Premium, are you actually getting 512m2?

CordeliaDeLear

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just recently upgraded to premium and chose a home. The home itself is fine and I have accumulated enough stuff to make it habitable but I don't seem to have 512m2 of land available.

The house and attached decking form a L shape and the remaining area within the rectangle that the L sits in is not available to me (I can't rez there and anything that I move there is returned to its former position). I have effectively lost approx. 57m2 (approx. 11%).

The knowledge base is a bit ambiguous/unclear about whether you are entitled to 512m2 of space with a SL home although it does say "Your Linden Home must remain as it came on its 512m2 parcel."

I have raised a support ticket with SL but I was wondering if others had noticed whether or not they were getting the full allocation.

A Linden Home exists on a 512 sq.m. parcel. That does not mean the house itself is 512 sq.m., as that size includes the terrace, and possibly other landscaping on the parcel.

If you choose to not get a Linden Home, you can use your 512 allotment to cover the rent of a mainland parcel somewhere else (buy a mainland parcel, and it won't count towards your land budget), BUT you will not then get the benefits of having a house on that parcel that does not count towards your prim limit.

Land is allocated using a grid of 4M squares on a 2D plane, 16M2 at a time.  As such, a land allotment of 512 will require 32 4x4 squares.  The 2D layout of these squares can be anything from a 4x8 rectangle to a 1x32 strip or anything in between.  (^_^)

You can view this arrangement both by opening World >> About Land, World >> Show >> Property Lines, and World >> Show >> Land Owners.  All will provide a measurable representation of the land you have alloted to you. (^_^)y

CordeliaDeLear wrote:

I have effectively lost approx. 57m2 (approx. 11%).

It can't be quite 57. As Immy explains, land comes in 16 m² quanta, so maybe 48? or 64? It can't be in-between.

Linden Homes parcels are not all rectangular, but they are all supposed to be 512 m² in size, so if About Land on your parcel doesn't show 512 -- and assuming we really are talking about a Linden Home parcel -- then you've got a rare one indeed!

I don't know if this helps you understand it better.

Top left picture is view from above house.
Bottom left is showing the board I have put on the roof, covering the balcony and the decking area you can see sticking out from the side of the house and the grass area that is a continuation of that decking in front of the house (i.e. between those two trees and the house). The right hand picture shows the board from a different view to show what it is covering a bit better.

It is all approximate but close enough...

The size of the board (14.21x35.46) indicates 504m2 which is close enough to 512m2.
However, I am not allowed to use that grass patch (nor any area past the ends of the house or on the other side, which you would expect).

To me, it looks pretty obvious that the grass area running from my front door to the end of the house, matching the width of the decking, should be mine to use. However, when I show the boundaries that piece of grass is excluded so, no way do I have 512m2.

òk BilliJo helped me resolve it.

When the rectangular board is taken down to ground level (instead of on the roof) it is obvious that it doesn't cover all of the decking and that piece that isn't covered is equivalent to the piece of grass that I am missing.

It's all about perspective.

I apologize to everyone.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.