I was very active on Second Life a few years back... WHAT HAPPENED?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Poor Lucretia, it looks like you may have downloaded the new View2 and entered SL in Basic mode. You need to check the advanced mode before entering SL to be able to use all the functions. Being an old timer you might feel more comfortable in one of the third party viewers.

How long were you offline before you tried your account again? More than a year? There have been reports of inactive residents losing everything connected with their account.

I am back in after a 6 month hiatus. Everthing is in there but it did take a while for my inventory to become visible and searchable.

The Phoenix Viewer would be my recommendation as well. It's the one I use. I don't use Viewer2 and that's the reason I can't give you specific instructions on how to get out of Basic mode. I think as you become familiar with some of the new features that are available on viewers now a days you'll be very pleased. Things like being able to attach multiple objects to a single Avatar attachment point and the Tattoo layer.

I think she managed to get out of Basic Mode no problem - it's the 'loss' of inv that's the problem.

Lucretia

It may take a while for it to show maybe going to a really quiet low lag sim and logging out so you log back in there might help.

And wait for your whole inv to load before doing anything - go make a coffee or take the dog for a stroll or something.

If that doesn't work maybe contacting support might.

Good Luck

I'd recommend the Phoenix viewer also.

And Mags' suggestion regarding sounds good too.  Pop your av into one of the many empty Linden oceans and try to load there. Inventory should come back eventually.

And as a last resort if nothing else works, I'd submit a support ticket.

Lots of luck to you.

Lucretia Freschi wrote:

Where are my things? My friends? My saved places?

I am truly confused.

Buy new things (merchants love that) ....Make new friends (they've all quit or re-aved)....Find new places (just because after a few years, they are likey just gone)

Be not confused, and welcome back.

Happy hunting.

How long were you offline before you tried your account again? More than a year? There have been reports of inactive residents losing everything connected with their account.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linden Lab is meticulous in protecting accounts no matter how long they have been dormant. Many residents have been away from SL five or six years NP. Actually, I recently met a guy with a fairly new account who told me he'd simply forgotten his older accounts. Anyway, with a little nudging from me, he contacted LL and easily reactivated those old accounts.

Deltango Vale wrote:

Linden Lab is meticulous in protecting accounts no matter how long they have been dormant. Many residents have been away from SL five or six years NP. Actually, I recently met a guy with a fairly new account who told me he'd simply forgotten his older accounts. Anyway, with a little nudging from me, he contacted LL and easily reactivated those old accounts.

the trick is whether or not the account was a paid one or not.... accounts created before the they were free were guaranteed lifetime content retention... but free accounts were set to eventually delete their inventories after they'd been idle for a certain amount of time (original content might remain if it was still in use by others)

Thanks for this info. I have always been a bit puzzled by Lifetime Members. Unlike Charter Members, their membership does not appear in their profile. Are Lifetime Members those who had paid accounts who converted to Basic (free)? Do all Basic (free) accounts now have an expiry date? Was there a land-tier component to Lifetime membership?

there's actually two types of "lifetime" memberships.... there's the official kind that none of us could distinguish from charter membership (it came with an icon by the account type IIRC and the same 4096 land grant) and then there's up poor sops that just had paid basic accounts.... and the only benefits on those are higher stipends for premium (500$L) or free $50L stipends for each we they log in if not premium.

when free accounts were annonced it was stated taht existing accounts would have their content retained for as long as the user held the account. all new accounts could have their content deleted if they were inactive for a period (I think 6mos was the original proposal which was bumped to a year). banned or requested for deletion by the owner, accounts would have content purged after a few months regardless (not immediately, to combat frustration remose).

there were also inventory server purges later, of old copy content that was no longer referenced by active accounts, and thus was born prim boxing of inventory to prevent deletions from the grid.... I think that policy was abandoned though.

mind you some of the details in there may be slightly off... it's been a few years and history was never my strong suit =)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.