something blocking my way

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, greek Wingtips said:

Want to Thank    qie and fizzle for coming down and sorting the problem, we never worked out how the griefer managed to make the item invisable so it could not been seen at all

So griefers now have the ability to edit other people's things? 

Why were you not able to take or delete your own objects?

Edited by Pamela Galli

I can edit a mesh object in a way that it is not selectable anymore. If I make it invisible using alpha mask its a nice blocker that will baffle most people.

But I can always select everything on the sim by using Pathfinding/Linkset and then I can delete/return it.

Only the old ghost prims require a sim restart but I haven't seen that in the last few years.

12 minutes ago, Nova Convair said:

I can edit a mesh object in a way that it is not selectable anymore. If I make it invisible using alpha mask its a nice blocker that will baffle most people.

These sure had me baffled. I could maybe explain the effect if there were some way they could be Mesh, but that seems impossible because, based on creator, they apparently started out as parts of an all-prim shoutcast board. Somehow they were edited into a state that was invisible and unselectable beyond any alpha masking trick I know (that is, they stayed invisible with all shaders turned off and highlight-transparent turned on). I honestly don't know if they were still box prims or some very cube-like sculpty, but somehow even at 64m dimensions they had OBJECT_PRIM_EQUIVALENCE of 1 and OBJECT_STREAMING_COST of 1.0 which is probably a big clue but I don't know what it means.

Ah, yeah thanks. Actually, these had a pretty cubic-shaped collision envelope, so probably a variant.

I tried pretty hard to select the things by surrounding them, unsuccessfully, but they were huge and maybe it could have worked eventually.

You're right that keeping it a prim would fit the streaming cost, and LI would stay the same as long as prim accounting is used - which would be fine for these, not needing the alpha-masking. (I'd completely forgotten the whole heated 2011 controversy about these things, but had the jira bookmarked.)

Kinda. These specific ones started out as parts of a legit creation that was shared with group, and then were apparently edited into monstrosities by some group member.

Per the jira, such monstrosities are still possible because the Firestorm Bridge uses a microscopic variant, and there may be some other old content that used other variants. You can still create them in Firestorm, but not in the Linden viewer nor by script, as best I can tell anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.