Here we go again

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4793 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is still just a symptom of a problem that started long ago.  Just like traffic bots, inwolrd group spammers and now random dorks with an axe to grind.

I am not a premium member.  I am a "freeloader" like much of SL.  And still I would support a no pay no play policy like we had from start.

YMMV

Heck, if LL charged just 2 USD for every time these spammers create accounts just to post, LL would not have to worry about premium accounts.  :smileywink:  

And just cause you're a basic account doesn't mean you're a freeloader!  These spammers are, however.

Tristan Avedon wrote:

I'd be ok if they simply charged Wasted every time he spams the forums. Wait, he has no money, that wouldn't work. 

**bleep**. 

No, no, make it fair, all spammers.  Then the judge can laugh it out of court, if said person decides to *snerk* take it to court.  And it has to be per a post.

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

It would also help to pay L's bills, which are currently paid solely by land owners and premium account holders. services.

Perhaps a large percentage is paid by landowners and premmies,  but LL makes money everytime I or anyone else that is basic buys lindens.   We aren't complete freeloaders :smileyhappy:

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

<snip>

which are currently paid
solely
by land owners and premium account holders.

</snip>

Maybe primarily but not solely.  Everytime I buy Linden dollars on the Exchange I am charged a fee.  A small fee, but still a fee.

While having to pay a nominal fee to start an account may be the best solution to spam and griefers it also has a counter productive effect. It would stifle growth here.

There are many people who, while they can readily afford a couple of bucks, unless they have someone they trust telling them that it is worth it, they are not going to pay the money just to 'try' out Second Life.  Then reason is you learn early on that on the internet if you start spending a dollar here and a dollar there at the end of the month it can really add up on your credit card bill. It doesn't mean that they are cheap.  It just means that they are wise with their money.

On the other hand the sign up fee could result in a higher quality (whatever that may mean...I'm not even sure myself) resident.

Many pros and cons to weigh here.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Many pros and cons to weigh here.

True, true.  And I am sure they have been discussed many times in the last half a dozen years in the conference rooms of Linden Lab.  I am sure I am being struck with a feeling of nostalgia as much as anything.   The world was more open and cooperative before the massive free-alt invasion ... at least it was in hind-sight.

I think that people should be allowed sign up for free but should be limited to using the new 'basic ' viewer LL is bringing out - for maybe 10 days or up to a month. During that time they should have limited access to the forums - perhaps being able to post a set number of questions in the Answers forum. After the 'set time' they would get a notice from LL telling them they had to pay maybe a $5 - $10 fee to continue. If LL could do something like this it would still allow people to visit but limit the damage griefers could cause.

Just an idea - I'm sure it has loads of flaws.

Perrie Juran wrote:

[...] On the other hand the sign up fee could result in a higher quality (whatever that may mean...I'm not even sure myself) resident. [...]

start by comparing avatars you know from 2005, with avatars you know from 2007 (that still have NPIOF)... you may come to some conclusion that would shock you.

Void Singer wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

[...] On the other hand the sign up fee could result in a higher quality (whatever that may mean...I'm not even sure myself) resident. [...]

start by comparing avatars you know from 2005, with avatars you know from 2007 (that still have NPIOF)... you may come to some conclusion that would shock you.

The people I know who are still active from that time frame are all pretty decent people as far as my personal interactions with them go.  So I am not sure what you are getting at.

It was just this random thought that passed through my head as I was posting.  The phrase "higher quality" I know is very subjective and way open to individual interpretation. I think the definition I had in mind was that they would be a positive addition to the community.  People who add to the immersive experience, not detract from it.  But even those phrases are subject to personal interpretation. 

Charging a fee for new accounts would kill new membership. SL takes some getting used to since there is no real "goal" to it. It took me a good 4 or 5 months to actually get hooked on sl. And at that time I did get a premium account so I could buy some land. I have since dropped it though because I decided it wan't worth the money to have a premium account for me. Had I had to pay to join at the beginning I would never had joined.

I think think they are probably doing pretty well as things stand. I mean seriously to buy a sim it costs you upwards of 1000 real U.S dollars and 300 a month to keep it. For fake land that doesn't even really exist. You could buy a car for that. Not a great one, but a new car anyway. If you have decent credit 1200 down and 300 some a month would get you a car or or something really nice in real life. Hell in the right area it could get you some cheap land.

And that doesn't count the money they get for buying lindens and the percentage they take from the market place.

And from what I understand they don't even run that great of servers. They are not running high end expensive servers, instead they run a whole bunch of intel and amd servers like most of us could build. Granted I am not about to build and network 8,000 plus servers though lol.

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

I am not a premium member.  I am a "freeloader" like much of SL.  And still I would support a no pay no play policy like we had from start.

YMMV

I spend way more most months than the price of a premium account, but i don't see any advantage in getting one.   I don't intend to build, have no desire to own land and when i require support i get excellent advice (mostly) from the forums.  Instead i rent a large home and shop excessively.  For this reason i don't class myself as a 'freeloader'.

The real freeloaders in my book are those who manage entirely on free stuff and never spend a penny.  The word 'vultures' springs to mind.

I realise the money we spend inworld isn't going directly to the Lab, but surely it's worth something

squashy Beeswing wrote:

inworld isn't going directly to the Lab, but surely it's worth
something
?  

Those big full sim stores have to get their L$ to pay tier somewhere.

I call myself a freeloader in a tounge-in-cheek way because of they way some people felt about non-premium members long ago.  I guess I should let it go.  But the bottom line is,  it ain't cheap to look this trashy :)

110302_002.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4793 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.