Jump to content

Existentialism of a fruitcake


Ardvinna
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

 

Inspired by the discussion which evolved in this thread https://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/The-Friday-Thread/m-p/2999785#M219729, but yet distracted by cakes, and fruitcakes in special. I tried to elaborate the existentialism of a fruitcake.



 

    The fruitcake is the only entity, whose existence precedes its essence.
    The essential features of its substance; what it should be, what defines it as a fruitcake; actually don't exist.

    The position of the fruitcake is absolute freedom.

    The fruitcake is condemned to be free.

    There is no nature of the fruitcake, which defines the fruitcake, but the fruitcake is, into what it turns itself.
    The fruitcake is fully responsible for its individuality.
     With its actions it draws its own (fruitcaky) face, but it becomes also important for the whole community of fruitcakes.

 

Personally I rather prefer Albert Camus, it makes more sense to me. :)

"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth."
"The realization that life is absurd cannot be an end, but only a beginning."

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Ardvinna wrote:

 

Inspired by the discussion which evolved in this thread
, but yet distracted by cakes, and fruitcakes in special. I tried to elaborate the existentialism of a fruitcake.



 

    The fruitcake is the only entity, whose existence precedes its essence.

    The essential features of its substance; what it should be, what defines it as a fruitcake; actually don't exist.

    The position of the fruitcake is absolute freedom.

    The fruitcake is condemned to be free.

    There is no nature of the fruitcake, which defines the fruitcake, but the fruitcake is, into what it turns itself.

    The fruitcake is fully responsible for its individuality.

     With its actions it draws its own (fruitcaky) face, but it becomes also important for the whole community of fruitcakes.

 

Personally I rather prefer Albert Camus, it makes more sense to me.
:)

"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth."

"The realization that life is absurd cannot be an end, but only a beginning."

 

Quoted for posterity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Madelaine McMasters wrote:


Ardvinna wrote:

Camus is the most underestimated philosopher of the 20th century.

Though he could do some
himself, Richard Feynman might have argued that it's not possible to underestimate philosophers.

;-).

Hmmm . . . a rather odd point to make, in the context of a virtual world, perhaps?

Is that prim steak really there? Or are you going to remain hungry? ;-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Conifer Dada wrote:

 

To eat, or not to eat, that is the question.

I am completely unaware that any fruitcake has ever been consumed except by the ravages of time.....It is rumored that the very first fruitcake is still being re-gifted to this day.

If true, this suggests that, in fact, the creation of additional fruit cakes must follow the laws in effect regarding the conservation of energy and matter. Therefore, if this creation mechanism is left unchecked, all matter in the universe will eventually be transmuted or transmogrified into .........gasps in horror.....a Fruitcake!

I plead to all members of this August Society, Please check my findings.

Fruitcake deniers need not apply!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Madelaine McMasters wrote:


LaskyaClaren wrote:

Is that prim steak really there? Or are you going to remain hungry? ;-)


Was the warmth I hope you felt in my fireplace real? My hope is.

I'm always hungry for something.

Oh Maddy. The warmth I feel when I'm around you doesn't come from your fireplace. :matte-motes-smile:

 

[insert chorus of "Awwwwws!" and smileys here]

Link to comment
Share on other sites


LaskyaClaren wrote:


Madelaine McMasters wrote:


Ardvinna wrote:

Camus is the most underestimated philosopher of the 20th century.

Though he could do some
himself, Richard Feynman might have argued that it's not possible to underestimate philosophers.

;-).

Hmmm . . . a rather odd point to make, in the context of a virtual world, perhaps?

Is that prim steak really there? Or are you going to remain hungry? ;-)

On more than one occasion, the discussion of food stuffs in our Virtual Hallways [and back alleyways] has created the yearning for this Avatar Jockey to consume said stuffs in real life, replete with the pangs of hunger usually associated with such [word-based] imagery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


KarenMichelle Lane wrote:


LaskyaClaren wrote:


Madelaine McMasters wrote:


Ardvinna wrote:

Camus is the most underestimated philosopher of the 20th century.

Though he could do some
himself, Richard Feynman might have argued that it's not possible to underestimate philosophers.

;-).

Hmmm . . . a rather odd point to make, in the context of a virtual world, perhaps?

Is that prim steak really there? Or are you going to remain hungry? ;-)

On more than one occasion, the discussion of food stuffs in our Virtual Hallways [and back alleyways] has created the yearning for this Avatar Jockey to consume said stuffs in real life, replete with the pangs of hunger usually associated with such [word-based] imagery.

Oh yes, absolutely. Threads with food pics drive me . . . well, let's just not go there.

Oddly, though, the "food" I've seen in-world does absolutely nothing for me. Maybe that'll be an extension for Oculus Rift, whenever it finally gets here . . .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You all are probably  unaware that fruitcake Exists for the purpose of soaking up bourbon. A nice dense fruitcake will soak up almost a fifth. Fruitcake enables one to consume the equivalent of a couple of shots..

 

Fruitcake without bourbon is like collards without bacon and vinegar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are bad fruitcakes and there are good fruitcakes.  The bad ones are usually bad because they're far too dry.  The good ones are quite moist and (as Pam has suggested) infused with enough alcohol to make the consumption of them worth while.

My sister loves a good fruitcake... I've seen her enjoy them on more than one occasion, so I know it's not a fluke.  If she tells me they're good, I might even have a piece myself, depending on my mood.

Consequently, when someone calls me a fruitcake, I usually take that as a compliment.

...Dres  (...especially when I'm infused with enough alcohol to make me worth while.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Dresden wrote:

There are bad fruitcakes and there are good fruitcakes.  The bad ones are usually bad because they're far too dry.  The good ones are quite moist and (as Pam has suggested) infused with enough alcohol to make the consumption of them worth while.

My sister loves a good fruitcake... I've seen her enjoy them on more than one occasion, so I know it's not a fluke.  If she tells me they're good, I might even have a piece myself, depending on my mood.

Consequently, when someone calls me a fruitcake, I usually take that as a compliment.

...Dres  (...especially when I'm infused with enough alcohol to make me worth while.)

That sounds poetic:

 

There are bad fruitcakes and there are good fruitcakes.

The bad ones are usually bad because they're far too dry.

The good ones are quite moist and (as Pam has suggested)

infused with enough alcohol to make the consumption of them worth while.

 

My sister loves a good fruitcake... I've seen her enjoy them on more than one occasion,

so I know it's not a fluke. I

f she tells me they're good, I might even have a piece myself,

depending on my mood.

 

Consequently, when someone calls me a fruitcake, I usually take that as a compliment.

 (...especially when I'm infused with enough alcohol to make me worth while.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


 Dresden wrote:

There are bad fruitcakes and there are good fruitcakes.  The bad ones are usually bad because they're far too dry.  The good ones are quite moist and (as Pam has suggested) infused with enough alcohol to make the consumption of them
 
worth while
 tolerable.

My sister loves a good fruitcake... I've seen her enjoy them on more than one occasion, so I know it's not a fluke.  If she tells me they're good, I might even have a piece myself, depending on my mood.

Consequently, when someone calls me a fruitcake, I usually take that as a compliment.

...Dres  (...especially when I'm infused with enough alcohol to make me worth while.)

Fixed that for you.

And living in the Bourbon Capital of the world I must state that I have never seen anyone waste a single drop of Bourbon on a Fruitcake.  

Pappy Van Winkle would roll over in his grave!

I would caution you because in some parts of the State they might use Fruitcakes for target practice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...