Unpleasant return to Second Life.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3598 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dixy Dreamscape wrote:

I am sorry that you have had an unpleasent return to SL.

My two cents worth are for one thing fix your profile.

Your profile ssays everything about you and no offense but right now yours is saying im an alt.

You don't have a profile pic. There is nothing about you in your profile but web addresses, not one link in your Picks, the only thing that doesnt say alt is the fact that you have a payment info on file.  If you want to have friends you need to put something in your profile.

Your profile is the first thing someone will check out. If you had a profile like this and spoke to me I would think you were a griever, I don't know if you have dealt with grievers but it isn't a pleasant experience

I am not sure where you have been all these years that you just came back. I made my account in 2008 and I always look at the profile before I talk to someone.

If you want people to talk to you and take you seriously then put a pic in your profile and write something
or steal it from someone elses profile
then hop around and find some places to put in your Picks.

Then on 1st life photo write something cute to show you have a sense of humor.

I'm going to assume you were joking, but still, just in case . . .

No. Just. No.

Dixy Dreamscape wrote:

If you want people to talk to you and take you seriously then put a pic in your profile and write something

No. Just. No.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't see the harm. It's no different then sharing funny quotes/Pics on Facebook. I think using the word "stealing" was unfortunate but I think she/he means writing something witty or amusing, like a quote seen in someones profile. 

I have seen quotes in peoples profiles and copied them in the past. 

Is quoting something you read elsewhere stealing? 

Wow thanks for the detailed reply. And thanks for putting it in perspective. I agree with you.

I would think people sharing an intimate moment would turn on the privacy land settings instead of leaving it open for all to see, but I guess that's easy to forget? Also I use my camera most of the time in SL. I will see if people are having sex or not. I was mainly talking about people I met that weren't doing anything except maybe moving some furniture around.

Thanks for the recommendations. I might give them a look over on a rainy day.

Shroom Steinbeck wrote:

Wow thanks for the detailed reply. And thanks for putting it in perspective. I agree with you.

I would think people sharing an intimate moment would turn on the privacy land settings instead of leaving it open for all to see, but I guess that's easy to forget?
Also I use my camera most of the time in SL. I will see if people are having sex or not.
I was mainly talking about people I met that weren't doing anything except maybe moving some furniture around.

Thanks for the recommendations. I might give them a look over on a rainy day.

People don't have to turn on privacy settings to keep people like you off their parcel. As you stated in my bolding of your quote, if you use a camera to cam others that much I feel your intentions of "community" are nothing more then barreling into other residents SL. You have the free for all but everyone else pays mindset. Land cost a lot, people enjoy privacy, you have the chance to visit many regions that are for the public. Just damn nosey it seems and p.s. you can't see people having sex when privacy is turned on. You see objects and where the avatars are located in the parcel. No actual pixels for you to perv though.

Even if people are just moving furniture around, they may not want to be bothered by anyone and stop what they are doing on their own land just to entertain you.

LillyBeth Filth wrote:

Dixy Dreamscape wrote:

No. Just. No.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't see the harm. It's no different then sharing funny quotes/Pics on Facebook. I think using the word "stealing" was unfortunate but I think she/he means writing something witty or amusing, like a quote seen in someones profile. 

What you're suggesting is entirely different than what Dixy suggested.  Dixy suggested stealing (read plagerizing) what someone else has written in their profile, not copying a quote from someone else's profile. 

How would you feel if I copy/pasted all or significant portions of your profile to my own?  A friend of mine, who's a pretty well known SL artist, had that very thing happen to her and I assure you she wasn't very pleased about it, to say the least.  Imitation may be a form of flattery, but trying to pass off someone else's words as your own is crossing the line.

...Dres

You're missing the point. It's not that I don't understand that people like privacy, It's the batty hostility. I'm not harming anyone. I'm not kicking over their sandcastle. I'm not stealing their lindens. I'm not wrecking their life. I'm just appearing on their computer monitor. 

LillyBeth Filth wrote:

Dixy Dreamscape wrote:

No. Just. No.

To build upon what Dres has said about this . . . a profile isn't just a bit of text, or a blog post or Facebook update. It's a statement about who one is, a way of defining oneself. Sometimes that's very obvious, as when one talks directly about oneself, or one's likes and dislikes. But often, it's an indirect statement that, while not obviously descriptive, is still intended to convey something about one: that one is witty, or passionate, or dangerous, or in love, or whatever.

The profile description is probably not as important as one's avatar's appearance in helping to establish a sense of identity and self, but it's still often a vital component. To "steal" someone's profile write-up isn't just unethical; it's also inauthentic -- it's like pretending to be someone else.

If I discovered that someone I knew had stolen someone else's profile description, it would, ironically, tell me pretty much everything about that person I'd need to know.

LaskyaClaren wrote:

To build upon what Dres has said about this . . . a profile isn't just a bit of text, or a blog post or Facebook update. It's a statement about who one is, a way of defining oneself.

And what if one wants to define oneself as an amoral, plagiarising anti-establishment activist?

And how do you stand on using appropriately referenced quotations? Academically sound,  but unoriginal?

And remember, stealing from one source is plagiarism; stealing from many is research.

Father "Who was the most famous plagiarist ever? Martin Luther King!" Jim

madjim wrote:

LaskyaClaren wrote:

To build upon what Dres has said about this . . . a profile isn't just a bit of text, or a blog post or Facebook update. It's a statement about who one is, a way of defining oneself.

And what if one wants to define oneself as an amoral, plagiarising anti-establishment activist?

And how do you stand on using appropriately referenced quotations? Academically sound,  but unoriginal?

And remember, stealing from one source is plagiarism; stealing from many is research.

Father "Who was the most famous plagiarist ever? Martin Luther King!" Jim

Thank you for that contribution, Mr. Mizner.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3598 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.