Adding new Skins to your Avatar

Sycopath

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm some what new to all this adding new skins and what not. But I can't seem to get the new skins(body & head) to work properly. I can get the entire body(neck down) but can't get the head to work without the old skin showing through or the head to have any eyes and then I get two layers of over lapped skin. I just spent the last 3 hrs trying to figure it out. I'm frustrated beyond my limits at this point. I just can't get it. Seems like nothing wants to work with this skin. Does anyone have advice or even wanna help in game to help me fix this? I'm just about to quit SL all together. Any help is appreciated. 

*in game name: Sycopath

If you are wearing mesh body parts with some exposed classic skin, then you will need to use a skin which comes with both an applier compatible with your mesh body (e.g. for Maitreya it must have either a Maitreya or Omega applier, and you must also have the Omega relay for Maitreya) and a skin layer for your classic body. You wear the classic skin and run the applier to cover the mesh parts.

The fast way to copy what you are wearing is go to appearance - wearing.

SL has an annoying and difficult  learning curve. There are also different body and head makers who don't work the same way. It is no SL "standard" for creators.

It can be so easy as this: you are not wearing enough alpha layers. You need an alpha layer for the whole body + head. Different heads have different solutions for eyes, so we take that problem when we know what you are wearing..

How to wear multiple layers, like alpha layers, is to never use "wear". Wear detaches you previous layer. (Like, if you wear the head alpha first, and then wear the body alpha, your head alpha comes off) Try to use ADD instead. Add also works for attachments. I try to avoid using wear. It mess things up for most avatars. LL should remove that button, in my opinion.

Try to see if this helps for your old skin showing through the head.

Edited by Marianne Little

It takes a while to get used to all this stuff, so don't quit in frustration. If you can give us a few more details (or, better still, a screenshot) then we can help you out.

First of all, can you tell us exactly which body and/or head you are wearing? It may be any of the following combinations:

• a mesh body that you've purchased, plus a mesh head that you've also purchased
  • a mesh body that you've purchased, plus the original system head
  • the original system body, plus a mesh head that you've purchased
  • the original system body and system head (you purchased no extra body or head)

A quick glance at your profile shows you to be (probably; I never like to assume!) male and inworld for about six years, so I'm guessing that you've purchased a mesh head and/or body and need help with them. I'm going to quote sections of your post and then ask further questions/make suggestions accordingly.

"I can get the entire body(neck down)"

I assume this means that you've got the body applier to work and it's applied correctly to the mesh body that you're wearing?

"can't get the head to work without the old skin showing through"

If you're wearing a mesh head: by "old skin" I assume that you mean your system avatar head is showing through the mesh head? If so, then make sure that you're wearing the alpha layer for the head that you've purchased. Or, if your mesh body comes with different alpha layer options, look for one that covers your system head as well. (This is no different from a non-mesh 'old-style' system avatar having to wear a bald base to cover that godawful system hair so you can wear hair that you've purchased.) As has been mentioned above, always right-click and 'add' new items, don't right-click and 'wear'.

"or the head to have any eyes"

Mesh heads have slightly different placement on the body than system heads. An example of this would be: if you have mesh eyes that you've edited to fit your system head and you then try to wear them with a mesh head, they will either bulge out too far or will be sunk halfway down into your cheekbones, and you'll need to edit them into place to fit your mesh head. (If you then took off your mesh head and its alpha you'd see the newly-edited mesh eyes hovering in front of, or sunk right back into your system head.)

System eyes (the ones whose icons are a pair of eyeballs) won't work with a mesh head. You need mesh eyes for this. Either your head will have a pair of mesh eyes in its folder, or you'll need to purchase a pair of mesh eyes yourself.

"I get two layers of over lapped skin"

I don't really understand what you're saying here. What I think is happening is that your system head is showing through your mesh head, since it's not really possible for a mesh head on its own to have two overlapping layers of skin (even the mesh heads that contain multiple layers).

The other possibility here is that you're wearing a mesh body with the system head, you've purchased a system skin that goes with the mesh body applier you're wearing, and yet your original system skin is showing on your head instead of the new one. What you need to know here is that many skin creators these days only offer appliers for mesh bodies and heads, and if they do sell system skins (for their newer creations) they're either for the body or the head (but usually for the body only).

Example:

A system skin for someone not using a mesh body might only have the textures on the body and not the head of the system skin, because the creator assumes you've purchased the mesh head applier for that skin. Or the textures might only be on the body while the head has a blank white texture. This is down to the fact that many mesh heads have different texture maps, and it's a lot of work for creators to re-jig their work to fit system heads as well as the mesh heads that they're creating for.

I don't think that second option is what you're seeing here (indeed, I don't even know if it's possible for a previously-worn skin to show when a new skin is worn, even if that new skin has an alpha texture for the head section; in that case surely the original Linden avatar skin would show?) but I'm mentioning it anyway.

In short: What would help most of all to help you is if you could post a screenshot of what you're seeing. 

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:
  • a mesh body that you've purchased, plus a mesh head that you've also purchased
  • a mesh body that you've purchased, plus the original system head
  • the original system body, plus a mesh head that you've purchased
  • the original system body and system head (you purchased no extra body or head)

not to make it more complicated... but there are also original starter mesh avatars, those will respond also different than the original system body

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.