display names

MasterJedi Nayar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

12 answers to this question

Most scripted objects that you are likely to bump into were created before anyone had even thought of Display names, so they don't know how to recognize one.  Also, many of those devices are scripted to recognize when the same visitor returns a second time.  That way it doesn't send another annoying greeting or count you twice in its visitor counter. To do that, it needs to look for your real (i.e., Login) name or your UUID because it can't count on a Display name staying the same from one week to the next.  Including a Display name as well may use more memory than many greeters can handle.  For those and many other reasons, that scripting job is just tricky enough that I suspect it will be a while before many greeters are written to do it right.  It will actually be a while before most people see your Display name, after all. :smileywink:

• Like 3

The problem is that most scripted objects will rely on the command "llKey2Name(avatarUUID)".. and it was only recently that LSL developers were given the option to use the "llGetDisplayName(avatarUUID)" command.

As such, as Rolig said, most objects you'll find in SL will be doing things "the old way". It'll take quite a while before scripters start embracing llGetDisplayName, especially since for the first couple of weeks after Display Names were released, that function was pretty unreliable.

But it is indeed possible for a script to get, and use your Display name... it's just not very common yet.

I sent a support ticket in when I had this problem, when I searched for my display name it wouldn't show my avatar, even under people search.

Unfortunately my support ticket didn't generate a written solution, so I don't know how it was fixed, but now I can be found in search under my display name and my display name does appear on my prims, even my prims created before Display names were introduced.

If I search for Chari Skale Carter O'Neill under people search you do show up.

adendum to that:

the newer functions to look up display names

A) take up to 24hrs longer than the viewer to display

B) don't consistently work for the the fast version

C) the version that works consistently requires an asynchronous lookup, forcing a pause at best, or lots more code and processing and placeholder variables at worst (and can still fail)

[D] all of the above

Oh, the list could go on and on. Actually, the biggest reason why it will be a long time before most greeter scripts recognize Display names is simply economics. Most people who use those scripts aren't scripters. They paid someone to create the greeters for them, and they aren't about to pay some else to do it all over again just to accommodate Display Names. Even if they are using freebie greeters, it's a pain to have to replace all of them. Inertia rules in all things.

good point... and I think most of the regular scripters are looking at it and going "meh can't trust it, why use it..."... ok maybe that's just me, but I do think that programming it to jump through the asynchonous hoops then add in a fallback is just a little much effort to say "hi xyz" when the person getting the message knows they are "abc" account name.... I guess I'm just agreeing an exmplifying that the user aren't the only lazy ones =X lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.