what is the advantage of joining second life

Iddkiboga

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2895 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

Your question comes from a very odd viewpoint.

But here is how it is:

Second Life is a virtual world with its own economy. The currency used here is the Linden Dollar, which is exchangeable for real life US$. You can buy L$ for US$ and convert it back.

So the short answer is yes, you can earn real money in Second Life.

But (and this is a big BUT) you have to offer something, that will make other people want to pay you for. Money isn't just going to fall into your lap for just being here. Behind every story of financial sucess is a mountain of hard work and dedication. Many people already count themself lucky, if they make the amount of L$ equal to minimum wage. So you probably won't become rich.

If you want to try it here is my advice: Ask yourself two questions.

1. Do I have some skill, that I think will make me able to earn money with it? (For SL this could be 3D software skills, a talent with photoshop, the ability to write scripts, musical talent etc.)

2. Do I have fun using this skill, even if I would not get money for it?

• Like 5

Since you ask that way, I suggest you just play it for fun for now.

It is possible to make money from Second Life but imagine you're moving to a new town and you want to open a store there. You don't know anybody there, you don't know where the best locations are, you don't know the best way to market your store, you're not even sure what kind of store you want to open and no matter what business you choose, you will have to compete against a number of well established experienced actors. What do you think you chances of success are?

To add to that, June and July are the low points of the year for SL commerce. People are just too busy enjoying summer in Real Life to spend as much time and money in SL as they do the rest of the year.

Unless you already have a very well made strategy and something really unique to offer, it's better to just enjoy the ride for now. Get to know the land, get to know the people, learn whatever craft you want to focus on and slowly build a business over time.

• Like 4

If you expect to get rich in Second Life, forget it.  The people who do earn a fair income in SL are highly skilled creators and performers, plus a handful of people who have been involved with real estate in SL for a decade or more.  I have never met or heard of anyone who couldn't earn more doing exactly the same things in RL.  The bottom line is that creators and performers in SL do it because it's fun and it's a challenge to produce a high quality product or service in this competitive environment. The L$ is an extra, not the main reason for being here.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2895 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.