SL Relationships

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4655 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Everybody has their own reason(s) why they came to SL.  I was not that familiar with the 'environment' before I joined.  I heard it mentioned, in fleeting comments, on several occasions; until one day it just clicked - and I joined.

In reading the old GD forum and even in this new Answers forum, I realize many people specifically came to SL for relationships: whether they be creative, friendship, partnering (ostensibly a hugh money maker for LL,) or just sexual in one form or the other.

Today there was a post in ANSWERS where someone was looking to "meet the women."  It was an innocuous post where it did not allude to any specific type of woman - nor did the Op state what type of relationship they were seeking; only the desire to meet.  I assumed the OP was new to SL.

Where is information about SL advertised?  Is it advertised as a 'relationship' environment?   DId another player recommend SL to you, if so, was it relationship oriented?   Is it relationships that 'lures' people to SL or are they serendipitious?   Before I joined I was not aware of these activities.

I am very glad and lucky that I met the friends that are on my friends list.    

I joined SL out of curiosity and without knowing what to expect, having seen a feature about it on a cable news channel. Its enduring fascination to me is "people watching". I tend to remain slightly detached and watch on, often with bemusement, at how others interact. I think many people enter SL having experienced difficulties forming relationships in RL and believing it may be easier to do so in SL. However, the truth is, as it appears to me, that the same social skills needed to succeed in RL are those that stand you in good stead in SL. If you lack the social skills to form relationships in RL, chances are you will fail in that respect in SL also.

I read an article that talked about virtual worlds and mentioned SecondLife.  Since it was 'free' to join, I thought that I would give it a try.  I had absolutely no expectations.  I figured I would try it out for a couple of weeks and see what happened.  At that time, there were few help aids other than what I learned in my couple of days on Orientation Isle.  I thought my n00b self was so cool....then I left Orientation Isle for the rest of the grid and was blown away by the creativity of the environment.

I remember the first club I found, an early version of Element.  A nice guy offered me a dance (incredible since I was very n00b and he was very not) and we had a great time chatting.   It was around that time I started perving profiles primarily to look for interesting places to see in the Picks tab.  I noticed that some avatars had partners. 

I am very fortunate to have met a few close friends.  They are what make SL a wonderful experience for me.

I came to SL while seeking a place where a dear friend and I could interact as we once could in RL. She was terminally ill with cancer. As long as she lasted we were again able to dance, laugh and cry with few restrictions. It was therapeutic for us both and I still see her (so to speak) when I log in.

In my line of work I still recommend to those in my care the possibilities that virtual worlds offer as a way to break free from the chains of illness, even if only for a brief moment.

Shortly after my friends passing I met someone who was more than helpful to me in this specific period. We are still together almost 3 years later.

The reasons for being in SL are as varied as the people that log in. Relationships in SL whether seeking them or not do happen and can be strong in their bond.

My only fear is one day (who knows when) SL might or may cease to exist, there is only one thing here I would miss to no end and that is my friends. :)

I didn't know much at all about SL when I joined. I certainly had no preconceived notion of it as a place to find relationships and "adult" activities.

When I first joined, I had heard of SL through a professional trade association I belong to which at the time had their own SL registration portal. They were seeking volunteers to participate in an in-world training class that would be broadcast live at a RL conference session, to demonstrate SL's potential for virtual classrooms. I did not join at that time, but I became intrigued about the the possibilities of virtual worlds for job training. Eventually my curiosity got the better of me and I created my first account.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Storm!  I joined SL by pure accident.  I was doing a Google search back in 06 for Second Life, and after life, and I found the SL website.  That's was all it took to get me totally hooked on this thing called Second Life.  I was not looking for any relation ship at the time, but did partner with a lovely British girl,  That lasted for about 2 months.  Then I partnered with my Ladysue, and have been with her from then on!

Peace!

Hello,

I was invited to SL by a friend I met on MySpace, we used to role-play together and he was already a member of sl. I never heard of such a virtual reality and had no idea what sl was all about!   My so called friend was very helpful with dressing my avi and opening boxes, but never showed me the grandeur of sl! I had no idea how big it really was or even knew I could fly, dance, change clothes or even buy things! Eight months later I can say is it has been a tremendous experience I am learning something new every day! I so love this virtual reality and I’m totally captivated and in awe of this magical place called sl.

~*Ivy*~

There used to be this website called Hero Machine where you could pick different shapes, skins and clothes and create a character... I loved it and would spend hours playing around with it.

Then one day, by accident, I saw a game called City of Heroes sitting on the shelf at a wholesale store. It seemed to have the same kind of functions as the Hero Machine site only with more options; and you could take your character and do things with it, mostly kill bad guys. I had to have it.

It was a lot of fun, though the frustrating part was that once you created your character, you'd have to go through leveling up and completing special missions just to change clothes, bummer. So I ended up spending more time creating new characters then I did trying to level up the ones I already had... lol.

Okay, here's the juicy part... So, I was on a gay forum site one day (it was quite sexual in nature), and someone posted something about SL, and how it was a cool place you could go to roleplay the particular fetish that was the focus of that site. So I looked into it and ZOMG!!!

When I realized you could create characters and dress them up and change their shape whenever you want, I knew this was for me. And from the moment I joined I was astounded by the possibilities.

At first playing "Barbie" (or should I say "Ken"... lol) was great, then there was the sexual aspect, which for me was like pr0n and erotica rolled into one (of which I'm both very fond). Then I started building things and it took me back to when I was a kid playing with Legos... how incredible!

At the same time I able to meet people from all over the globe, made some very good friends, whom I cherish dearly, and eventually fell in "SLove" with someone. Amazing! Right?

Wow, laying it all out like this really brings home to me the reason I love SL so much. Thank you Storm for starting this thread.

...Dres

• 3 months later...

I'm a new avatar but I have been in SL for a while now.  I had to make a new avatar because I wasn't really into any kind of internet game or virtual world or whatever.  So I started with one avatar and quit shortly after because I wasn't interested.  2 years later I decided to try again.  I made another new avie because I forgot the password to the first one.  So here I am now.  When I initally joined SL, I didn't know about it well.  I thought it was just some glorified game.  Now, so far, I enjoy all the worlds in SL, fixing up my avie, the music, the good people, and all the creations.  I'm not the horny housewife looking to hookup with a man for sex or partnership.  I'm not a single shy person of any age looking for love in any form either.   I only come on to just enjoy all SL has to offer.  I'm not into the sex thing or hooking up with any man or woman.  I don't want to or need to.  But I find that when I'm at a club listeing to the good music the dj is putting out and I'm enjoying the conversation, some guy has to IM me looking to hookup.  I have to keep telling them I'm not interested.  I once got insulted by one man because I wasn't interested in sex, cybering or voice.  What nerve!  I insulted him right back.  I can't seem to enjoy any area without being IM'd by a guy looking to hookup.  I'm now resorted to making a title that I'm not looking.  I had to put in my profile that I'm "NOT LOOKING"  I still get men commenting that I have to have a problem as the reason for posting this in my profile.   I know it's not only men looking for this.  I know there are lots of women also.  I just wish people will stop and read the profile first, respect that persons wishes and stop assuming everyone is there to hookup.  I've done everything to putting it in my profile that I'm not looking, to partnering with a friend just to keep people from IMing me to hookup, to putting it in my title!   And some people dont even read profiles!!!  No matter what, someone IMs looking for that.  It's getting a little tiring and I'm getting upset.  I don't even come on SL as much anymore.  I wish everyone joing would realize that not everyone is looking for sex or hookup.  They should respect other people's wishes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4655 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.