Friends not online

Sorcha Tyles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

I have troubles with the online status of a friend inworld. Sometimes he just shows offline when he is actually online, we had this problem ongoing for 2 days now. Also when I look at the Secondlife.com at my friends, he is not mentioned there. This is getting seriously obnoxious.......does anyone else have these problems and now what to do about it?

Thanks!!!

Sorcha

12 answers to this question

He may have deliberately turned off your ability to see whether he's on line or not.

Or it could be an SL glitch.  There have been any number of issues with the grid the last couple of weeks.  Especially, the "Friends On Line" display on the SL webpage has long been known to have problems from time to time.

Hmmm sounds like either your friend has 'unticked' you, or it is one of those 'SL' glitches, however I don't think that would happen too often. When you say you look on your list and he isn't there, do you mean he isn't there at all, even showing offline? I have had many wierd thing happen to my friends list, so I close it and go shopping!

Sorcha.Tyles wrote:

Hello,

I have troubles with the online status of a friend inworld. Sometimes he just shows offline when he is actually online, we had this problem ongoing for 2 days now. Also when I look at the Secondlife.com at my friends, he is not mentioned there. This is getting seriously obnoxious.......does anyone else have these problems and now what to do about it?

Thanks!!!

Sorchaconfused.gif

Actually I know what the issue is.  I saw this the other day too and was told by another person how it worked.

First off the person your referring too has clicked their online status in game for you.  They have made it so you cannot see when they are online.  In other words they are hiding.

When someone is hiding from you and they have the box un checked that allows you to see them when online then they show offline.  In addition, when they have it so you can't see when they are online, and they ARE online, they will not show on your friends list on the website.

This will explain why they are not on your Secondlife.com friends list, and why you aren't seeing them online in world.

A lot of people do this so they can have privacy, build, or they just don't want to talk to someone in general.  Its probably nothing to take personally or be upset about.

You can also test this with another friend if you'd like.  Have both of you online, then have your friend un check the "show friends when they're online" box from their friends list.  Then you should see them as offline in game.  Then go to the secondlife.com website and look at your friends list and you will not see there name there.

Just another note about online status.  People can choose to hide their online status to the general public by choosing Only my friends and groups can see when I'm online. in Preferences.  Then they can choose on a friend by friend basis who can see them online and who cannot using the selection in the Contacts tab under Communicate.  But they cannot block the group from seeing if they are online.  So if you share a common group with a friend and you think they are hiding their online status from you, check the Group Info to see if they are actually online. That's the sneaky way to check.

The less sneaky way to check is to send them an IM.  If they are offline, you will get a  "Second Life: User not online - message will be stored and delivered later." message.

-Cinn

An answer that hasn't been given yet but that ties in with the 'he's unchecked me in his friend's list' is...well it's embarrassing probably to be caught showing offline when you are online, to friends. If this is indeed the case (and it's not just a glitch) how about just respecting his need for privacy for the moment? It's hard to want to do some things in SL when you have a large Flist and get a lot of IMs. Sometimes we're feeling down or just want time alone...just as in real life, these things happen.

One way to save the embarrasment of being caught online when you are showing offline to friends because you do need that down time from IM's and chatter to build, play a game, clean inventory etc. is to set yourself to busy.  Friends won't think you are being a creep if you are busy mode. A laughable message such as "You have reached my IM box, please wipe your feet and then stand on one foot reciting "I'm Enry the the Eighth I am I am, I'm Enry the eighth I am I am...until I return, yours truly...Terminally addicted to Zyngo!

I just posted a question referencing this issue. I find it hard to believe that all 31 of my friends have suddenly 'unchecked' the box that will allow me to see if they are online.

My issue seems to be more of a system glitch - only when one of my friends logs in are they showing in my list in bold. I went to a friend's club this afternoon and she was there, yet grayed out on my friends list. I asked her if she had changed anything and she said no. I may (reluctantly) log into V2 to see if the same problem exists there.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.