Why does Linden Labs dont accept Debit Card payment when they have the option in Add Payment Method?

MadyHades

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello !

I have been using Second life since a few months now , I love it but I have this one serious concern and complaint from Linden Labs, I wishh they resolve this soon, I dont have any Credit Cards, I only use Debit Cards and Skrill ,but neither of them work for me here.Whenevr I want to purchase Lindens I have to ask my Friend favor for it. Why does Linden Labs dont accept Debit Card payment when they have the option of it in Add Payment Method? http://prntscr.com/dmz3sy I have confirmed that my Bank service is not Blocking the card. and my cards are working everywhere but here. They even take money from my account but which are sent back after some days. I know this is all linden Labs issue and they have control over it. I always have to wait for my friend to be online and able to send me lindens . I wish they do something for it.

P.S I  love Seond Life. So take this question as a request rather than complaint. Debit Cards are accepted everywhere. and I just Found out that LL accepts Debit cards from only US Residents. 

9 answers to this question

It's complicated, and I'm not an accountant or financial person but I'll try! Obviously I'm not involved with LL in any way, this is just my opinion as someone who helps manage a payment provider as part of my day job.

Debit accounts have different legal requirements for processing and also need special procedures. Debit accounts are also charged different handling fees and are subject to VERY different fraud and security requirements (because almost anyone can get a debit account).

In short, when you're used to processing CREDIT, debit accounts are a lot of hassle.

An alternate theory is that LL really, really likes to maintain the complicated and secure cash-out process, and using a debit payment method might open them up to a higher degree of liability, fraud and/or individuals making a 'run' on their accounts. I don't know how likely this scenario is.

• Like 4

oh well because i cant afford one.my question, blame and complaint is not from the worlld ONLY Linden Labs. Everyone acceptss debit cards than what makes Linden Labs so insecuree or say hungryy for Credit Cards? EVERYWHERE DEBIT CARDS are accepted and if you read my question properly Linden Labs have the option of Debit Cards but i guess they consider only US residents VIP and Secure LOL

yes yo do blame others for your things.. Credit Cards, Paypal and Skrill are the accepted methods... take it or leave it as it is now....

And NOT everybody accepts debits/prepaids... and NOT everywhere are those accepted.

They want security AND transparancy, LL informs the IRS and other tax offices about your doings here, they cant with anonymous debit/prepaid cards. Simple.

@Alwin Alcott I would say you life in the use.

Anyway, for many counteries a creditcard is not a normal and common payment system people use.

Credit card compaines also demand that you have a minimum income, as example 1200 / month. before you can get one,if your i come is under 1200 / month, you not get a creditcard. . So a creditcard is still for many people a fail.

My advise to the poster is to look at paypal and link that to you bank account. If you cannot get paypal i do not know any solution.

• Like 1

I understand your problem, but posting a request for a feature or a policy change here in the Answers forum will not produce any results.  You could try submitting a "feature request" instead, but I doubt that LL will change their policy.  About the most they'd do is clean up that old reference to "debit cards" in your screen shot.

But what you CAN do is to link your Skrill account (or PayPal account) to your Real Life bank account.  PayPal calls this "verification"; I'm not sure what Skrill calls it.  The process will take two or three business days.  Once your account is verified, transfer enough money from your bank to Skrill to cover any charges you anticipate from Linden Lab.

Now that your account is verified and has money in it, try setting it up as your chosen Payment Method again.  It should work, and you can then use Skrill for your Second Life financial matters.

kolorijo,

If you used the "Limit Buy" option to buy your $L, you could wait a long time, maybe forever, to get your money. How long you wait depends on what rate you are offering.

If you don't want to keep waiting, cancel your order. The money will go into your $US Dollar balance, and you can then use it to buy $L using the Market Buy (Instant Buy) option.

• Like 1

From and earlier post about this....

Just to be clear on what is happening.

Linden Research Inc, when presented with a new Payment Method for your account [that is not immediately rejected from a list of known non-compliant card types] will perform a verification debit of up to $1.00 USD. I remember when this used to be 0.30 cents. Then Linden Research Inc, will reverse the Debit transaction and Credit your account.

If you are presenting a gift $$ card, it will usually fail as the immediate credit transaction [reverse of the Debit transaction] is not allowed. This is when you get the "An Error has Occurred" message. Later in the evening during the normal daily clearance batch processing for all electronic transactions, Linden Research Inc, will request a cancellation of the $1.00 USD debit which can take up to 72 hours depending on the Gift Card product.

This is the only way Linden Research Inc can determine that an attempt to use a Gift Card product was tried as a payment method. Some Gift Card products have a unique range of card #s which make them easy to reject before this test, most don't. If you do nothing else the $1.00 will be credited back to the Gift Card eventually.

Many people try the same Gift Card a few more times causing more test debits to be drawn from it. The results are still the same. This is when most folks finally contact the Linden Research Inc, Billing department.

Unfortunately, the card reject message from the CC companies is not 100% clear on why the credit transaction is rejected. LL can't always assume that this is because the product is a pay out only Gift Card thus the need for the generic "An Error has Occurred" message.

There are many other reasons for a Bank Card debit and credit transaction to be rejected as well.

This is why you'll need to contact the Billing department of both Linden Research Inc and/or your own Bank Card company.

EDIT:

P.S. - Even if you have a refillable Gift Card please understand that the only company that can refill the Gift Card is the original issuer. This is why, when Linden Research Inc attempts to reverse the Debit transaction by Crediting your account, it fails.

If you want the painful details as to why here is a link to a post I did a few weeks ago...

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Linden-Dollars-L/i-have-a-big-pb-because-i-m-in-belgium-and-no-possible-to-buy/qaq-p/2950159

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.