Forced log out because of Region?

Bigfutabitch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello. I've been having this problem for a little while now. Usually during a RP session so it is rather irritating. Sometime I can not move my avatar or type in text. After a short while I will get a prompt that says "Darn. You have been logged out of Second Life. This region may be experiencing trouble. Please check your connection to the internet." Sometimes the prompt just pops up  I know for a fact it is not my internet. Is this something I can fix?  I saw in a forum to press CTRL Shift 1 to bring up the stats after the DC. I am not afk. My complexity is around 60-70k. The Ping Sim is normally low until DC, less than 100ms. Stats are right when It says I'm disconnected then once I re-log back into Second Life.591cb81edf24b_Logoutmessage.PNG.5db3bb210c28ab9077c34efbd2aec1c9.PNG591cb827b9745_SLstats.thumb.PNG.832a2b3681fe9e936f7e2c5186800c69.PNG591cb89df3cce_SLstatsonline.thumb.PNG.741ce3a1b059086dce78e7eda576d4b7.PNG

23 answers to this question

Yup, that's what's doing it.  Your ping time just before you were dropped from SL shot up to 10,000 msec.  You were so far out of sync with the servers that they lost track of you.  Unless everyone else in the region was dropped at the same time, the culprit is likely your own Internet connection.  You seem to have plenty of bandwidth, not that SL really needs very much.  The problem is that something has stalled transmission briefly, so that instead of taking just 93 msec to travel between your computer and the servers, it's taking 10 seconds.  If you haven;t already rebooted your router, do it now.  If you're on a wireless connection, use a cable or DSL connection instead.  Many people have no trouble at all with wifi, but it's not supported or recommended by Linden Lab, because there's too much chance of signal loss or corruption.  Check all your cables and connectors.  Ask your ISP to check the connector at the street, too, if necessary. 

FWIW, ping time typically spikes when you teleport, because it takes the servers some time to realize that you have changed position radically.  That's normal, but the spike is usually on the order of a couple of hundred msec, and it's very brief.  The servers recalculate your position and ping time drops back very rapidly.  I suppose that it's possible that a very busy server -- having to deal with a lot of teleports and rezzing and managing physical objects -- could lag enough to drop your connection, if it was already a bit wobbly.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yup, that's what's doing it.  Your ping time just before you were dropped from SL shot up to 10,000 msec.  You were so far out of sync with the servers that they lost track of you.  Unless everyone else in the region was dropped at the same time, the culprit is likely your own Internet connection.  You seem to have plenty of bandwidth, not that SL really needs very much.  The problem is that something has stalled transmission briefly, so that instead of taking just 93 msec to travel between your computer and the servers, it's taking 10 seconds.  If you haven;t already rebooted your router, do it now.  If you're on a wireless connection, use a cable or DSL connection instead.  Many people have no trouble at all with wifi, but it's not supported or recommended by Linden Lab, because there's too much chance of signal loss or corruption.  Check all your cables and connectors.  Ask your ISP to check the connector at the street, too, if necessary. 

FWIW, ping time typically spikes when you teleport, because it takes the servers some time to realize that you have changed position radically.  That's normal, but the spike is usually on the order of a couple of hundred msec, and it's very brief.  The servers recalculate your position and ping time drops back very rapidly.  I suppose that it's possible that a very busy server -- having to deal with a lot of teleports and rezzing and managing physical objects -- could lag enough to drop your connection, if it was already a bit wobbly.

Thank you for the quick reply.   I will try to reboot the router.   I am hard lined with a desktop. The modem/router stands on my desk. It seems to happen more if I can many web browser tabs open. I also notice it more in cramped areas with a lot of items that use poses. I will get back when I can after I reboot and try it for a while.

I doubt that will make any difference, but there's never any harm in having a second viewer to compare with.  In this case, that huge spike in Ping time is a pretty clear indicator that there's a problem in your Internet connection.  In addition to the suggestions I made earlier, you may want to look at the deeper analysis in Nalates's blog.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bigfutabitch said:

Also . A friend recommended using Firestorm Viewer. Any thoughts?

The difference between the standard viewer and Firestorm is mainly the user interface. Under the hood they are pretty much the same. But as Rolig said, it's always a good idea to have more than one viewer anyway and you shuold try a few different ones to find out which you're most comfortable with (don't take anybody's advice at face value here, choice of viewer is very much a matter of personal preferences).

As for the connection problems, the stats show a mildly overloaded sim. Not so much that it should cause connection problems but enough that we can't completely rule out the possibility that it is server side. The question is, does anything in aprticular happen in the sim right before you're logged out? Something that can cause big load peaks?

Rebooting the router is still the first thing to try though.

On 5/17/2017 at 3:22 PM, Bigfutabitch said:

Also . A friend recommended using Firestorm Viewer. Any thoughts?

I believe as soon as anyone has problems they should install a second viewer. If the same problem is in both, then it isn't the viewer. Saves a lot of troubleshooting time.

This type of problem is either a viewer crash or a network issue and mostly a network issue. While you may have a great general Internet connection, you may have a horrible connection to the SL servers. The Internet is made of thousands of components. In a single session in SL your connection may change routes several times, each using different hardware. There may be a problem in the route you are using. That is why you have to test the connection to the SL servers. To figure out what to fix you have to know if it is the viewer, your computer, your router/gateway, your ISP, a backbone ISP, the Linden network, or the Linden host.

Firestorm is a power user's viewer. It is no harder to use than the Linden made a default viewer. So, don't be scared off. Other than a couple of things being in different places in the menu, it is similar to the Linden viewer. There is a lot of neat stuff in the viewer. So much so, they have in-world classes.

If you are using a 32-bit viewer, get a 64-bit viewer, assuming you are running a 64-bit OS. The crash rate for 64-bit over 32-bit is about half. For a Linden 64 see Alternate Viewers.

Without knowing more about your computer (usually include info from HELP->ABOUT..) we can't tell if a different cause is likely.

• Like 1

Hello again. I'm back still with the same problem. I've mostly just been dealing with it but I would like to try and find a fix. Here is my Help>About

Firestorm 5.0.7 (52912) Jun 13 2017 03:57:58 (Firestorm-Releasex64) with OpenSimulator support
Release Notes

You are at 190.5, 177.6, 2,202.1 in Samwise located at sim10715.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.53.77:13004)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Samwise/191/178/2202
(global coordinates 283,327.0, 267,186.0, 2,202.1)
Second Life Server 17.07.27.327933
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU       X 990  @ 3.47GHz (3471 MHz)
Memory: 24568 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 15063)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 22.19.0662.0004
OpenGL Version: 4.2.13491 Compatibility Profile Context 22.19.662.4

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.47.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1i zlib/1.2.8
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.9.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.61
LLCEFLib/CEF Version: 1.5.3-(CEF-WIN-3.2526.1347-32)
LibVLC Version: 2.2.4
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.6.0017.22050

Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (High Contrast)
Window size: 1920x1017 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 96 m
Bandwidth: 1000 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: Medium-Low (2/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: No
Texture memory: 2048 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2017-5-23T3:25:52 
Built with MSVC version 1800
Packets Lost: 0/1,735 (0.0%)
August 19 2017 23:38:52 SLT

I have 2 open Support tickets on the Firestorm forum.

The first one here. The person stopped talking to me. https://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/SUP-18496

The second one here. 2 Weeks with no reply. https://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/SUP-18718

I was told to make the 2nd one by the people in Firestorm support group. All they tell me now is to wait till someone replies to my ticket and ignore me.

I've done everything the first ticket told me to do with no changes. Changing my DNS to Google Public DNS. Restarting the router. Setting my network setting to 500, 750, 1000, 1250 and 1500. My speed test is relatively the same. I live in Chicago and the only real difference in the Arizona speed test is the ping. Changing my graphics setting. Having everything that is using the internet turned off. Steam, web browsers, Discord, all turned off. Tried turning off my Anti-Virus in hopes that it was blocking something. My hopes are that I am just overthinking this and the answer is simple. I will take pictures of each tab in my setting and send it to someone if I need to.  I just want to fix it.

So... you are going nowhere really fast.... :(

When all else is failing and when you and those helping have no clue, look in the viewer’s log files. The viewer has various log files you can read to get an idea of what has gone wrong. Look at the log immediately after you crash or exit the viewer. Logs are replaced the next time a viewer starts. You’ll find the logs in:

C:\Users\[Win_login_ID]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs\

You will change folder and file names based on viewer used... But, they are all similar.

• crashreport.log – This log is generated when the viewer crashes, the previous version of the file is overwritten. Rename this file if you plan to restart the viewer before examining the file. Otherwise, just read it with a text viewer (Notepad is good).
  • debug_info.log – This file is internally formatted as an XML file. I never find it of much use. It is mostly the specs of your machine.
  • SecondLife.log – This is the main log file. I find it the most useful. Start from the end of the file and work toward the beginning. Search for ‘WARNING’ and ‘ERROR’. With any luck, the messages there will give you an idea of the problem. Recent changes have added a section heading to parts of the file that can identify the general nature of the problem. There are lots of performance stats included.  At the end of a non-crash log there are secession stats;  Run Time, Average Packet Size, Dropped Packets, Resent Packets, etc. The file is replaced and recreated for each viewer secession.
  • SecondLife.error_marker – I don’t know what information is inside. I don’t have a copy to examine as I write this.  The presence of the file indicates where, when, and what error happened. I think this is a disaster backup file for crash reporting in which information about the crash is retained in the event the crash handlers are destroyed before they can create the other more complete crash files.
  • SecondLife.start_marker – There is no information inside. The presence of the file indicates how far into the start process the viewer has gotten. Whether the file exists or not is the pertinent information.
  • SecondLifeCrashReport.log – This is another file internally formatted to XML.  It is created when the viewer crashes. I think this is the new version of the crash log. It is mostly text.
  • stats.log – This is a short file containing network statistics. Similar information is in other log files. It is an easy to read set of stats that show how many packets were dropped and resent in a secession.

I find the SecondLife.log is the most useful file for tuning and troubleshooting the viewer. It is verbose and reasonably easy to understand. There is a Debug Setting that allows you to increase or decrease the level of reporting.

Most of these files are erased when the viewer starts. If you plan to send the files in with a trouble ticket or bug report, place copies in another folder before starting the viewer.

Marker files are temporary and may or may not exist at any given time.

Entries in the files associated with errors and warnings are labeled as such. That makes them easy to find by searching. Search and read through them starting at the end of the file and working backward.

Warning entries are common and do NOT necessarily mean there is a problem. Some warnings are a part of normal operation. Some errors are trivial and do not indicate a ‘noticeable’ problem in the viewer’s operation.

22 hours ago, Bigfutabitch said:

Thank you.  I use Firestorm right now. I found the log and see a few lines that say warning. Next time I get disconnected, I will take a look. I hope the "End Message Log Summary" is what I am supposed to look at.

Since you are getting tossed off... look for ERRORS.

Which you found... The HTTP 502 suggests a problem in the server on the Linden side... as 500 errors are server errors but, as we do not have a load of people here with the same problem yours is unlikely a Linden-side problem.  As we all use a 'gateway' to access the Internet the problem is likely your gateway (also called a modem, switch, router, or access point).

If restarting your router did not fix the problem, run through the troubleshooting steps here: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

19 hours ago, Bigfutabitch said:

I'm going through the steps. I have the Ip address I'm using but I don't see where in Speedtest I can test a direct Ip address

Speedtest is nice. But, you can use TRACERT to get more detailed information on where the failure is.

With cable services, just complain. They are renting you the gateway. Maintenance is their problem. Quit often the problem with cable is the signal strength reaching the gateway or said another way, in the cable outside your home. The cable techs have to measure signal strength. I find with cases where no one can find the problem, it is almost always signal strength. I think that is because it varies and creates an intermittant problem. 

The TRACERT may show the problem or not. If it is intermittant from signal strength, you may have to catch it. Try as soon as you notice the problem with SL. Hopefully you'll catch it. Plus, the reporting may be inconsistent. It may report a problem downline because the ping coming back from that router/switch hits a weak signal moment. Since the ping got out and doesn't make it back, TRACERT reports it as a the remote router failing. The actual problem is at the local gateway. The ping return at low signal was too faint to register.

It is the cable company's problem to sort this out. If you tell them SL is the only problem and all else is working, they will figure they can avoid doing anything and just figure it is the SL servers and tell you to call SL. If the TRACERT shows failures, regardless of where, show them that. Complain your favorite game is having problems and it is just you, your friends are NOT having a problem and you have been talking with Linden Lab and other players. The problem has been tracked to your connection and your local gateway. 

Once it is clear that you are doing due diligence and getting knowledgeable help from beyond the SL owners, most cable companies will get on it.

If not... Know cable companies are franchised monopolies. They are very sensitive to complaints to the 'franchising authority'. Usually the local community, county, city... So, if you are not getting help, let the cable company know your next steps, which are; call the city and ask who handles the cable franchise. Start complaining to them. If that fails start complaining at the state level. Who that is varies by state. Worst case complain to the to the FCC about the cable company, city, and state. Feces slides down hill... Eventually you'll hit a pain point as the feces storm grows.

Be persistent, unemotional, frequently call and politely annoy pleading for help with the big bad cable company (most bureaucrats are sensitive to drama and you escalating to higher authorities), and be resolute. With just a little activism you can create loads of paperwork for them, something management will react to. It is easier to send a tech than keep responding to city and Federal queries about their customer service. Summarize the troubleshooting steps listing each and the result so they can see where it is pointing. Also in each complaint briefly summarize your steps to date to show this current complaint is a last resort following lots of work tracking the problem's cause down and you unwavering resolution to get it fixed. The TRACERT results are the most damaging. Even while most bureaucrats won't understand the tech, it looks like CSI type DNA evidence. So, they take your side.

I've been a bit dramatic about last resort steps... I think it conveys what your possible options are.

And explicitly, you do NOT have to buy another router/gateway, even to test, since you rent. They should replace it for free. But, you may want to check purchase price verses renting cost. You can usually cover the purchase cost in rent fee savings over 18 months. Then you are money ahead. Router/gateways last about 4 to 5 years, at least.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.