Existentialism of a fruitcake

Ardvinna

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3019 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Dresden wrote:

There are bad fruitcakes and there are good fruitcakes.  The bad ones are usually bad because they're far too dry.  The good ones are quite moist and (as Pam has suggested) infused with enough alcohol to make the consumption of them

worth while
 tolerable.

My sister loves a good fruitcake... I've seen her enjoy them on more than one occasion, so I know it's not a fluke.  If she tells me they're good, I might even have a piece myself, depending on my mood.

Consequently, when someone calls me a fruitcake, I usually take that as a compliment.

...Dres  (...especially when I'm infused with enough alcohol to make me worth while.)

Fixed that for you.

And living in the Bourbon Capital of the world I must state that I have never seen anyone waste a single drop of Bourbon on a Fruitcake.  

Pappy Van Winkle would roll over in his grave!

I would caution you because in some parts of the State they might use Fruitcakes for target practice.

Although it features not bourbon but whiskey, even the Wiki article on Truman Capote's story/ode to fruitcake will make you cry:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Christmas_Memory

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Ardvinna wrote:

Camus is the most underestimated philosopher of the 20th century.

Though he could do some
himself, Richard Feynman might have argued that it's not possible to underestimate philosophers.

;-).

I referred more to the overestimated Sartre in Europe, who was a self referrential grand bourgeois. (Even philosophers have to have ethics.) 

Conifer Dada wrote:

Are we talking real fruitcake or virtual fruitcake?  

Do you deny the right of existence of a virtual fruitcake? ;)

And the real Fruitcake exists out there, waiting. soaked in enlightment, some call it bourbon, some whiskey, some single malt.

Dresden wrote:

What can I say?  My sister happens to like drunken fruitcake.

...Dres  (How else could she have tolerated me for so very long?)

You do make me wonder what would happen if you soaked a well aged Fruitcake in some good old still brewed moonshine.

I may need to round up some copper tubing and an old radiator.

Dresden wrote:

Ardvinna wrote:

And the real Fruitcake exists out there, waiting. soaked in enlightment, some call it bourbon, some whiskey, some single malt.

Southern Comfort may even do in a pinch.

...Dres  (Don't knock it 'til you try it.)

You guys forgot whisky. Strangely enough this recepy for scottish fruitcake has rum in it, RUM!

Note the tin foil in the preparation.

2 1/2 cups golden raisins (about 12 ounces)

2 cups dark raisins (about 9 ounces)

1 3/4 cups dried currants (about 8 ounces)

1 3/4 cups chopped glacéed fruits (such as red cherries, pineapple, and apricots)

3/4 cup chopped candied orange peel

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup plus 6 tablespoons dark rum

2 teaspoons each grated orange and lemon peels

1 teaspoon Lyle's Golden Syrup or light molasses

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour

1/3 cup self-rising flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (2 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 1/2 cups (packed) dark brown sugar

5 large eggs

Preparation

1. Mix first 6 ingredients in large saucepan. Add 1/2 cup rum; bring to simmer over medium heat, stirring often. Remove from heat. Mix in grated orange and lemon peels, syrup, and baking soda. Let stand until fruit mixture absorbs liquid, stirring often, about 1 hour.

2. Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter 10-inch-diameter springform pan, then line bottom and sides of pan with parchment; butter parchment. Sift both flours and salt into medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until well blended. Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Add flour mixture; beat until just blended. Stir in fruit mixture. Transfer batter to pan. Cover pan with foil.

3. Bake cake 2 hours. Reduce oven temperature to 275°F; continue to bake covered until tester inserted into center comes out clean but slightly moist, about 30 minutes longer. Transfer to rack; remove foil. Pierce top of cake all over with skewer. Drizzle 6 tablespoons rum very gradually over cake. Cool completely in pan. Cut around pan sides to loosen; remove pan sides. (Can be made 3 weeks ahead. Wrap in foil; chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3019 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.