Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AlexandriteGem

What is allowed in an "M" vs. "A" land?

Recommended Posts

Just curious. A scene where two avatars are naked and engaged in sex animations on a bed in public, in an "M " land is allowed or does that correspond to an "A " category land?

 

Please clarify. Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you.

 

Then, from what I understood, rezing a bed with sex animations in an "M" land and engaging in sexual activity for public viewing is in violation of TOS.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on the details. If you're planning a business like that, you'd be well-advised to put it on Adult-rated land, to avoid getting hassled.

On the other hand, if the "public viewing" is indoors, it's allowed, and there are fairly liberal interpretations of "indoors", so if it's not a business, it may not be a big problem.

For that matter, there are even sex-bed-selling businesses on M land, behind closed doors, but A land no longer carries quite such a business-killing search penalty as it did when it was first introduced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, the incident goes like this: In an open cave right ini front of a landing spot, a woman rezed a bed with sex animations and went at it with another woman in a land rated "M ". Both naked havinssex.

I found it in bad taste to be so exposed in a site not categorized as "A ". 

 

Is that a violation of TOS? I that a reportable offense? From the link  I read, I interpreted that it is a violation. I just wanted confirmation to report that behavior. And who do the consequences fall on, the owner of the land or the woman?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


AlexandriteGem wrote:

Actually, the incident goes like this: In an open cave right ini front of a landing spot, a woman rezed a bed with sex animations and went at it with another woman in a land rated "M ". Both naked havinssex.

I found it in bad taste to be so exposed in a site not categorized as "A ". 

 

Is that a violation of TOS? I that a reportable offense? From the link  I read, I interpreted that it is a violation. I just wanted confirmation to report that behavior. And who do the consequences fall on, the owner of the land or the woman?

 

Thanks

Yes, that is ARable under "Indecency> inappropriate content or  conduct for Region rating" as the bed was rezzed for sex use and not for sale. Selling adult themed items is permissible on M land, using them in public is not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not so sure. The hitch is how "out in the open" something has to be for it to be a violation. If you were genuinely offended, go ahead and file an abuse report and the Lindens can sort it out, but I rather doubt they'll take action.

The main reason I'm dubious is that the event is said to have taken place  "in an open cave" -- and we all know there is no such thing as a "cave" in SL terrain, so it was necessarily a built structure (built to look like a cave, evidently). So, some poor schmuck on the Governance team will have to go look at this "cave", make a judgment call about how "open" it really is, then somehow assess how far back into the cave the event happened based on... what? maybe there's a history of avatar location stored for each region?

I dunno. If I were on Governance and this report came to me, it would go straight to the bit-bucket while I go hunt sim-crashing griefers and age-players instead. Luckily, they don't entrust such responsibilities to the likes of me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Qie Niangao wrote:

I'm not so sure. The hitch is how "out in the open" something has to be for it to be a violation. If you were genuinely offended, go ahead and file an abuse report and the Lindens can sort it out, but I rather doubt they'll take action.

The main reason I'm dubious is that the event is said to have taken place  "in an open cave" -- and we all know there is no such thing as a "cave" in SL terrain, so it was necessarily a built structure (built to look like a cave, evidently). So, some poor schmuck on the Governance team will have to go look at this "cave", make a judgment call about how "open" it really is, then somehow assess how far back into the cave the event happened based on... what? maybe there's a history of avatar location stored for each region?

I dunno. If I were on Governance and this report came to me, it would go straight to the bit-bucket while I go hunt sim-crashing griefers and age-players instead. Luckily, they don't entrust such responsibilities to the likes of me.

"out in the open" is not part of the maturity standard. Public is.The activity took place in front of the landing point in a public sim. That is a clear violation of the maturity ratings.

"Dance clubs that feature "burlesque" acts can also generally reside in Moderate regions as long as they don't promote sexual conduct, for instance through pose balls (whether in "backrooms" or more visible spaces)."

Even in backrooms it is forbidden on M land. No public sex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, you could see the sexual activity from a distance. The cave is more like a shelter, with the entrance completely opened.

You did not have to enter it to see what was going on.

 

Yes I was offended mostly because there are no signs on the land allowing such behavior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:


Qie Niangao wrote:

I'm not so sure. The hitch is how "out in the open" something has to be for it to be a violation. If you were genuinely offended, go ahead and file an abuse report and the Lindens can sort it out, but I rather doubt they'll take action.

The main reason I'm dubious is that the event is said to have taken place  "in an open cave" -- and we all know there is no such thing as a "cave" in SL terrain, so it was necessarily a built structure (built to look like a cave, evidently). So, some poor schmuck on the Governance team will have to go look at this "cave", make a judgment call about how "open" it really is, then somehow assess how far back into the cave the event happened based on... what? maybe there's a history of avatar location stored for each region?

I dunno. If I were on Governance and this report came to me, it would go straight to the bit-bucket while I go hunt sim-crashing griefers and age-players instead. Luckily, they don't entrust such responsibilities to the likes of me.

"out in the open" is not part of the maturity standard. Public is.The activity took place in front of the landing point in a public sim. That is a clear violation of the maturity ratings.

"Dance clubs that feature "burlesque" acts can also generally reside in Moderate regions as long as they don't promote sexual conduct, for instance through pose balls (whether in "
backrooms
" or more visible spaces)."

Even in backrooms it is forbidden on M land. No public sex.

The history of Linden statements on this subject is long and tortuous, so which bit of it anybody on Governance chooses to apply today is up for grabs, but the specific terms you're citing refer very specifically to dance clubs because that was a particularly big question at the time: just how risque could these places be and still remain on Mature-rated land?

And while "out in the open" may not be part of the Adult content policy, its opposite, "behind closed doors," very much is, including the option to "[e]nclose the area behind walls or other visual barriers." Does this "open" cave "enclose" the area sufficiently? Who knows? This part of the policy was intended to let landowners comply despite the abiliity to cam into a structure (and it remained part of the policy even after the parcel privacy setting was introduced), so there's no requirement that all possible views be fully blocked by the enclosure. 

Hence, without judging the extreme particulars of the setting, we simply can't determine if this incident really qualifies as "public sex" in the sense of the policy.

To add further confusion, much depends on the nature of the parcel. In the case of a dance club and other businesses, the policy makes a very big point of whether it's listed in Search. Now, the parcel in question seems to have a landing point, so it might be listed in Search and hence "public" in that sense. If it's not, a higher threshold would apply to any sex on the parcel being "public."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


AbejitaLINDA wrote:

Also, you could see the sexual activity from a distance. The cave is more like a shelter, with the entrance completely opened.

You did not have to enter it to see what was going on.

 

Yes I was offended mostly because there are no signs on the land allowing such behavior.

Oh. I gather you're another person offended by the event? or an alt? Well, doesn't matter: if the cave is open enough, it's probably a problem, but again much depends on what sort of parcel it is. If it's a business listed in Search, then the landowners could be in trouble if they are responsible for encouraging Adult content or activity on their parcel. If it's not a business, then most likely the responsibility would be that of the individuals who were engaging in the activity. An abuse report would be more likely to have effect if filed against the correct party.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever I am is irrelevant to the questionand th4e issue.

 

The land is a public land. There's game tables, a couple pools, seats and places to hang out. It is not a business and it sells nothing. AGAIN, right in front of the landing point ther is an open cave or grotto. You can see anyone in it. Inside that place, in an M rated land, a female member of the group rezzed a sex bed and went at it wearing lesbian toys, with another woman. There was NO bed previously there. They exposed everyone who arrived to sex animations for close to two hours. There is no warning on the land, no signage and I was wondering if  indeed this behavior is reportable.

I did go ahead and reported it, and got this answer:  

 

Thank you for taking the time to submit a Second Life abuse report. If the reported incident violates Second Life's Community Standards or Terms of Service, we will take appropriate action.

What happens next?
If any further information is required, Linden Lab will contact you regarding this incident.

Will Linden Lab follow up with you after the investigation is closed?
Linden Lab examines each abuse incident independently and will not disclose the resolution of abuse/community standards violations with Second Life Residents, except when necessary to introduce a new or amended policy. Linden Lab will not disclose incident details including (but not limited to): identity of the reporter, details of chat logs, resolution of incidents, and/or suspensions/banning of Second Life Residents.

We hope that this will be the last of any unpleasant encounters for you inworld. If you continue to experience problems with a Resident, please file a new inworld abuse report for each new incident and we will investigate each report independently.

To file an abuse report while inworld, select Help > Report Abuse...

For more information on abuse reports, please take a look at our "Guide to Filing an Abuse Report" article or our "Report Abuse" video in the Second Life Knowledge Base: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Guide_to_Filing_an_Abuse_Report.

Best regards,


Linden Lab
945 Battery Street
San Francisco, CA 94111
www.secondlife.com
 
And I do hope this is the last we see of this behavior in a public land rated  "M "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...