GoonSquad griefing a Big Problem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi im new to sl. I was trying to build at a sandbox and was attacked by several objects spewing dialog spam all over my screen. I left and went to the mainland and was attacked by the same objects. This type of griefing is becoming a big problem with new players playing the game. I have restarted my viewer and my computer but when I log in I continue to get spammed and thrown all around the sim.

At one point the griefer took control of my avatar when I tried to sit on one of the boxes they rezzed. I would include a picture but the boxes had very graphic images on them. Is anyone else having this problem. If so how do I get ried of the griefer spam and objects?

jacquezlaveau wrote:

Hi im new to sl. I was trying to build at a sandbox and was attacked by several objects spewing dialog spam all over my screen. I left and went to the mainland and was attacked by the same objects. This type of griefing is becoming a big problem with new players playing the game. I have restarted my viewer and my computer but when I log in I continue to get spammed and thrown all around the sim.

At one point the griefer took control of my avatar when I tried to sit on one of the boxes they rezzed. I would include a picture but the boxes had very graphic images on them. Is anyone else having this problem. If so how do I get ried of the griefer spam and objects?

You said you 'left' and went to 'mainland' which i am going to assume means you teleported.

There is only one way an object like this could follow you the way you describe and that is if you accepted (or took) and wore one of the greifing objects.

Or if you were using an illegal viewer.

Also, I see this account you are posting with was born today?  So you are for some reason hiding the account you really use. Else you would have no way of being able to state "this is becoming a big problem, etc." 

Interesting.  :)

When you encounter griefers in a sandbox, teleporting away usually works. Don't engage with them directly. Talking to them does no good & will probably just get their attention. Abuse Report them with the Help tab on your viewer.

If they're in your home sim, Abuse Report them, include a picture of the spam objects, then mute/block the objects & their owners. If the objects are on land you control, return them & reset your land so non-land group members can not rez objects or bring in scripts. (You can change these settings later after the griefers have stayed away for a while.)  If the objects have multiple owners, chances are they have similar names. Search on the similar portion of their name, such as the word Goon or Bro, and preemptively ban all avatars with such names, especially if they're new accounts.

If this is a major problem in your region & neighboring regions, find out the names of your neighbors from looking at who owns the neighboring land, contact them to politely let them know about the griefing & suggest they AR the perpetrators as well. The more people AR these folks, the faster they'll be IP banned by Linden Lab. Unfortunately this is the only long-term solutions to persistent griefing, since it's so easy to create new accounts.

After a few days of ARing & banning, griefers usually move on to some other region. They're basically the trolls of the SL, so they have limited attention spans when their egos are not fed by people acting upset with them. It's sad really, that with so many cool & engaging things they could do in SL, the best they can think of is to annoy other people, like a child having a temper tantrum in a store.

Here is an older thread on the same problem:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/I-think-i-need-help-I-have-been-greefed-or-spammed/m-p/1942381#M100000

Perrie Juran wrote:

jacquezlaveau wrote:

You said you 'left' and went to 'mainland' which i am going to assume means you teleported.

There is only one way an object like this could follow you the way you describe and that is if you accepted (or took) and wore one of the greifing objects.

Also, I see this account you are posting with was born today?  So you are for some reason hiding the account you really use. Else you would have no way of being able to state "this is becoming a big problem, etc." 

Interesting. 
:)

I am impressed by your detective work Perrie.

Perrie Juran wrote:

jacquezlaveau wrote:

Interesting. 

Yep. Just the use of the term 'Goon Squad' from someone 'new to sl'  is a tell. I think you were right in suggesting you might call bull *bleep* (or whatever that is you call) on this one.

They don't even have to have seen them elsewhere. The last griefing objects I ran into were a pile of 20m cubes with a texture reading "Goon Squad" emitting bouncing particles of the same texture. Even knowing nothing else, I'd assume someone calling themselves "Goon Squad" was involved.

See, that's where I missed the mark. My only experience with this kind of environment is here in Second Life. I'd never run across that particular combination of names related to greifing until I got here. Far as that goes, I never even saw the term 'greifing' untill I got here.

So thanks, and you too, Talon. I'll be less prone to say, "How did you know to call them that?!!!" in the future. My skepticism regarding this particular OP remains at an elevated level but at this point I can only chalk that up to 'feel'.

One of these days I'm going to outgrow the blind spot I seem to have regarding the word 'grief' and start spelling it correctly. I mean, it's a pretty simple rule, even if there are a few exceptions. "i before e except after c, or when used as 'A' as in neighbor and weigh". I manage to get it right most of the time but for some reason I almost always screw up on 'grief'.

I *think* I've heard of Goon Squad elsewhere, but only in articles related to SL, so I'm in a similar position to yours. I don't play any (other*) MMORPGs and I don't think I'd heard 'griefing' prior to SL

As to the legitimacy of the OP... it does feel a bit odd to me that a day one resident would make a post like that. And the objects I saw were clearly different to theirs; there were no obscene images on mine, just the logo.

Perrie Juran wrote:

jacquezlaveau wrote:

Interesting. 

If you are not going to provide help please keep your subpar detective skills to yourself. I created a new account because the account I had was not useable like I stated in my post " I have restarted my viewer and my computer but when I log in I continue to get spammed and thrown all around the sim." So this was the only way I could get rid of the problem. My other account was only 3 days old I and I only had a couple of freebies. So what is your point? A new person should wait until they have an old account to come here and ask for help? 

Anyway for anyone else having this problem I found if you uninstall the viewer and re install it the problem is solved.

Throw in the JLU and Green Lanterns with the Goons and you have an ongoing epic comic book story in SL.

I always read griefing OP's carefully because sometimes there really are people who need help with problems.

Some of the purported Goon Squad stuff I've seen has been quite obscene.

But I really don't know if there is much more to be said here.

Really, what more can we say?

for your other account..use the new one and find a quiet sim or sandbox that the scripts are turned off on. Then go to the original avi and on the opening page you should have an option to specify where you want to rez in,,,,home, last location and then where you can type in the name of the sim. Type it in and then rez in...Whatever is throwing you around should now be disabled since scripts won't be runing. Now go to your library and wear...not add...wear one of the classic avis you'll find there, like boy next door, etc. This will knock off anything and everything else attached to your avatar. At this point go to a place scripts are enabled and add back your skin, shape, etc...when you start to change your clothes...be careful and add back one at a time so you don't add whatever it was that started the problem in the first place. If you do add something and start bouncing around...repeat and take it off and delete it...you'll know what it was then.

Last nite i was attacked by the goon squad. It has gone beyond griefin to a cyber attack. When i saw the blocks flooding my parcel i clicked on one to report it. A blue window appeared theat kept reproducing like a em ail bomb. This finally crashed my pc. It also crashed my modem. After i crecovered my modem i ran a scan with malwarebytes and removed an unknown threat.

I sincerly hope sl is on top of this. This is beyond griefing and in my opinion is criminal.error.pnggoon squad.PNG

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.