Spikes coming out back of classic head!

Cate Foulsbane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2567 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wear a classic head and a Maitreya mesh body. Last night, when dancing, I noticed dark spikes coming out the back of my head and right through my mesh hair as I moved. .Looking at the texture of my head, I see a black "baked" area..something to do with classic hair choices, I think. Why is this think sticking out when I move? Why now? How do I get rid of it?

Are you using the latest version of your viewer? It sounds a bit like what people see when they are viewing Bento heads and hands but don't have a Bento viewer.  I haven't seen that on anyone but I am using the lastest version of Firestorm. I guess it could possibly be an issue if you are on one of the pre-release Linden Viewers, but it does sound like a viewer issue.  A photo might be helpful for others. 

It sounds very dramatic. I am aware of small parts of the default hair that can poke out if the texture is not set to transparent.

But large spikes, large enough to be visible through the mesh hair? I agree with Chic. Here we need a picture of the bald head.

She does not wear a Bento head, what else can be "Bento" around the head? Bento ears?

Sounds like good old system hair-base, as for why now...

Hmmm I remember when I came to SL, and knew almost nothing about it, I got hit one day with some weird physics based attack, this thing made my "bald" SL system hair-base into a vertical plume about a foot high sticking out of the top of my head, editing it made no difference, the length sliders were al lstill at zero, replacing it didn't seem to work either, the replacements went glitchy too, I had to move to a different region and wear a different hair-base to fix it.

I think I fixed it, thanks to Marianne Little!  The word "transparent" got me thinking and fiddling around. I had a big black blob inside my head..I love trying to explain this to people outside SL..and later it was grayish. Not sure how I did it, but managed to make both textures transparent..and voila! No more blobs in my head and no more spikes coming out when I dance! Yay!  Maybe spikes was a bit dramatic, as words go, but they sure looked pointy and sometimes horribly obvious. Gone now, though, and I am a very happy camper. Thanks to all who responded..helped!  Oh, and I do have the latest Firestorm viewer. Thanks again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cate Foulsbane said:

I think I fixed it, thanks to Marianne Little!  The word "transparent" got me thinking and fiddling around. I had a big black blob inside my head..

That's the old style system hair hidden inside your avatar's head. In SL we're all hairbrained. :P

Simply making hair base alpha isn't an ideal solution btw because if the hairbase is big enough to extend outside your avatar's head it can still interfere with anything you wear on your head. Better make sure all the sliders are set to zero too so you're sure it's small enough to stay inside your head.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

That's the old style system hair hidden inside your avatar's head. In SL we're all hairbrained. :P

Simply making hair base alpha isn't an ideal solution btw because if the hairbase is big enough to extend outside your avatar's head it can still interfere with anything you wear on your head. Better make sure all the sliders are set to zero too so you're sure it's small enough to stay inside your head.

Yes, but if the head is small, like some Japanese and very small avatars like it, there is a tiny bit of hair poking out. Best is to do both - set all to zero and use transparent texture on the hair. I think even I, with my rather average head size, had a tiny bit showing under the chin. Before I learn the transparent texture trick.

Yep, it was that nasty slider hair. But...all the sliders were set at 0. Now, set at 0 and invisible/transparent. And I have never thought of my head as tiny..just normal. Until last night and this morning when shrapnel became a problem. I'm going to dance my posterior off tonight and hope NO odd things come poking out. Thanks again!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2567 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.