Place for beginners?

Syliag1987

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

Caledon Oxbridge University is the same way, so be sure to visit there as well as NCI.  Also, just open your Search function and look for "Freebies".  You'll get a zillion hits.  Be prepared to throw away 95% of what you find, because a lot of it is ancient, outdated stuff (and a good deal is of questionable quality), but also prepare for the fun of discovering some very fine things.  Some of the best freebies are available because the creator has left SL and decided to set all of her creations to full perm, so that anyone can copy them. 

The only real warning I would offer is the same one that I give to my grandchildren: don't accept candy from strangers.  Some freebies are in fact dangerous items that are scripted to gain access to your account or to at least cause you inconvenience or embarrassment.  Accept gifts from people you have come to know and trust  -- until you have at least learned how to avoid or defuse the occasional surprise booby trap items.

• Like 4

Hi Syliag, and welcome to Second Life!

I am on the staff at Caledon Oxbridge University, so of course I appreciate and agree with the recommendations of my colleagues here!  NCI is great, too.  One resource they did not mention is New Resident Island.  http://secondlife.com/destination/new-resident-island  I mention this one in particular because they have a large freebie shopping area.

Also, the Destinations Guide lists all these places, plus others.  See this link: http://secondlife.com/destinations/howto/newbie/2?c=howto&s=newbie&offset=2&lang=it-IT

• Like 1

Try NCI (New Citizens Incorporated) which has been around forever since that is where "I" learned stuff and I am OLD.  They have classes and LOTS of new folks. There are likely some free things there but for fee things, it is best to watch for groups that give gifts. There are some groups you can join that have announcements for gifts but I am guessing we are not supposed to list those. Also there are some nice free things on the Marketplace, it just takes a lot of looking. 

• Like 3

Deciding what is safe or dangerous is challenging. About the best measure we have is 'age'. How long has a freebie store been around. Less than a month... big red flag use lots of care.

Also, things given to us by unknown people. Check the age of the avatar being so friendly. Griefers usually don't last long in SL. They do keep coming back as different avatars. But, that forces to a new age.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2540 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.