ASMR?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3116 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well I have tried doing the relaxing and soothing comforting voice and lip sounds thing when streaming soothing music during one of my sets and the audience ending up shouting to me "LOUDER KM!" So I did a LOUD smooch of the Mic and did my regular thing.

But I'm sure you can find some less easily influenced practitioners for your own needs.

If you want some musical therapy, please look me up.

I've experienced it three times here.  

The first time was when a friend and I saw some hair brushing pose balls and tried them.  She was in the chair; I was standing behind her.  I definitely had the ASMR tingles for the next hour as I brushed her hair.

The second time was when a friend came over to try the same pose after I had tracked the pose balls down and bought them.  We both had the tingles.  Since then, I've tried using them several times but it's only been relaxing and not the full tingles.

The third time was trying out a friend's pedicure pose balls with her.

Maryanne Solo wrote:

Are people really looking for "something" that much?

Yes.

Independent - Millions mesmerised by ASMR

ABC News - ASMR Triggers Brain Orgasms

Vice - ASMR, Good Feeling That No-one Can Explain

It's super-dooper crazy-loopy popular right now, has likely neurological crossovers with other high-empathy activities (such as Girlfriend Experience, something SL has catered for since Day0).

Annoyingly I've never had success as a participant (though occaisionally as practicioner), ASMR sets off all my brain-alarms telling me someone is being fake-friendly. Kind of an uncanny valley I think.

• Like 1

Extremely informative Freya ty. I did read most of those links.

I have watched two ASMR videos on youtube before reading this post.

An American friend posted me links to the first, I watched the second to confirm the trend

and now Im like... o.0

I think I will wait for yoyos to come back in myself.

Hoping on yoyo's myself, at which point everyone will bow before my cradling skillz.

Trend-tracking is tough, the ASMR community on Youtube seems to be the most vibrant and well-rounded. There are niche side communities that have seen a bit of a boom (like hypno) but nothing as big as the popularity that ASMR saw from about last year onward.

Was looking for links that drew the line between ASMR and other activities that are perhaps more relateable. I hadn't tried ASMR until a partner of mine introduced me, not very long ago and it is a bit... hard for me to get through, still. The common theme in the science is that [most] people respond well to being cared-for and low-level brain-stuff can be tricked into inducing parent/child dynamics. I would suggest that the proliferation of communities like this is probably typical considering the empathy draught in modern 'connected' or 'always on' life. Humans are still adjusting to a lot of new social concepts introduced in recent decades, and is natural to try and seek maximum fulfillment via the newly-appearing, digital methods. Could also be that 'connected' life has introduced new levels of distance between people who were pretty close in previous times, such as older generation/parents who are less 'wired' or less traditional relationship dynamics where affection is lower, such as Tinder.

This is just one avenue for that change to play out within. :)

Most of the above is my opinion based on observation. I will look for links if they'd be helpful.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3116 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.