Stargates

Monti Messmer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I came across working Alteran Stargates again a couple of weeks ago on one of the very well run Grid Runs that Drivers of SL do. They worked very well in that context of a story you follow as you travel around.

The thing with ASN is they predate and always seemed more popular than Novatech or NLS options. The land impact on them is alot especially on a small parcel, but for larger parcels not so hard to accommodate.

The thread is a reminder to me to do some more investigating when I get some free time, I have a port area with 4000 spare prims where I could easily spare the prims to locate one.

5 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

I came across working Alteran Stargates again a couple of weeks ago on one of the very well run Grid Runs that Drivers of SL do. They worked very well in that context of a story you follow as you travel around.

The thing with ASN is they predate and always seemed more popular than Novatech or NLS options. The land impact on them is alot especially on a small parcel, but for larger parcels not so hard to accommodate.

The thread is a reminder to me to do some more investigating when I get some free time, I have a port area with 4000 spare prims where I could easily spare the prims to locate one.

Can you drive through one?

An add for ASN? and add for an open source free network? It is the original. It is free, not a paid for system like novatech and other knock offs the extracted the original codes to start with. We use both. Yet Novatech has currently  far less users as it is not a free system. 

PS there is also a low prim new version recreated (since once again open source) mesh gate (currently only milkyway version) 

There is also a re-emergence of Stargate roleplay with new sims dedicated to it.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/25/2023 at 8:41 PM, Rowan Amore said:

Fanatik has one that's mesh and would actually look great in the Fantasy linden home areas...

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/FANATIK-Zodiac-Portal-grid-wide-experience-teleporter-mesh-with-materials/21792113

Talking about ads LMAO.  950 versus free.  IF you checked the updates you realize there is aa 3-5 prim option in the free pack.  There is also a redesigned Milkway gate that is mesh with rotating center chevrons that is 14 prim abotu to be released free for ASN users. Need to be updated on things before posting. 

ASN is not a paid for system, so the "ads" aspect doesn't fit it as it is open source. If you used some common since you would say "Is this an ad for novatech"

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The ASN system is not open source. It's just free.

If it was open source a pretty stargate wouldn't be 130 prims (as in actual prims) and 41 scripts.

It would be a tight 12 li mesh and 4 scripts.

That is incorrect. the scripts used in it as well as the PHP files and SQL database files were released in opensource when the original network closed. As a matter of fact github users have access to them, included PHP and SQL files. . The current version was a re-release of the original after the original makers closed it down releasing source. ASN is actually based on an even older version of it. 

the prim count has nothing to do with opensource , and check further on the released gates in the pack, as well as the GDK version that people have to put together themselves, but can not resale per opensource agreement, on marketplace.  Some have 1 prim gates. Some have higher. The original has more aspects do to the SGC slows dial feature to replicate the show and lock the chevrons, it is not required to function, in fact a person can link 2 prims to work as a base textures frame and vortex effect. the higher prim gate is the Milkway gate. The next the modified Pegasus. Then the other gates are simple low prim versions.  or you put one together yourself. I myself use the original modifed the scripts , created the php site, and own database from the core for private use, but that won't lead to higher users. 

Edited by Kavarek
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Kavarek said:

That is incorrect. the scripts used in it as well as the PHP files and SQL database files were released in opensource when the original network closed. As a matter of fact github users have access to them, included PHP and SQL files. . The current version was a re-release of the original after the original makers closed it down releasing source. ASN is actually based on an even older version of it. 

Where is the source ?

What is the source?  Exactly do you mean? DO you know how to search and find projects? 

Do some research, learn about open projects, learn about project membership, extraction, usage, and those who contribute to the projects. How to extract from github, and implement it. How to post contributions source code corrections and such. While the original , an ASN is not a big project  that people put much attention into , it is there. 

You seem to like to stir things up. I posted to correct MISINFORMATION. that was achieved. 

Edited by Kavarek
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Kavarek said:

What is the source?  Exactly do you mean? DO you know how to search and find projects? 

Do some research, learn about open projects, learn about project membership, extraction, usage, and those who contribute to the projects. How to extract from github, and implement it. How to post contributions source code corrections and such. While the original , an ASN is not a big project  that people put much attention into , it is there. 

You seem to like to stir things up. I posted to correct MISINFORMATION. that was achieved. 

I am very familiar with open source projects have contributed to a few, publish some bits of my own .. and the whole making an open source SL viewer thing (yes, there is code I wrote in your SL viewer)

All of the links on https://www.alpha-fox.com/asn/history are long dead or abandoned.

So I ask again, if this is open source - as you claim - where is the source ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Kavarek said:

TO RETURN TO THE PURPOSE OF THE POST TO CORRECT MISINFORMATION AND DRAMA ABOVE

ASN does still works at this time. (as of 2-28-2023)

ALTERNA GATE NETWORK:

GET YOUR GATE IN SECONDLIFE: 

REQUEST A GATE FROM WEBSITE:

ADD ON EXPERIENCE FOR ASN GATES AUTO TP: (third party based on opensource mod- Skeleton Key experience used on land)

REGISTER GATE AND RENAME IT - SET Aliases as well.

DIALING THE GATE: 

/d GATE NAME

or

/d random    to dial a random gate in network.

SLOWER ANIMATED DIALING  Star Gate Command in show

/sgc GATE NAME or random

Common popular locations. SGC / Atlantis / Midway / Egypt / Goa'uld   (some new locations others are making for stargate RP i will update when they are ready) 

Other gates: using SC, Other gates are being created, if the re-emergence of startgate RP continues. You can also create your own that will work with network, using lower prims or more modern mesh in an efficient way. Goal is to keep them with the current ASN database, but if need be a new database can be easily created later. 

ADD-ONS: there are many add-ons still made including the SGC computer system, and other interfaces. BE sure to update to latest versions. 

NOVATECH GATES:

Novatech ones are a bit different, are grid wide or can be set to  your private network between places. It is a Pegasus gate, even though you can retexture it to be a milkway (ask me for texture) (Modify).

Not as animated as the ASN gates in slow dial mode for animated  show version.  I use Novatech for Bellisseria side of Bellisseria Roleplay to take members to our private land for farming, mining, gcs combat at the pyramid, and Club Anubis.  They are lower prim and can be set as a private network between sims or grid wide. (EXPERIENCE BASED)

I hope this helps when searching for information.

Please be informed, this post seems to be duplicate information from the above post(s).

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You'd think larger portals are in demand to carry tanks, weapons, and provisions across. 

We might be talking at cross purposes, but portals for region wide travel can be resized. They are just scripts one for the portals and one for the vehicles. I mostly use mine for changing the altitude of my space ship to go from ground level to space station level. I have also seen similar used on roads on motorbike regions, but they would work just as well for cars and tanks.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Hard on the eyes, in Dark Mode!

I hope they open-source the stargates, that'd be cool. I'd go with Novatech though. Lower LI and I'm familiar with the company. 

I think it's time for a do over to be honest. New meshes, new code.

Shame the SG franchise has languished and while it might get another reboot, it's never going to be the sprawling thing it used to be. SGU wasn't enough to inspire people, there is no way 2 seasons then canned on <streaming service> will now.

Even with the uptick in ST content, it being paywalled means it can't ever have the reach that TNG had, so we wont see cultural echos in SL from it.

• Thanks 1

CORRECTIONS TO LINKS:

ALTERAN GATE NETWORK: ASN (CORRECTION TO BROKEN LINKS)

GET YOUR FREE GATE IN SECONDLIFE:   http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Eternal Calm/128/145/3105

REQUEST A GATE FROM WEBSITE:   https://www.alpha-fox.com/asn/get/

ADD ON EXPERIENCE FOR ASN GATES AUTO TP: (third party based on opensource mod- Skeleton Key experience used on land)  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/DbyC-ASN-Gate-SL-Experience-Auto-Teleporter/17488069

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Kavarek
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 431 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.