Sansar and Secondlife

kurtstevenson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

steph Arnott wrote:

You agreed, not me. Sansar will be a pro only creation platform, that is clear. You can twist and turn but it still will be a pro creation only platform. And you can mash that up into an opposition argument, but will still come back to the pro only fact.

ROFL! I have no interest in twisting it or turning it into anything else. I agree that Sansar appears headed for a Pro-only target user. I further agree that with that as their goal, they are not going to succeed to the level they hope.

Are we having some sort of communication issue today steph? I thought my earlier post in this thread made it very clear that I did not disagree with you .. and in fact heartily AGREED with you.

steph Arnott wrote:

Is that relevent to the tread, answer no.

As they say, "He or She that smelled it dealt it......

But getting back on topic, replying to something Darius said,

"You've exactly hit on the reason I predict bad times ahead for Project Sansar. It just makes no sense to me to throw away the decade-plus of experience, loyalty, expertise and benefits of SL. It's like demolishing a house and rebuilding it from scratch just because the living room is too small or the windows aren't facing the right direction."

There may not be a large market for it yet but I can almost hear Miss Yardley drooling over what she would be able to do with something like her Berlin Sim with Sansar.  So in part LL is forard thinking to a market that doesn't quite exist yet but that they feel will develop.  And if it does develop they will have a huge start over everyone else.  It's a calculated risk and they are hedging their bets.

Whew .. "calculated" isn't exactly the term I'd apply, but I get it.

The other theory I heard floated recently is that because it's such a massive adventure, it's a deliciously devious way to ensure many years of solid employment. Much like some government contractors underbid a project then go back time and again for more money due to "price overruns" on things like supplies, labor, unanticipated events.

Whichever it turns into .. success, failure, smoking crater .. I still believe it'll be at least 3-4 years before we see anything near usable from their dev team. But that's just a SWAG.

Instructions for interpreting reply:

1. Place hand in the air approximately 1 foot above and in front of your head
  2. Move your hand rapidly backwards just clearing the top of your head while saying the word "Zooooommmm!"
  3. Stop the movement when your hand is roughly equidistant behind your head as it was in front of it as described in Step 1

Repeat this procedure while standing in front of a full-length mirror and as often as necessary until the full meaning is clear.

Thank you for participating in the "Interactive" portion of today's program(me).

I find it both amusing and a bit frustrating how so many are so vociferously critical of Sansar, based mainly upon the cumulative speculation of what they believe it'll be like.  Perhaps some of those speculations are entirely valid, but even so, I seriously doubt that what LL believes Sansar will be used for will end up being how it's actually used.  They're creating a platform with an idea of how they want it to be used, but it's actually the future users of that platform who will decide how they wish to use it and who will ultimately drive its further development.  Trying to predict its success or failure is, at this point, entirely pointless.

...Dres

Okay .. NOW you've crossed a line that should not be crossed. Pardon me while I get on my soapbox.

If you would take the time to get to know people in SL, you'd find that a surprisingly large number of us have challenges to overcome. Some physical, some emotional, some financial .. but ALL of them are impediments placed in our lives that force us to adapt and overcome. We don't flaunt them, instead we use them as reasons to excel .. to be better than others. We don't shlep our burdens around or use them as Pity Bombs to win arguments or inject some level of unfair emotional vise-grip on others.

Two times today you have used some comment about your physical challenges to score some emotional points in what you perceive to be an argument. The first time I let it slide .. but not this time.

I don't care what level of difficulty you have to compensate for. I only know that when people face challenges they either rise up and fight back .. or t hey fold into a self-absorbing pity party. In my eyes, in my opinion, you've done the latter. And that's too bad.

Attempting to use this as some higher power weapon against those you attacked first? That's just pitiful and sad. So here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna flat tune you out. You've proven (to me at least) that you not only don't care enough about yourself to try and exceed the limits placed on you, but you don't care enough about others to NOT use such emotionally charged and unfair arguments in a simple forum debate.

As far as I'm concerned .. we're done. And I am certainly done even bothering to read your words.

(soapbox off)

"If you would take the time to get to know people in SL, you'd find that a surprisingly large number of us have challenges to overcome. Some physical, some emotional, some financial"

and i run several charities for that reason, not that anyone bothered to even ask. 10% of my companies profits go towards such project, whether in USA or UK or Africa. I have personally paid 790 indivduals thru schools and university, paid for 12 schools for autistic children and adults and that is just the tip of the ice berg. So do not ever make assumptions about me.

Go about your day and be blessed.

Darrius Gothly wrote:

A new product like Project Sansar, targeted at and for the "Experienced Creator", will take them many more years than just one or two before it's ready for release. They are aiming for a platform with all the complexity of 3D Graphics Engines plus the high-end development tools like Blender or Maya .. and the programming expertise of a C# guru. Each of those further narrows the pool of interested customers.

Then pile on top the fact that LL's customers for Sansar won't be there for their own fun but to make a profit? Those customers will also have to be dedicated sellers capable and willing to create their own online company, do the advertising and marketing needed to attract buyers, and run the entire enterprise on a shoestring.

Yeah ... I know one person in this world that MIGHT fit that narrow requirement. MIGHT. But last we talked, she had zero interest in doing anything requiring that much effort and upfront investment ... just for the income potential anticipated.

I never said their plan was smart , or that I agree with it ;)

steph Arnott wrote:

Never once said C# was usless., where have i said that?

"Also, I am fairly certain that MOST folks in SL, are actually interested in the rest of the world, lmao. You know, since we all kind of live in it " sorry to inform you most camt to SL for fun and leave RL out.

My apologies, you did not say it was useless, that was simply what I have garnered from your replies.

However you did feel the need to speak for the majority with the following:

"I niether have the time or the inclination to learn C# when i am never going to use it else where and nither are 90% of agents going to."

So, I have to wonder then what exactly you mean by this? I realize what it means for you, yourself, that you have no desire to learn a progamming language. I can completely understand that. But why do you think it applies to 90% of the rest of the folks in sl? How do you really know that they won't use a programming language that *can be applied elsewhere...elsewhere. It makes sense to say that no one in sl(or nearly no one) would use LSL elsewhere, since it can't be. But it makes no sense to say that they wouldn't use some other programming language elsewhere-simply becaause the possibility exists, which increases probability.

steph Arnott wrote:

"If you would take the time to get to know people in SL, you'd find that a surprisingly large number of us have challenges to overcome. Some physical, some emotional, some financial"

and i run several charities for that reason, not that anyone bothered to even ask. 10% of my companies profits go towards such project, whether in USA or UK or Africa. I have personally paid 790 indivduals thru schools and university, paid for 12 schools for autistic children and adults and that is just the tip of the ice berg. So do not ever make assumptions about me.

Go about your day and be blessed.

If anyone actually believes you, personally, have paid all of this(of your own accord, your own money, your own...everything), let them know I have an amazing bridge in Idaho with ocean views on all sides, for sale...cheap.

If I used my limitations as much as some do in their posts, like it is some kind of crutch or excuse for being a jerk to people, I'd be one lonely, cranky, bitter old hermit that just enjoys to argue with people online because everyone else would avoid me in rl due to the previously mentioned behavioral problems. I may type like crap some days and my limitations may be extremely obvious to everyone around me...but they *never* stop me, and I *never* use them as a crutch to garner sympathy, or as an excuse for arguing just to see my own words(seemingly) or to simply be a jerk because it tickles my pickle(again, seemingly). 

And here I thought this thread was interesting, for all the right reasons, even the replies i may not agree with on all points. Sigh.

Just means i can not be bothered and i doubt most in SL would either. A large amount of people are not interested in LSL, C# or anything other than "shoes" as Madaline pointed out.Sansar will most likley attract the younger more eager and those that are competent with C. Its a new platform and will either or not attreact new blood. SL will go to silicon heaven and the world will roll on.

steph Arnott wrote:

What do you give and how do you help others?
As for
my illness it is none of your bissness
, why would you even ask such a thing? Dres you either have issues or are a just a windup merchant. What ever enjoy your day. I truely am glad you are not in my life.

I'm not the one that brought it up.

...Dres

ETA: How I help others is not something I'd bring up in order to make myself look better or excuse my abhorrent behavior.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.