Sign in to follow this  

Stuck on Initializing VFS

Question

I have two different computers this is happening to. When Second Life is loading the process gets stuck on the Initializing VFS step. This has been going on since 10pm SLT. One computer freezes there one crashes. The one that crashes tries to send an error report but says it can't connect to the server. I have internet, I can connect to this page. Is there a server down in California or something?

• Like 1

i'm having the same problem. I am not able to get back into secondlife. But, I was loggin all night. Decided to relog in this morning. and now I can't get back in. Oh, and I also, uninstalled viewer 2.5 and reinstalled.

You need to clear your cache manually.

(XP) - C: - Documents and Settings - (USER NAME) - AppData - SecondLife
(Vista) - C: - Users - (USER NAME) - AppData - Local - SecondLife
(Win 7) - C: - Users - (USER NAME) - AppData - Roaming - SecondLife

Delete the contents of the folder and restart.

NOTE: You may need to go to Windows Tools > Folder Options > View & enable Show Hidden Files/Folders, in order to see AppData folder.

• Like 4

Maybe you could try manualy clearing cache,

Move the folder C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife to your desktop, Restart your PC and try loading SL again

The reason I sugest move and not delete is so you have a copy of any logs if you like to keep them , the folder will recreate itself when you start your viewer up again

• Like 4

But how did this happen on two different computers at the same time? That is weird, don't you think? I have to go to work now so if I don't get other suggestions I will have to try this when I get home. Thanks.

Addendum to Storm's post:  If you have any chat logs that you wish to keep, move them from the Second Life folder before you delete that folder.  Good luck!

• Like 2

Do you have an alt you can test with?....It would rule out whether or not it was a problem with your main account or with your connection....I assume both computers are on the same connection / router.

If the same thing happens to your alt, check your connection & restart your router (leaving it switched off for a least a minute)

Have you already tried deleting the contents of the SL folder in my previous post? Because that is the tried and tested usual fix for this error.

I had thought about that, I am wondering if the computers might be similar in the sense that they run the same Operating sys and protection softwares?

It may be possible that a recent update has caused the error.

Did clearing the cache help or is the problem continuing?

• Like 1

One is Window Vista the other is Windows 7. Both run Norton Protection Software though. I had to go to work so I have not had the chance to clear the cache yet. I'll do that first thing when I get off work. Thanks

I believe it's your anti-virus program. That often interferes with SL. You may have to disabled the AV program temporarily  in order to log on to SL.

Hmmm, I hope that clearing cache will fix it.

It is defiantly strange that the problem is on 2 pcs but I have seen stranger things happen, so It could just be coincidental.

Fingers crossed for you :-)

Thanks Storm. The link was very detailed and helped a lot. The only thing I changed was I renamed the folders I did not delete them. But everything is working now. Thanks. :)

• Like 1

I have the exact same problem.

I have been using the previous version yesterday, got the popup message saying the new version is downoladed and will install at next startup of SL, then I logged out the usual way.

Today I've started up SL, and getting stucked at "Initializing VFS"

I tried clearing the chace, uninstalling SL, manually removing every single file even remotely connected to SL, rebooted my PC, reinstalled SL and it still gets stucked at the same point.

I have tried Phoeinx viewer, it starts up without a problem, it connects to SL also without a problem, so the issue is related only to the viewer 2 series (yes I've tried reinstalling the previous version of viewer 2 series too, same effect)

Any more hints on the matter?

D: Is there any other way? I have the same problem but when I try to open either of the documents it says C:\ Documents and Setting is not accessable. Access is denied.

Can anyone help?