disclosure of im's

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3693 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone,

Was just wondering exactly how serious and offence it is to copy and paste another persons im's to pass onto someone else.  Its been done to me and as a result has spoilt my enjoyment of sl

It's a violation of the TOS (terms of service), and you can send and Abuse Report if you want to.  However be aware, this was presumably someone you trusted who did this, and therefore is not a trustworthy person.  Also, there is nothing to stop people sharing IM logs outside SL.  There are a lot of third party forums where you can be quoted, named and shamed, outed and there is nothing that LL can or will do.  Also, it's not likely that an Abuse Report would have much effect.  

Choose your friends/aquaintances more carefully and move on.

If the IM was shared outside of SL then there is no grounds for an Abuse report as the SL TOS only cover the SL clients, forums and any other part directly run by LL.

If someone took your IM conversation and sent it per e-mail, or posted it on another website, than that is not covered by the TOS.

Then please do file that AR with the evidence you have and please do not infuse the AR with any personal feelings or suggestions as to how that person should be punished, it'd be counter productive at best.

My guess is that they will look at the severity of what was shared (like personal info) and respond accordingly.

But dont get your hopes up too high. Perma bans are usually only for the most severe offenses.

And LL will not disclose the outcome of their investigation to you.

Sometimes the best action is to just move on with your life.

Yeah, this is against the TOS if it's done inside of SL. File an AR if you have actual proof. On the other hand, I've rarely seen this happen where the IM's copied and passed along were of a positive nature. You'd better be very certain that nothing in the IMs that were passed along would in themselves be TOS violations.

Given the almost impossibility of actually proving this one, I dont' see why LL even keeps it as a TOS violation. Just figure that if you're talking smack about somebody in IM's, the person you're talking smack about will eventually get to see the whole thing.

branigon wrote:

It was done in the sl enviroment not sent by email or to another forum.  I would hope this person is thrown out of sl for this but maybe im expecting too much.

If the IM was shared within Second Life, Linden Lab would, if they act at all on your abuse report this time, give the offender a warning or a one-day suspension.  In the olden days, when you could actually view the Incident Report resulting from abuse reports, people disclosing information about another avatar would get warnings, or one day suspensions. Repeat offenders would get longer suspensions, and eventually could find their account terminated.

The official Incident Report page only gives a 404 error message, but another resident used to collate all the information, so this is a record of the most recent available results from abuse reports - scroll down to see one of disclosure - a one day suspension was given :( 

http://gridsurvey.com/blotter.php

But it has not been in use for quite a while now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3693 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.