I want to allow my friend to set home in my house and it wont let her

Ellen Taur

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 121 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

7 answers to this question

Right.  You may only set Home in a place where you own the land or where a group you belong to owns land and has given you the right to set your Home there (or on a Linden Info Hub). So, the trick is to create a group, set the land to your group (or deed it to the group, if you are not in a Linden Home), and thn invite your friend to join the group.

Read https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Creating-managing-moderating-and-disbanding-groups/ta-p/700111

A word of advice:  When you create your group, make your alt a co-owner of the group. There are two reasons for doing that.  First, a group will disappear in 48 hours if it ever has fewer than 2 members, so you need a way of assuring that you have two members who will never leave.  Second, your alt is the only person in SL you can trust.  Once a person is a co-owner of a group, you can never force them to leave.  Ever. A group owner has full power over group assets, and may choose to sell or abandon your home at any time.  Your best friend, your partner, and your mother cannot be trusted to always act in your best interest.  Your alt can. :smileywink:

• Like 4

I've never understood why setting a home location is so restricted. The only purpose it serves is where to land if you "die", as the docs put it.   My friend had trouble setting up her land/group to let me use her place as my home. So, I still have land I haven't rented for nearly a decade as my home. Really seems like a lot of nonsense to me. You should be able to make any location your home.  I mean, baring some sort of hard restriction, you can TP anywhere you want, right?

9 minutes ago, Jaenie Crystal said:

I've never understood why setting a home location is so restricted. The only purpose it serves is where to land if you "die", as the docs put it.   My friend had trouble setting up her land/group to let me use her place as my home. So, I still have land I haven't rented for nearly a decade as my home. Really seems like a lot of nonsense to me. You should be able to make any location your home.  I mean, baring some sort of hard restriction, you can TP anywhere you want, right?

Would you really want just anyone to land in your home when they've been ejected from someone else's land?

We have control over who can come into our land or home in SL, especially if we've paid for this right.

29 minutes ago, Jaenie Crystal said:

you can TP anywhere you want, right?

No.  You can't TP into my house unless I allow it.  Some places.won't even allow you to tp within the region.  You have to walk everywhere.  Stores do it all the time.  They have a set landing point so if you try to TP across the store, you end up back at their designated landing point.

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Just to clarify, you can still fly unless they have flying disabled, right?

a fyi. There is an exception to the flying disabled parcel parameter. If we are already flying when we enter the parcel (either by crossing or teleport) we continue to fly

is done this way so people flying across a continent of multi-owner parcels, like mainland for example, are not shot out of the sky (forced to land). If we land ourselves tho we can't take off again from that parcel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 121 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.