Pixelated second life

Sasja Fitzgerald

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4866 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi,

Since I renewed my windows plus drivers etc, I have a pixelated border around avatars, the whole world looks weird to be honest.

Anyone ever had this problem and better yet knows how to get it better.

I had the same problem when i bought this computer, but then a mentor helped me and it was fixed, that was 2 years ago so i forgot what I have to do.

I had to do something in advanced or preference, I just forgot what.

I'm on imprudence, but i have checked with all the viewers, and all have the same problem.

My system thingy is this :

CPU: Intel Pentium III/Pentium III Xeon (0.25 micron process) with external L2 cache (3005 MHz)
Memory: 3328 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce 8800 GTS 512/PCI/SSE2
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 6.14.0011.6921
OpenGL Version: 2.1.2

6 answers to this question

Sometimes updating Graphics Card Drivers you can hit on a version that works worse with SL than the old ones, you can always roll-back the drivers to the ones that were working ok, so thats not a big problem if thats the case here.

Can you post a pic of what you are seeing so that it easier to tell what is going on?

If you fixed it before from advanced menu it sounds like you may have selected or deselected something in one of the sub-menus, but they mostly go back to default when you relog. Check through the sub-menus to see if you have a X on something that shouldn`t be there.

I think you might want to check your settings for "fIltering" and "antialiasing" in preferences, graphics, hardware... these both influence edges and "depth" and might actually not have been properly migrated to your new driver. experiment with them and see if it makes a difference.

Those jagged edges can be corrected by turning Antialiasing on.  You will find the setting in Preference - Graphics and then click on the Hardware button.  The higher the setting, the less jagged the edges will be.

Edited to add:  Looks like Nya already pointed this one out in her reply.  Have you tried adjusting those settings yet?

--Cinn

• Like 1

The pixelated borders sounds like 'jaggies' meaning the anti-alaising (AA) has failed or is off. For the last 3 or 4 months there has been a problem with AA in the Linden Lab's viewers. In general it hasn't been working whether turned on or not. Depending on your viewer version it may not be fixable.

The 8800 GTS is still a pretty good card. Along with it comes the nVidia Control Panel where you can set various graphics settings.

You can see how my 8800 renders with AA turned off in this image: http://s744.photobucket.com/albums/xx90/Nalates/Blog%20Stuff/?action=view&current=Kirsten42_002a.jpg - I was using Kirsten's viewer when I took the image. The resolution was 1920x1080 and was reduced to 800x?px before I uploaded it. Still you can see the jaggies on the elephant (in preview grid for mesh). Your screen should be producing something close.

If the image is worse and you have replaced drivers, you may have turned your screen resolution down. Right click in any empty area of your wall paper and select Personalize. Then select Display Settings. Set the resolution to your display's 'natural' setting. That should get you seeing something close to the image of my screen.

The nVidia Control Panel can be used to set your card up on a game by game basis. For more on that see: Graphics Tweaking for Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4866 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.