Jessica Lyon's Avatar Height suggestion?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In the 3rd party user group meeting yesterday, Jessica mentioned the avatar height problem and the jira related to fixing it.

Here is the Jira:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SUN-38?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel

I can't comment on the jira, so I will say what I have to say about it here.

This issue is not just about avatar height. When every animation is created, it is created on a very specfic avatar size. Sometimes, it's on the male or female default, which Qavimator, and SLat have. Same goes for Poser and DazStudio. In Blender, the animation can be created onto any size SL avatar. All of the bone shapes are changed when you use a totally different avatar size, not just the pelvis height. So, imagine I make a praying animation, on a male default avatar size, with hands perfectly together. In SL, that animation will only be perfect on that male default avatar size. If you put that animation on a female avatar, the hands will not be together praying. So, if LL wants to really fix this issue, they need to implement an adjuster that adjusts all the bones in the animation to the size of the avatar. Then, not only would the height be correct, but also the arms and legs.

Just my thoughts on it.

This sadly appeared to be one again one of those last minute things that came up (like the absence of a Chat Bar in CHUI) because to much work was being done by people who don't have Second Lives.

I'll be shocked if the Avatar Offset gets fixed correctly.

They were too deep into the development on SSA and my suspicion is it would have broke a lot of the work they had done / would have delayed deployment much longer than they wanted too.

/just my two cents

Perrie Juran wrote:

This sadly appeared to be one again one of those last minute things that came up (like the absence of a Chat Bar in CHUI) because to much work was being done by people who don't have Second Lives.

They were too deep into the development on SSA and my suspicion is it would have broke a lot of the work they had done / would have delayed deployment much longer than they wanted too.

/just my two cents

Well, to be fair, just look at how they want to fix this. Do they not have Second lives? I would think that if they did, they would notice that animations aren't just imperfect on the z axis of the pelvis. I would not think they need an animator to point it out, although it is a constant question that I have to ask myself, "what size avatar is this animation likely to be played by?". This is why LL's best friend in a jira is the creators, but it's not a welcome place for us.

Medhue Simoni wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

/just my two cents

Well, to be fair, just look at how they want to fix this. Do they not have Second lives? I would think that if they did, they would notice that animations aren't just imperfect on the z axis of the pelvis. I would not think they need an animator to point it out, although it is a constant question that I have to ask myself, "what size avatar is this animation likely to be played by?". This is why LL's best friend in a jira is the creators, but it's not a welcome place for us.

To be fair also I have to say that I am not technically proficient enough to be able to speak authoritatively on this.  Though I think the logic behind my conclusion has some merit to it.

I did get my hand slapped in the CHUI JIRAs for commenting about the Devs needing a Second Life.  ;)

Maybe this jira could help fix problems with some vehicles on mesh roads where they are caused by the bounding boxes of the poses? The problems often arise after shrinking the bike down to scale. If the bounding box isn't scaling then that is likely to be the problem.

I'm not sure Aethelwine. I do make fullperm car animations, and did have to redo the positioning frame for a couple of creators, but I just did what they asked me and it all worked out. I was not involved in figuring out why. I've done a few of my own vehicles, but nothing yet that puts the character that low to the ground. From the limited times I have seen the issue, there is definitely some kind of physics things going on, but I can't say if it's the avatar or what.

Yeah, there is a problem for physical vehicles such that the agent bounding box collides with the road if the sit target is low enough for the avatar to look normal for many animations. This can be solved with an animation that offsets the avatar some distance below the agent, so it can appear to be much nearer the ground than the agent's physical bounding box actually is. Of course then there's a risk of not being able to cross under low bridges that appear to have plenty of clearance, among other problems with passenger physics.

I do not, however, understand what's being proposed in this thread. Probably I'm over-interpreting what's only supposed to be an example, but the praying animation can only work properly for a small range of arm and torso shapes -- basically, those for which the animation's angles of rotation on joints from shoulder to wrist "match" the relevant bone dimensions. All that geometry would scale linearly, but that scaling doesn't make the praying anim work for any larger subset of shape geometries. Right? So... I'm clearly confused as to the objective here.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.