A niche that is lacking

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3044 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Designers,

With the mesh bodies dominating the world why is we see so few true Gorean garments available with appliers.  With the Gor population in SL I would think someone would capitalize on making quality garments with appliers for mesh avi's.  Now do not get me wrong, I have seen plenty of camisks for slaves, but what about the free people.  I challenge any designer or designers to fill this gap by creating a line of clothes for the Free people of Gor that will fit mesh bodies.

If you are not positive what a free person of southern Gor or Torvaldsland or the Plains should wear you have but to ask and someone will be happy to tell you or help or consult.  There are many intelligent, knowledgable people involved in Gorean RP in Second Life, people that have studied the writtings of John Norman that they might add color and depth to the RP.  People that are willing and deisre to share thier knowledge of things Gorean.

Jerrik Bjarnesen

There are other, larger niches that promise a better return on time invested.  That and most creators build to what inspires them.  You would have better luck looking internally for new designers (or possibly learning the skills yourself) than trying to convince outsiders to build your content for you.

Let me help you here.  In order to create items for a mesh body (a mesh item, not an applier paint on item), you really need the mesh body dev kit, the weighted model.

When applying for a mesh body kit, one reads this sort of thing, from one of the most popular mesh body creators:-

If you would like to request a kit to create footwear or mesh clothing, you can do so by filling out this form
Due to the high demand for these kits and the limited availability of them, we are not able to send a personal reply to everyone. If your store gets selected, you will receive an email about it.

I've applied, twice, been ignored twice, this renders my creativity for mesh bodies to an absolute nil.

I have no idea why these should be considered limited availability, it's a digital item!

Further, stating that people will be ignored... you can take from that what you wish.

SL is of no further interest to me from a development perspective.

So, you may want to check what's actually available for your mesh body before suggesting to people that they should be filling a missing niche, especially when the creator of your chosen mesh body may be actively inhibiting other creators from filling that niche.

Also throw in the minor point that much of the role play around Gor also tends to incorporate RLV at some point, mesh bodies are a bit pants when it comes to support for RLV.

Now i am not quite sure about this, but am i correct in thinking that a free woman of Gor has to cover herself pretty much everywhere? If so, what's the point of using a mesh body in the first place and then hiding 99% of it wearing a long sleeved high necked floor length gown over it? Just buy a standard sized gown (there are quite a few of them out there by now) and wear it over your standard SL avatar, which you are going to hide with alphas anyway! I never understood people trying to cram their mesh bodies into a full gown like that and then hiding 99% of it with alphas... It only creates unnecessary lag :smileyindifferent:

Many good points have been raised here.  I'll add one more.  Many designers are women and while many women RP in Gor, many women have a distaste for anything Gor and have no interest in designing for it.  I am not trying to start a debate on Gor and it's merits here.  Just stating a fact.

The suggestion that you approach people that already sell clothing for Gor is probably a good one.

As you are asking for suitable clothing for people who RP as 'free women' within the gor fantasy world, I wonder if you understand what is meant by 'applier clothing'.  Applier clothes are for those items that fit very closely, as they are in effext 'painted' onto the various layers closest to the body: underwear, tight t shirts, leggings/jeggings etc.  Thus there would be virtually no need for these items for a female avi who is normally attired in an almost burka like covering of heavy fabric, and veiled.

I think this may be why very few designers have bothered with aiming their applier ranges at this market.  However, since their undies will never be on public display, there is no reason why the good ladies of gor cannot freely enjoy the many thousands of pretty applier underwear sets already available.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Many good points have been raised here.  I'll add one more.

Can I give that a try too? ^_^

Very few mesh clothing makers make their own mesh. Some do of course but most buy ready made mesh templates and just add textures and mayeb scripts and such to them. A template maker wouldn't be interested in creating custom meshes unless it's something they themsekves are especially interested in or they are reasonably sure they have enough customers for it. That means the end user market would have to be big enough or interesting enough to attract hundreds of sellers, not just one.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

The suggestion that you approach people that already sell clothing for Gor is probably a good one.

I know Chaos Eternal made one or two freewoman outfits with appliers a while ago but she never followed it up. It would be interesting to know why.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Many good points have been raised here.  I'll add one more.  Many designers are women and while many women RP in Gor, many women have a distaste for anything Gor and have no interest in designing for it.  I am not trying to start a debate on Gor and it's merits here.  Just stating a fact.

Amen! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3044 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.