Disappearing Jewelry! .. is it me??

Wallace Wirefly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it me or maybe my viewer but recently I have noticed that certain jewlery, like necklaces and wrist bracelets, are not showing up on my avatar. I look at Items Worn and shows I am wearing. If I Detach and  Wear again it appears fine. Then after awhile i no longer see. I wonder if  I changed a setting or if Linden has, again, modified their program to cause havoc in scripting of these items. Anyone else out there seeing this or am I going blind ? :) Thanks

It's probably the dreaded "RenderVolumeLODFactor" debug setting. If it's set too low it can cause small sculpted prims to not render properly.

It used to be the case the setting it to 5 worked best, but I heard something recently that suggested 3 was now the magical figure.

You can read more about it here:

http://virtualfashionfeed.com/tag/rendervolumelodfactor/

It's not exactly dreaded. Jewelry, especially with nanoprims and sculpties, places a large burden on the rendering engines of SL and adds to everyone's lag. LOD will try to drop jewelry as fast as it can, since it's wasteful to burn bandwidth on something that practically nobody can see or will care about. When you dress your avatar, be sure to check your ARC (avatar rendering cost) and see how much rendering cost you're blowing on your bling.

Rusalka Writer wrote:

It's not exactly dreaded. Jewelry, especially with nanoprims and sculpties, places a large burden on the rendering engines of SL and adds to everyone's lag.

Naw, not exactly.  In fact nothing is rendered at all on the SL servers.  A sculpt  is just another texture and in the case of sculpt maps, they are smaller than the texture of a single strand of prim hair. In fact if you made an attachment with max prims and every one was a sculpty, the total of all those sculpt maps would fit on a single system shirt texture.  Now your personal graphics card my struggle to render a sculpy, but then it would be under speced if it could not builid the object from a simple open graphics call ... but no one else will be affected by that at all since it, like all other rendering, is limited to your local PC.  The shared resources of SL grid are not  being used.

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

Now your personal graphics card my struggle to render a sculpy, but then it would be under speced if it could not builid the object from a simple open graphics call ... but no one else will be affected by that at all since it, like all other rendering, is limited to your local PC.  The shared resources of SL grid are not  being used.

All things to excess; moderation is for monks.

I have a bad feeling about this.

Rusalka Writer wrote:

It's not exactly dreaded. Jewelry, especially with nanoprims and sculpties, places a large burden on the rendering engines of SL and adds to everyone's lag. LOD will try to drop jewelry as fast as it can, since it's wasteful to burn bandwidth on something that practically nobody can see or will care about. When you dress your avatar, be sure to check your ARC (avatar rendering cost) and see how much rendering cost you're blowing on your bling.

This is a big misconception, Rusalka.  "A lot of nanoprims and sculpts" will NOT add to everyone's lag.  Since most flexi hair is made of many many sculpts, if this were true (nowadays) nobody would be able to move.  We know that this is not the case.  There is a very informative blog you should read that explains what lag is NOW, what it isn't and how to put a stop (or lower) it on your computer!  Give it a read through and you'll understand more!  CLICK HERE  to read the article.  :smileyhappy:

There has also been a past jira on prims disappearing in large linksets, and this affects jewellery, hair, and other attachments. I believe that it has been fixed for some viewers, as I hadn't noticed it for a while. However, just recently, it's become an issue for me again in Phoenix, so I need to do some more reading on it. It is caused by the "rendermaxnodesize default setting" being too low, and I think this is different to the renderVolumeLOD low default issue (which is simple to rectify via tweaking the debug settings).

I hope someone has some more info on it.

Thanks to all the replies. I am using Phoenix latest viewer. As far as LOD I usually set at 5. My graphics card is NIVDIA 460 Windows 7 so rendering is not an issue. As far as Avatar cost I do that all the time :) Understand what adding additonal items to ones avatar does for "rezzing" one's avatar and try to keep as low as possible without running around naked ; -)

The MAXnode I have not tried and this maybe the issue for small (nano ) prims used in Jewerly and could be the settings have been changed in Phoenix's viewer. I will experiment and see.

Thanks again for all your inputs :)

May the force be with you!

RenderMaNodeSize specifies the maximum amount of memory a single object can use for geometry data. The default is 4MB for low and mid settings, and 8MB for high and ultra I believe. When an object hits the limit the viewer just stops rendering the rest of it, that's how you end up with jewelry missing half the sculpties.

Thanks leliel. I knew I could count on someone clever to come along. I assume you mean that the low/mid/ultra settings are your graphics settings? Or can RenderMaxNodeSize be set in the debug menu? (I'll have a fiddle with my thingos when I log in.)

You can change RenderMaxNodeSize in the debug settings, altho I believe it gets reset to the default if you move the quality slider (untested). Be careful of just how high you set it tho. Objects that use more than 8MB of vram* for geometry data are already what I'd consider resource hogs.

* It uses vram when VBO is enabled, system memory otherwise.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4770 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.