A lot of Questions for any Linden: The free are goods for the sl economy?...

Paulyta Miles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When you open for example appareal in the marketplace you can see frees, frees and more frees...

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?search[category_id]=3&search[page]=1&search[per_page]=12

my question is: why you give a big priority to the freebies? are they good for the sl economy?.

Why this new marketplace dont have a category exclusive for the freebies?

xstreetsl.com has one.

Xstreetsl has a lot of features, why you dont include it in the new marketplace?

about the viewer 2.6:

why you hide all the good things about second life?

what your are making your  viewers (2.5 and 2.6)  so heavy?

the global crisis does not allow for a good computer, not many people can have one, why you left the viewer snowglobe? was perfect for any PC and it look beautiful.

your new viewers are very heavy, hide the best of second life and they do is scare away new users.

Why you make the  web profiles? takes  long time to load and that is very annoying

Thanks and sorry for my bad english.

You can ask directly to Lindens :) See:

Paulyta Miles wrote:

When you open for example appareal in the marketplace you can see frees, frees and more frees...

=1&search[per_page]=12

my question is: why you give a big priority to the freebies? are they good for the sl economy?.

Why this new marketplace dont have a category exclusive for the freebies?

xstreetsl.com has one.

Xstreetsl has a lot of features, why you dont include it in the new marketplace?

Go to Marketplace User Group: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Marketplace_User_Group

Paulyta Miles wrote:

about the viewer 2.6:

why you
hid
e
all
the
good things about
second
life
?

what your are making your 
viewers (2.5 and 2.6)

so
heavy
?

the
global
crisis
does not allow for
a good
computer
not
many people
can have one
, why
you
left
the
viewer
snowglobe
?
was perfect
for
any
PC
and
it look
beautiful.

your
new
viewers
are very
heavy
hide
the best
of
second
life
and they
do
is
scare away
new users

Why
you make the

web
profiles
?
takes

long
time
to load
and that
is very
annoying

Go to Viewer Evolution User Group: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Viewer_Evolution_User_Group

Irene Muni wrote:appareal in the marketplace you can see frees, frees and more frees...

Go to Marketplace User Group:

Humm, thanx for the info.

So, I f I want to go to this meeting, where I have to go? This is what I read on that wiki, 4 different slurl :P

The next meeting is April 6, 2011 at 10am at SLurl 1 SLurl 2 SLurl 3 SLurl 4

edit: great, have an error trying to post and pressing post again send me to a "Post flooding detected" O_O

Catwise Yoshikawa wrote:

Irene Muni wrote:appareal in the marketplace you can see frees, frees and more frees...

Go to Marketplace User Group:

Humm, thanx for the info.

So, I f I want to go to this meeting, where I have to go? This is what I read on that wiki, 4 different slurl
:P

The next meeting is April 6, 2011 at 10am at SLurl 1 SLurl 2 SLurl 3 SLurl 4

edit: great, have an error trying to post and pressing post again send me to a "Post flooding detected" O_O

The meeting is held at the center of 4 sims so overflow is not an issue.

I'll chime in on the question, though i'm not a Linden.

FREEBIES are good for SL, and when used properly can help boost your own business -- just as they can be in real world marketing.   I'll work on a indepth post on this topic for my blog, but a few reasons are:

1) Freebies allow new SL users to customize their avatar at no expense as they are learning SL -- building a future customer base for those who will eventually spend L$

2) Freebies drive quality in the marketplace.  If they can get what you offer for free, then you have to raise the bar and do better.

3) Inworld freebies and dollarbies drive traffic.  FabFree (Fabulously Free in SL) is one of the largest groups in SL (http://fabfree.wordpress.com/   They welcome creators/desingers that offer the occasional freebie or group gift and let them promote the offer (at no charge) to the group -- over at least 18K users (likely 20K or more now)  

4) Successful freebies on the marketplace can help draw customers into your store and recruit longterm customers who get to sample your products and see your product quality for free.

Like all marketing, freebies also need a good strategy, otherwise you could give a way a lot and make nothing in return.  I'll cover some of those in my upcoming post.

Hope this helps.

Freebies also provide a default content stratum, which I think SL needs both to have and to allow to gradually expand.

The users are the money and the new users are the new money.

Step one is getting people to start accounts, step two is persuading people to continue using them, and step three is persuading them to pay for things. 

If you try to change the order of these things, it won't bring as much money into SL. It just won't.

And there is always more money to bring into SL, because people could just as well spend it on gambling, prostitution or drugs. We are not talking about millions of otherwise-directed entertainment dollars; we are talking about billions.

The persistent expansion of freebies in both variety and quality keeps people coming back long enough to want something even better, rather than logging off and spending their money in places where we, as SL merchants, will probably never get a piece of it. (Which outcome do you prefer?)

Freebies also provide material for modification and recombination, so they actually help keep commercial content development a little more robust, and give newer developers a chance to hone their skills without paying a lot in the process.

Bottom line:

If you feel like you are losing because you can't compete with freebies, your stuff can't possibly be anything very special; is it really fair to try to punish other users for your own failings by discouraging freebies?

Sassy Dirval wrote:

I'll chime in on the question, though i'm not a Linden.

FREEBIES are good for SL, and when used properly can help boost your own business -- just as they can be in real world marketing.   I'll work on a indepth post on this topic for my blog, but a few reasons are:

If freebies are good for SL and your business  is debatable. I do not think they belong on SLM as separate products, it contradicts the whole purpose of SLM. Freebies most certainly do not deserve a sales rank and a relevance rank as they do now. Freebies should at least have a separate search and not be included in the default search on SLM. The best place for freebies is inworld as it incites new residents to explore new locations while searching for freebies.

The problen with freebies is that some categories have only 0L items on first pages, guess search is not working as it should cause I notice that changed months ago, and some categories were fixed afeter warning them.
Frebbies need their own category, as Demos, cause if I'm searching for a 0L item dont want to have to search for them into a lot of Demos.

Xstreet had a frebie thing very well done, but I'm just thinking, from the last meeting, that they didn't know about it :P

I have successfully used freebies and loss leaders in-world and on SLM (and xstreet).  The primary thing to consider is whether the freebie is a marketing tool, or is your product competing against something with a $0 price point.

As far as search result competition, broad topic searches display more high-volume freebie sale items than specific searches.  For example, blouse vs corset.    Blouse results in a number of freebies, yet corset shows far less.

Thankfully, internet-wide trends show Internet users using more complex searches -- averaging 4 terms per search.  If the marketplace is even half that (at two terms) even less freebies show up.

I think the advantage of reviews adding to a higher score keep low-quality freebies out of the mix -- allowing creators to use quality freebies as a marketing tool and allowing it to rise above the junk.

• 6 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.