What's a good Viewer to use with XP?

Vandris

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3042 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My computer runs windows XP and since I never had any problems with it I never saw a reason to upgrade it. Firestorm just blocked their 4.7.1 so I guess I can no longer use firestorm. Does anyone know of a viewer that supports XP still?

Catznip might work. In the words of the developers:

"While the current Catznip release will install on any version of XP and 2000, doing so is no longer supported and is in our experience disproportionally crash prone."

So it's one you could try if you have to, but it doesn't exactly come with a hearty recommendation.

Vandris wrote:

thanks for the recommendations, although it's a bit entertaining that Firestorm weeds out an operating system SL is perfectly built to run on... as old as it is.

Firestorm is simply keeping up with the LL viewer, as they long ago said they would.  You can't run an OS that's so old it's no longer supported and expect software being created for newer ones, that are, to work with it indefinitely.  Right now you've got alternatives, but eventually they'll become scarce... once more and more TPV devs decide supporting an unsupported OS simply isn't worth the trouble.

...Dres

Currently, Catznip and Singularity haven't been updated in a while and, per the LL wiki page for 3rd party viewers,  These viewers have not been updated recently enough to be considered fully compatible with current Second Life services. Depending on your usage, they may or may not meet your needs.

The link I posted earlier, http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers towards the bottom there is one called Second Life Obsolete Platforms Viewer. That's probably your bet bet.

Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, meaning no security updates, so you really need to upgrade your OS. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3042 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.