Is it worth while to spend all those L$?

xIITaylorIIx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3642 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am just wondering why I spend so much money on getting my avatar to look "good". No matter where I go, I just don't see the point anymore in spending L$ on beautiful skins when I look like crap in most rooms I enter. Either people are wearing face lights that light up the world rather than only their face or the settings are so bad, I might as well not have skin at all.

Am I missing something? Is there a "thing" I can buy that can prevent this from happening? If not, I'm afraid I won't be "prettying-up" my avatar anymore.

Depending on the viewer you use there are settings to make facelights not be shown on your screen and to set the lighting to what you desire. THIS page will help with lighting.. If you have the developers tab available on the top bar, under rendering there is a spot to turn off attached lights.

rendering.png

Uncheck the Render attached lights spot.

To put the most pessimistic spin on it...

You have no control of how others see your avatar. No matter how good it looks in your viewer, the person next to you could be using a netbook or ten year-old box with minimum graphics and a viewer with no mesh and materials support. Your carefully crafted av will look like a lego figure wearing a bunch of doughnuts.

That doesn't mean there's no point in spending L$. You can make your av look as good (or bad) as you like, but mostly you are doing it for your own benefit.

To improve the way everything looked to me, I changed my windlight setting. I stumbled upon a place that had great region settings and saved them in my viewer. This way everywhere I went, the lighting looked good to me. There is no need for facelights if you do this. In addition, my graphic settings are low and doing this makes it look like I have them set to high.

Mainly because a good windlight setting will eliminate harsh shadows on your avatar.

It will illuminate your avatar/skin & enviornment so that everything looks amazing. So, if you invest in a good skin, the right lighting (windlight) will show your skin and shape at its best.

Once you find regions settings that you like (the viewer is set to region settings) go to:

World>Enviornment Editor>sky presets>new preset>(name it and save)

Then Enviornment editor >Enviornment settings>customize tab (fixed)> from drop down window find the name you picked, choose, and OK

The above instructions is for SL viewer,  however you can do this in FS but I'm not sure if the steps are the same.

Its all about what you see of your self. What others see is never going to be what you see, unless they have a super computer, and then they need to be paying attention to you, inspecting you. Like the add on feet and hands, I know they are used because I see the gray feet and hands when they arrive or when I arrive. But after that I can't tell you what avatar has the add on feet and what ones don't. Get a good pair of shoes and 99% of SL will never know the difference. And FGS don't go spending hundreds of lindens on them, its just not necessary, no one can tell (some maybe, but very very few). Spend your money if you like, it is fun and that is what SL is about, fun.

Shared Experience is a Myth.

SL is my entertainment. I'm disabled so don't go out a lot. Think of SL as an adult Barbie. When I was little, I'd spend hours dressing and undressing my doll. In RL I can't wear the clothes I wear inworld and no way could I wear the stiletto boots. SL is your fantasy, so look like you want to look. It's a lot cheaper to look like wish you could look in RL in SL.

Just my 2L worth.

Actually, I have a lot of things deactivated or set low, ranging from almost no particles to the attached lightsources, despite my hardware being absolutely sufficient to use them. I ran into the problem that a lot of clothes, especially shiny stuff, never is as shiny as shiny attachments. With all non-global lights deactivated, this problem vanished, too.

=)

SL _IS_ for hedonistic self-enjoyment as far as I am concerned.
And that's good so, for just imagine when we all would be "that good looking" in the real world...
Life would be painfully boring in a saccharine sweet environment where everybody looks so good that nobody looks good.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3642 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.