Issues seeing some particles, like fire(with on/off options), change options and other area events

Ruthalia Yifu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4795 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Recently I discovered a problem... and I'm not sure if its due to a setting I have chosen, or just my viewer (the most recent 2.0).

The Events I'm Missing:

1. My friends and family tell me that, on their computers they can see the fireplace in my home burning, and turning on and off. But I cannot.
  2. Another person said that he could see sparkle particles comming from my lantern... which I cannot. 
  3. To test and try and isolate what was happening, I put on a heart emitter (just emits tiny hearts from my chest).... these hearts everyone else could see, but not myself. 
  4. Additionally, my partner told me he could see fairies, butterflies etc. in certain locations - items which, like everything esle, I could not see. 

I tried uninstaling and reinstaling to see if it may reset anything I may have accidentally changed, but it did not help. 

Is there anything I can do to change this? Any setting I may need to take a look at?

Thank you for any assistance! 

7 answers to this question

1) Ok, first you need to understand that particles are displayed locally.  That means each person's computer is showing them the particles, and as such, each person may see something different. (which reduces lag and server load)

2)  You may have particles "turned off", and if so you will not see them. 

3)You can turn particles "off" or "on" this way:

"Particles are often used for environmental enhancements like fire and smoke as well as laser light shows. If you want to turn them off in Second Life Viewer 2, the solution is: Press
Ctrl+Alt+d a new tab will appear, Advanced > Rendering types > High Lighting and Visibility > Hide Particles

In viewers that still function like Second Life viewer 1 the path is: View > Beacons > Hide Particles."

• Like 1

Me Menu > Preferences > Graphics

Check the 'advanced' box if this page just shows a slider with 'low' to 'ultra'.  Then you can see all the individual controls.

Below the slider and to the right is the 'Particles' count slider.  Adjust this to 2,000 - 4,000

Click 'Apply' and 'OK' at the bottom of the page

(ETA: 3 different answers all around the same time - try Rollig's first because it's easy, then mine.  Celestiall's is the ultimate)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4795 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.