What mesh body to get I have no idea

kalliopi Ziplon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2928 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have the demos of them all I was all about maitreya when I show tonic  and  ebody  , now I am so so so confused. Those 2 bodies are less money and  the tonic one sound too good to ignore.... fitmesh compatible, no need to get slink hands and feet, unlimited saves of alpha-cut combos &  layers directly into the inventory, omega compatible without needing a hud and just for 2000L.thats why i got confused and i want to know if there is something bad  that i do not know about them. 

Also if we compare those two tonic  and  ebody   what are the yes or no of them ? Do they even have free updates? Can you save layers at their hud and if yes how many?

So I am between 3 mesh bodies and I do not know what to do , maitreya everyone  knows it so many have it but you have to pay for feets and arms , the other 2 no one really knows them as I ask around but its lower price , I get to wear all the clothes I have but those that do not have omega or for fitmesh or clasic avys its ano to me if i have this body  and no need to have flat and M feets to wear those slink shoes .

Anyone can help me out? Does anyone have them  ?

I suggest you take a look at the reviews at http://meshbodyaddicts.com/

There is one thing you should be particularly aware of. According to meshbodyaddicts, both eBody and Tonic have ARCs around 100,000.

By default the official Second Life viewer automatically derenders all avatars with an ARC higher than 80,000 and it's probably just a question of time before the major third party viewer introduce that feature too. That means that if you wear one of those bodies in public, lots of people won't see you at all.

It turns out that the 80k default setting was a viewer bug, as Whirly pointed out at a User Group meeting today. :matte-motes-whistle::matte-motes-little-laugh::matte-motes-dead::matte-motes-big-grin::matte-motes-agape::matte-motes-zipped::matte-motes-oh-rly::matte-motes-smitten:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-18195

The default values are these actually.

• Low: 35k
  • Low-Mid: 100k
  • Mid: 200k
  • Mid-High: 250k
  • High: 300k
  • High-Ultra: 350k
  • (Ultra: 350k)

I can confirm that this is the case with the Maintenance RC Viewer already. It jumped from 80k to 350k when I clicked Recommended Settings button.

arton Rotaru wrote:

It turns out that the 80k default setting was a viewer bug,

They 80 000 default limit was not a bug but very much a deliberate decision. It was pointed out very early in the development process that a threshold as low as that would affect a lot of "safe" avatars and LL was very clear they didn't consider that a significant problem. It's good to see they eventually changed their mind though.

But back to the items in question here: it's not 100k for a complete avatar, it's 100 k for a single worn item! Add a good hair, some shoes, some mesh clothing, some jewelry...

I hope the new default values don't send the wrong message to creators and others. I can see some people interpreting this not as an incentive to build or style more efficiently, but more in terms of thinking they are wasting complexity if they don't hit those numbers.

(Reply not to arton specifically, though he or she is probably at least 70% responsible for my drive to improve efficiency in my mesh work :matte-motes-smile:, but to the numbers in arton's post.)

Back to the original question ----

I would go with one of the more mainstream bodies over the less expensive ones. Being fitmesh compatible means very little. More and more good designers are making items specifically for Maitreya and other popular bodies (I have Maitreya). The folks that know how can make things that don't even NEED the alphas turned on and they fit perfectly.  I have not seen that with either of the two bodies you mention.

To be fair there are also mesh makers (full perm in most cases) who label their items for bodies but that obviously do not have the files (or perhaps the skills) to do a good job. ALSO, pay very close attention to the HUDS as you will be using these all the time and the easier they are to deal with the better.

Good luck.

Bitsy Buccaneer wrote:

I hope the new default values don't send the wrong message to creators and others. I can see some people interpreting this not as an incentive to build or style more efficiently, but more in terms of thinking they are wasting complexity if they don't hit those numbers.

Actually I thought pretty much the same. Because 350k won't help me much in a crowded area, regarding FPS. But I still have a preset saved at 80k. I guess I will continue to walk around with that. :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

ETA: It's  a he.:matte-motes-smile:

arton Rotaru wrote:

Actually I thought pretty much the same. Because 350k won't help me much in a crowded area, regarding FPS.

That is a crucial point of course. A lone 200k avatar posing for a picture won't do anybody any harm but a dozen of them dancing in a club may be enough to cause even the strongest graphics card to faint.

I don't think there's much risk creators will start maximizing ARC to fit the new levels though. It's hard to decide which numbers to aim at for a start. A low ARC mesh body still means you can add so much more of other lagginess loveliness to your avi without hitting the limit and that alone should be a good selling points. Besides, by sheer coincidence it seems most of the big names who make the big money for themselves and LL already tend to have products tailor made for these new levels. I can't imagine them wasting time on updates just to increase the ARC.

Chic Aeon wrote:

I would go with one of the more mainstream bodies over the less expensive ones. Being fitmesh compatible means very little.

That is a very good point. Regardless of what the maker may claim, you can't expect fitted mesh clothes to fit a fitted mesh body unless they were made specially for each other.

So I am bit confuded about that ARC meter. Just saw at the Meshbodyaddicts blog a comment from Tonic's body creator claiming he has fixed the ARC for that body. Does this mean ARC is no longer a problem for this body?

To be honest I fell in love with that body, and its HUD. I have even made half a dozen of custom shapes for its demo, while I was trying it with my current clothing. The docs even talk about a separate Outfit Saver that lets you save unlimited combos of Alpha cuts and layers directly into the inventory, and loading them at will, pretty similar to how normal Outfits work in SL... however the saver is not included in the demo.

The only catch I can see (besides that ARC thing you guys are mentioning and its supposedly fixed now) is the lack of direct support from clothing designers, but other than that it seems that this body has everything one could ever ask for. And for what a price!.

As I see it, with 3000L you can get a great mesh body along with a top notch skin of your own personal taste. But I kinda need confirmation from gilrs who have better knowledge and/or experience than me with female mesh bodies, before I go on and get it.

My major gripe from the HUD is that I can't switch the available feet heights (I have to loat them from the inventory) but in general the whole thing looks too good to be true, there must be a catch ... lol.

Thanks in advance!

hectic1 wrote:

So I am bit confuded about that ARC meter.

Your ARC - Avatar Render Complexity or Avatar Render Cost - is an estimate how much time it takes your computer to draw your avatar on your computer screen and on the computer screens of everybody else who see you. I'm sure you have noticed that the more people there are around you, the slower everything becomes. That's because the ARC of all the avatars add up, slowing down your computer. In really crowded places, the total ARC can esily get high enough computers to crash,

Until recently there were no regulations for ARC and few people cared or even knew about the issue. When things went wrong, they just blamed it on everybody and everything else. But this just couldn't go on and eventually LL introduced UiqkGraphics, a filter that removes high lag avatars from the scene, replacing them with monochrome silhouettes. It doesn't affect your avatar on your own computer screen but if you want others to see how great you look too, you better keep your ARC down to a sensible level.

Your avatar is not just that of your mesh body, it's the sum of all the items you wear. Let's say you have a 100,000 ARC body, 10,000 ARC mesh hands and feet, 60,000 ARC mesh head, 50,000 ARC hair, 60,000 shoes, 5,000 skin, 30,000 clothes, 60,000 jewelry, 50,000 of other wearable accessories, your ARC is... ummmm.... a lot!

hectic1 wrote:

Just saw at the Meshbodyaddicts blog a comment from Tonic's body creator claiming he has fixed the ARC for that body. Does this mean ARC is no longer a problem for this body?

That's good I suppose. But they couldn't be bothered to fix a serious problem until they were forced to? That's not a good sign.

hectic1 wrote:

The only catch I can see (besides that ARC thing you guys are mentioning and its supposedly fixed now) is the lack of direct support from clothing designers,

That can be a rather big catch actually. The people who make mesh clothes templates aren't going to make them for a specific body unless there is a huge demand for it. But with Omega support there's always applier clothes of course. Well made applier clothes can be much better than many people seem to realize.

Two more things to look out for:

Are the feet really Slink compatible? Don't take anybody's word for it, try yourself.

How noticeable is the seem at the neck? Always a weak spot for mesh bodies. Btw, if the manufacturer mentions smething about changing windlight settings to fix this: do not buy.

Thank you so much for such a detailed answer!

How can I measure the ARC of my avatar? It would help me evaluate better the demos of the mesh bodies I've collected so far, along with my current clothing, jewlery, etc.

The Tonic feet are indeed compatible, I have tested them with Slink shoes and they fit perfectly (same thing with the eBODY). I haven't tested te ehands yet though.

I was about to go with Maiterya (or Belleza) when those two bodies came to my attention. Its sooooo hard to ignore all their pros, especially the Tonic one for jus 2000L, but a little voice keeps telling me to go with a mainstream body lool.

hectic1 wrote:

How can I measure the ARC of my avatar?

Two ways:

With the latest viewer version you get a small window with your ARC every time you change outfit. It isn't visible for long though and easy to miss.

You can also find your ARC in the Advanced menu:

Advanced - > Performance Tools -> Show Avata Complexity Information

If yu don't have the Advanced menu enabled, type ctrl-shift-alt-D to switch it on

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2928 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.