what is an independent land?

DorianDiaz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello guys. I read this on an user's profile:
XXXXX regions are operated independently from LL.  You are not required to have a 'Premium Account' to own land here.
When you buy land on XXXXXX, you own the land.  You have full ownership rights to your property.
Does it means that it exist a region with lands that can be "owned" making a single payment?
If so, do you know a FAQ or any resource with more info about these lands?

Thanks.

*waves* Hello @DorianDiaz Resident

It basically means the estate owner that owns the regions you speak of pays monthly tier to LL to own the region and have full rights to it to do as they please. In this case they choose to rent out pieces of the land to other residents in hopes to turn a profit. These estate owners do not operate on mainland which is owned by Linden Lab in which case you would need to be a premium member in order to purchase land. There is no land in second life that can be purchased and owned off one payment, all lands still owe monthly tier to linden lab. I posted this link in a previous post but here it is again, it explains the whole renting from other residents concept and how it works. It may help you understand the terminology used in rental ads better. Hope it helps. 

Edited by Lisa006 Baxton
  • Like 1

On 06/04/2017 at 7:54 PM, DorianDiaz Resident said:

XXXXX regions are operated independently from LL.  You are not required to have a 'Premium Account' to own land here.
When you buy land on XXXXXX, you own the land.

I know I'm late in the thread but I want to comment on it, because what I quoted is very misleading.

1. As Alwin said, XXXX regions are not operated independantly from LL, assuming that the land is actually in SL, that is.

2. When you buy the land, you do NOT own it. The user you 'bought' it from still owns it and can take it back from you at any time - again assuming that the land is actually in SL.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

There is an excellent detailed discussion/explanation in the Wiki.

Q3) What is the difference between land on a private estate, and land on the mainland?

The difference between them is that 'mainland' land is run by Linden Lab and associated tier fees are paid directly to them. Mainland is originally purchased through an open auction system and then generally resold to the public in world by the auction winners. Private Estates are purchased by individuals or companies and while Linden Lab owns the servers, the estate owners have control of the land and can do with it whatever they wish within the Terms of Service rules. You must be a Premium member to buy land on the Mainland, however you may rent land on the Mainland or an Estate, or buy Estate land as a basic member. So, the mainland is run by Linden Lab, and private estates are run by whoever leases them from Linden Lab. For some of the detailed differences and advantages/disadvantages of each see Q5.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Land_Buying_FAQ

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.