Cloaking device?

JessiSweeney

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This may come across as a strange question, my apologies.

Last evening, an individual comes into a sim I was at, was invisible in the viewer, and causing general discomfort among those who were in the sim. I could see this persons location on my radar, but zooming in, they were not there.

Is there a device that can render an avi invisible (including tags)?

I have no plans (short or long term) to purchase one, just curious.

I would think there is some TOS violation included. I mentioned they were causing discomfort (making defamatory remarks in IM's) to the others present at the time.

Yes, I AR'ed and muted.

Hiding your avatars body is easy, just make a full body transparent alpha layer. 

You can't make a name tag invisible, but you can hide where it is.  To find some one doing so it try looking under ground or under the floor.  Griefers frequently like to hide things under ground because few people look there.  To be able to see under ground, you need to disable camera restraints from the advance menu (ctrl + alt +d) 

I was about to make myself a little clearer with Karens response, but you nailed it. The name tag was hidden too. My earlier reference to a "tag" was a little off. But hiding it underground sounds reasonable.

"full body transparent alpha layer",..an interesting concept, to say the least.

Being invisible in and of itself is not a TOS violation.  There is a product on the marketplace that supposedly does this .  However you can still see them on radar and the mini map, so if they cause a problem you can still deal with them.

As far as harassment, it is against the TOS when it rises above a certain level, but LL will likely do nothing about your AR because making a derogatory remarks is more of a resident to resident dispute and LL will not involve themselves in that.  You have the tools to deal with it, mainly block, eject, ban.

JessiSweeney wrote:

I was about to make myself a little clearer with Karens response, but you nailed it. The name tag was hidden too. My earlier reference to a "tag" was a little off. But hiding it underground sounds reasonable.

"full body transparent alpha layer",..an interesting concept, to say the least.

Noting usually about full body alpha layers, commonly used for mesh avatars, tiny, or any other type of avatar that need to hide the base avatar. 

There is a glitch that shows up from time to time where a person is invisible. I've seen their speech in chat, see them standing 2 meters from me per my radar but nothing in site.

However, I do seem to recall seeing a device in the MP that can hide your tag so they may have been using that. Like all the other "just for enjoyment and not for griefing" devices, it's primary purpose is for griefing....shrugs.

There supposedly is a device that, perhaps in addition to other tricks (alphas, invisiprims and maybe animations), uses some sort of teleport bug to make sure that not even the tag is visible; I did ask, out of curiosity as you do, but I guess the product’s creator would rather not get into details, to protect his design.

The funny thing about those things, at least when used for griefing, is that the more they hide the avatar, the less they hide the cowardice of the person controlling it. But I guess griefers are beyond grasping that particular concept.

Don't rush to accuse all such you-no-see-me types as being griefers. For a lot of them, it's a fun thing, to wander around invisible. I see them as being in the same class of resident as the bloodlines biters, the people who wear exaggerated animal outfits, or the gigants, it's another form of play-acting. As long as they don't *cause* annoyance then they aren't griefing. If they start pushing people around, or blasting sound gestures then that's different.

I think an invisible avatar leaving behind a trail of dark footprints slowly fading in their wake would be cool, although too much of it would get irritating.

"You have the tools to deal with it, mainly block, eject, ban."

Done, done and done did. :)

One poster here mentioned the invisibleness just shows more cowardace on the part of the griefer. I couldn't agree more. I even called him on it and he replies he was he on behalf of the Lindens:

"I'm here on a mission from governence linden...that's why you can't see me".

That just showed how chickens**t that griefers are and can be.

Thanks all for the great answers.

JessiSweeney wrote:

"You have the tools to deal with it, mainly block, eject, ban."

Done, done and done did.
:)

One poster here mentioned the invisibleness just shows more cowardace on the part of the griefer. I couldn't agree more. I even called him on it and he replies he was he on behalf of the Lindens:

"I'm here on a mission from governence linden...that's why you can't see me".

That just showed how chickens**t that griefers are and can be.

Thanks all for the great answers.

If a griefer is actually hiding because they are afraid of getting banned, then it's not likely a skilled griefer.   On the other hand a skilled griefer with an army of alts waiting to replace any banned, block, eject, muted, accounts,  might hide to sustain an attack for as long as possible before having to do so.  If any thing a skilled griefer is likely to be fearlessly aggressive, but there is certainly a long list of nasty things you can't say here to call them.

One of the suggested uses of the transparent alph layer (+ movelock) is to hide from a push attack.  How much fun is it for a griefer to push some one they can't see or move, plus it might give you more time to locate them to file an AR.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.