Joining a family advice

SallyBees

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2758 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wanted advice on how to join a family. What makes a family good in your opinion/what are their values morals, respect, etc. I am looking for a demon or furry family. Is it hard to find a family? What sort of adventures do you go on with your family? Will it take months before I find the right one?(im guessing it will, no always the first try.) 

SallyBees wrote:

I wanted advice on how to join a family. What makes a family good in your opinion/what are their values morals, respect, etc. I am looking for a demon or furry family. Is it hard to find a family? What sort of adventures do you go on with your family? Will it take months before I find the right one?(im guessing it will, no always the first try.) 

Sally, you talk about this, as if its a natural and very common thing in SL to have a "family". It honestly isn't. There certainly are some people, who roleplay as a family. Some are very deeply bound to an RP sim, where there is a lot of complex story going on. Those are not different than any other form of organized roleplay. And then there are the more...uhm "casual" ones, which I haven't understood in all my years in SL. It would never come to my mind to call random strangers my family and pretend to be related to them without a reason...people with that sort of stuff in their profile creep me out a little.

What makes a good family: For me, it's about in and out of game respect. I approach SL as a video game and family RP as fun. But I understand that for my family, SL is basically real and taken very seriously. What that means is that things that happen in SL mean different things to each other. It also means that things get a little blurred, since my family knows some details about my personal life, and I bounce in and out of character (and I know details of theirs). Knowing that SL is so real for so many people, it's important to approach being in a family with sensitivity. We've had people come into the family and then bail, and that really hurts the rest of the family for a long time.

Finding a family: I'm not a demon or a furry. I have seen adoption ads for them, but you should understand that the further you stray from the norm, the fewer people do it. In my limited experience, things like family RP and school tend to lean more towards modern day humans. While I have done adoption trials within days of putting up an ad, it could take you weeks or even months to get a hit. Similarily, it has taken me a while to find a good family (basically months). Scaling that up for a smaller playerbase, it could take several months to even a few years to find a good, lasting family, but you could also get lucky and find one fairly soon.

What we do: We don't do too much anymore, partially because I moved across the planet. Most of our time is us spending time together, telling jokes, and sometimes using RP huds like Xeolife. However, we have had birthday parties, school events, and I did do a little story where I got sick and my dad looked after me for the few days. My dad also came to some RP sims with me and met some other people I knew. At the end of the day, like the rest of SL, you'll get out of a family what you put into it. If you are really active and creative, you could go on vacation, cook together, and do anything else as a family that you could do in RL or elsewhere in SL.

I hope that helps.

SallyBees wrote:

I wanted advice on how to join a family.
What makes a family good in your
opinion/what are their values morals, respect, etc
. I am looking for a
demon
or furry family. Is it hard to find a family? What sort of adventures do you go on with your family? Will it take months before I find the right one?(im guessing it will, no always the first try.) 

Hmmm...let me think here a moment......

Oh, ok. I got it!

Let's review the words in red, and ponder the following...family, good, values, respect and morals.  Not sure if demon is gonna work out for you if those are your values.

My opinion?  Figure out what you really value.

Solaria Goldshark wrote:

SallyBees wrote:

I wanted advice on how to join a family.
What makes a family good in your
opinion/what are their values morals, respect, etc
. I am looking for a
demon
or furry family. Is it hard to find a family? What sort of adventures do you go on with your family? Will it take months before I find the right one?(im guessing it will, no always the first try.) 

Hmmm...let me think here a moment......

Oh, ok. I got it!

Let's review the words in red, and ponder the following
family, good, values, respect and morals
.  Not sure if
demon
is gonna work out for you if those are your values.

My opinion?  Figure out what you really value.

Internet "family member", internet "demon", they're not so different. Each has a place on the same spectrum.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2758 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.