so sl needs a graphics card so powerful no 1 ha sinvented it yet ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hi folk sory to waste ur time but i was wondering  so if u set secondlife to ultra it will distroy the graphics card no matter how powerful an expensive it is ?

how come when u leave shadowsn on in ultra it kills the graphics card ?

also even if u are using a geforce card if set to ultra the fps is only 10 at best ?

ok so if u set it to ultra what can u disable that aint nessesary to make the avatars and sex  look good n high quality ?

hi folk sory to waste ur time but i was wondering  so if u set secondlife to ultra it will distroy the graphics card no matter how powerful an expensive it is ?

how come when u leave shadowsn on in ultra it kills the graphics card ?

also even if u are using a geforce card if set to ultra the fps is only 10 at best ?

ok so if u set it to ultra what can u disable that aint nessesary to make the avatars and sex  look good n high quality ?

Quinn Lysette wrote:

Not at all. I use an unmodified fairly inexpensive off-the-shelf home computer and I can use ultra high graphics. A bit more lag than I prefer but not any serious problems. It does depend on where you are though. Sims who are built with no regard to lag can cause problems for anyody.

Usually the two big drains on graphic card power in SL are draw distance and RenderVolLODFactor. If you set those too high you'll probably have problems even at high - and maybe even medium - overall graphics setting.

I would suggest not using words such as “destroy” or “kill” for your question, Quinn; I can disregard them as mere hyperbole, but others may be inclined to... well, answer in fashion.

I will tell you that my graphics card, not a top of the line model for over a year now, runs most SL scenarios well above such framerates; of course very loaded sims will bring it down, which is why I have “tuned” both my viewer and nVidia panel's settings. And I could also tell you my settings for both, such as having set a Draw Distance of 160 m., using overall Ultra-like settings but disabling ALM (projected shadows), disabling local & attached lights (facelights), setting particles to zero, using a no-shadows Windlight and, in nVidia’s panel, only a moderate amount of anti-aliasing, but what good would any of that be to you? Every person has his tastes & preferences when it comes to what settings sacrifice for performance, so what I’m going to recommend is that you go to your viewer’s preferences, graphics section, and start fiddling with each individual setting to your taste (in matters of quality vs. speed) while staying at an average-loaded sim, then experiment a little too with your graphic’s card advanced settings for the game (you may need to relog after a few changes for them to apply since, usually, they’re only in effect the next time the executable is run).

Quinn Lysette wrote:

ya hey when u set particles to zero ur secondlife **bleep** doesnt ejaculate or pee
:(

So set yours at a modest value, rather than zero, and perhaps lower other settings of things you don’t care about, just as I don’t about gloriously peeing and/or ejaculating in full technicolor. Or, even better, if you have a viewer with that kind of flexibility, quickly modify some values depending on the situation; some such as Firestorm or Black Dragon offer quick preferences panels. In fact, I heard that something like this is being considered as a standard LL viewer feature, so you might as well start experimenting with it.

Ren Toxx wrote:

I will tell you that my graphics card, not a top of the line model for over a year now, runs most SL scenarios well above such framerates; of course very loaded sims will bring it down, which is why I have “tuned” both my viewer and nVidia panel's settings. And I could also tell you my settings for both, such as having set a Draw Distance of 160 m., using overall Ultra-like settings but disabling ALM (projected shadows), disabling local & attached lights (facelights), setting particles to zero, using a no-shadows Windlight and, in nVidia’s panel, only a moderate amount of anti-aliasing, but what good would any of that be to you? Every person has his tastes & preferences when it comes to what settings sacrifice for performance, so what I’m going to recommend is that you go to your viewer’s preferences, graphics section, and start fiddling with each individual setting to 
your
taste (in matters of quality vs. speed) while staying at an average-loaded sim, then experiment a little too with your graphic’s card advanced settings for the game (you may need to relog after a few changes for them to apply since, usually, they’re only in effect the next time the executable is run).

Thank you for outlining some of your settings, Ren! I've been tweaking my Firestorm settings as well as some settings in my nVidia panel, and I appreciate knowing some of the nuances and specifics that have worked for other members. I hadn't thought to disable local and attached lights, so I'll defintely give that a try. Had already set particles to zero since I don't really see that they enhance SL much, and I tend to go back and forth on Advanced Lighting Model. Personally speaking, it seems to provide a smoother camming experience when it's disabled, and while it can be nice for photos, otherwise I don't miss it much.

Probably the best single thing you can do is pull your draw distance down to 100 or lower.  The less the GPU has to draw, the easier it finds things.

I have an Nvidia GTX 660,  which a pretty decent card but by no means top of the range, and I have no difficulty running either Firestorm or the Official Viewer on slightly adjusted Ultra settings other than in really crowed clubs.

Assuming you have an Nvidia card, you might also try tweaking the settings on your Nvidia Control Panel (right click the Windows desktop).     The subject has been discussed here before -- for example, in this thread:  https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/Ideal-Nvidea-Graphics-Settings-for-SecondLife/td-p/2094467

For what it's worth, these are my settings (the ones in bold are the one that I've altered).    They are what work for me, but you might need to change them depending on what sort of machine you have.   Just play round with them till you get the results you want.

settings 1.PNG

settings 2.PNG

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.