How to bake AO onto textures in Blender?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2496 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How do use Blender to bake ambiance occlusion directly onto a mesh that I've created in Blender. I am aware of the "combined" baking option, but that includes shadows, which I don't want. I also know about using Photoshop, but I'd rather do it in Blender. How can this be done? Thank you.

Not exactly sure what you are asking but Ambient Occlusion is in the same dropdown as Combined; right above it. This WILL give you a grayscale texture with AMBIENT (not cast) shadows. If you merely want a UV layout  with only the outlines of where you would add your texture, then you save that in the UVimage editor under IMAGE > SAVE AS IMAGE after you have unwrapped. No need to bake in that case.

ambient occlusion.PNG

Is there any particular reason why you don't want to use an image editor for the job? That seems to be a much better option. With Paint.net, which is what I use, it's a simple four step operation and you get far better control over the result than what Blender seems to be able to offer.

Edited by ChinRey
Removing suprefluous info
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sally Audebarn said:

Well, to be honest, painting on UV maps seem to be a bit challenging.

Oh, you mean how to create the AO map? That's easily done in Blender the way Chic mentioned. Here's very good tutorial video.

Essentially, what you do is let Blender create a pure AO map and then you merge it with the texture in an image editor.

Edited by ChinRey
typo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2496 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.