Create Own Server*UPDATE*

shadyever

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm currently looking for a way to create my own server? As I notice, people can make their own themed server/land and add building to it. Also I would like to start selling stuff to earn $L and also make my own server/land for others to join. Can you help me, please?

*UPDATE* 

Okay, but I looked on SL map and everyone got their own place. is their away I can make one?

6 answers to this question

If you set up your own server, you will be establishing an alternate grid that cannot be connected to the main grid in any way.  Linden Lab will not allow any outside servers to have any connection to its system, so if you intend to "sell stuff to earn L$", you will need to do that in SL, not in an alternate grid.

• Like 1

There are servers that provide regions in Second Life and servers that support the forum, marketplace, and other SL related services. All these servers are owned and operated by Linden Lab. As the others have said, it is not possible to connect a server that provides the same services seamlessly.

This is somewhat true in the OpenSim worlds too. You can however build servers that provide land/regions in OpenSim.

That said, it is possible to connect things inside SL and OpenSim to remote privately owned servers. In the Linden Scripting Language (LSL) and OpenSim Scripting Language (OSL) there is a set of HTTP functions that can be used to communicate with external private servers. A good example of this is Excite! genitals, Slink Bodies, and others. They use a HUD to connect to a web site that configures the in-world parts and accessories.

Combat meters are another example of using an in-world HUD and an external server.

Using in-world scripted objects and an external server was once how the marketplace worked. That method/process is still possible. It has fallen out of fashion because of the complications, lag, and frequent failures. Lots of things have to happen and work well for the purcahse and sales processes to work. Lag often breaks the process. The Lab abandoned the approach and built the current Viewer Managed Marketplace to provide a less complex system that is more reliable.

The new Experience Tools and the coming CEF feature now in project viewer status offer new possibilities for connecting to external servers more reliably. Building a more reliable eternal store will be possible, but HOW reliable is a question.

Again, there is no way to run a server that provides land inside the SL Grid. That is an OpenSim only thing.

Connecting a server to SL or OS is possible, but you have to be clear on what it can do and provide. You also need to understand it is not a trivial add. If it is going to handle RL money there are even more complications. Security on the net is never great and a server holding access to money or goods will be attacked. Plus governments get intersted in the money and want their cut and impose their rules.

See: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Category:LSL_HTTP

We may not have understood your question. If you want to open a shop in SL, rent land or contact Linden Lab and lease a region (which is sort of like purchasing hosting for a web site). You can then build a store. It is also possible to find regions where land owners are renting shops. You can find all these land owners in the forum advertisng their properties.

• Like 1

The places (regions) you see in the SL map are all running on servers rented from Linden Lab. Some of those regions are rented directly from LL, some indirectly (through intermediary landlords). Some of those regions are shared with many others (as on mainland) and some are private. In all of those cases, some sort of rent is paid to Linden Lab. That rental fee is called "tier" when the rental is directly from Linden Lab. You can't avoid these rental fees, as they support Linden Lab's operation of the SL server farm and support personnel.

Here's an explanation of mainland fees...

https://secondlife.com/land/pricing.php

And here's an explanation of private region fees...

https://secondlife.com/land/privatepricing.php

Notice that there's an initial setup fee for private regions. Those can be avoided if you obtain an already existing region from another party, rather than commissioning a new region directly from LL.

shadyever wrote:

[ .... ]

Okay, but I looked on SL map and everyone got their own place. is their away I can make one?

AHA!  That's a totally different question.  You're not talking about setting up a different world and you certainly don't need a server.  All you need to do is buy or rent land.

Start reading ....

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Buying-land/ta-p/700043

Then follow your nose through links in that Knowledge Base article.  Then consider taking Lindal Kidd's free class on land management and ownership, offered every Friday evening at 5 SLT in Caledon Oxbridge University, in world.  Use your Search tool to find your way.

• Like 1

REPLY to your EDIT:

You can't make your own server for Second Life, but you can buy your own land.

When you are just starting out, though, I recommend creating your products in a free public sandbox and selling them on the Marketplace.  This costs you nothing.

If you are successful, you can think about renting store space in a mall.

If that works out, you may want to expand to a larger, detached store.

And if you really start making a lot of sales, you might be justified in buying your own private region and building a huge store.  The startup fee to purchase your own region is $1,000 USD, and the monthly land fee is $295 USD, so you can see you really have to have a large income to justify your own region.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.