Harassment and told I was hacked

maritzababyxo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey there,

I have a few questions tonight I was randomly messaged by someone telling me that I was going to be found in real life and raped, killed, etc. He was saying that he was getting my IP address and finding me and he was going to have people come find me and hurt me. I honestly have never had that happen to me and he said want me to prove it, so something did happen and my computer glitched and my Second Life ended up closing (I guess that ended up happening to the whole Sim) so I logged back in and he messaged me again saying that I needed to be his slave or else I was going to lose my avatar. I reported him and deactivated my credit card from Second Life and changed my password. I guess what I'm wondering if it was possible if someone could hack my account without my password and or get my credit card information here on Second Life? Because the things he had to say were really harsh and very rude. 

So any advice would he helpful.

Thank you for reading... <3 

maritzababyxo wrote:

Hey there,

I have a few questions tonight I was randomly messaged by someone telling me that I was going to be found in real life and raped, killed, etc. He was saying that he was getting my IP address and finding me and he was going to have people come find me and hurt me. I honestly have never had that happen to me and he said want me to prove it, so something did happen and my computer glitched and my Second Life ended up closing (I guess that ended up happening to the whole Sim) so I logged back in and he messaged me again saying that I needed to be his slave or else I was going to lose my avatar. I reported him and deactivated my credit card from Second Life and changed my password. I guess what I'm wondering if it was possible if someone could hack my account without my password and or get my credit card information here on Second Life? Because the things he had to say were really harsh and very rude. 

So any advice would he helpful.

Thank you for reading... <3 

You did right to AR them and to change your password.

No, they can't get your credit card info off of SL.

And I know you may not like this but you will need to remove their name.

Even though what they did sux, naming and shaming is not allowed in the Forum so your post is at risk of being removed.

maritzababyxo wrote:

OH dang, I didn't know that wasn't allowed my bad!

I removed it! Thank you for letting me know!
:)

Your welcome.

I wanted to add it sounds like he used a SIM crasher if everyone got logged out.

I hope everyone who got hit by it AR's him for it.

Quite frankly, while what he said sounds disturbing it is most likely just empty threats.

However, because he threatenned you Real Life it might be possible for you to file a police report.  Though it is unlikely they would be able to do anything.

Perrie, you will also need to edit the quote of the OP's message because while you advised them to remove the offenders name, you've quoted it :)

To the OP:-

It's unlikely that any of the stated actions will happen however, do a thorough check of your PC for malware, spyware, keyloggers etc.  One suggestion for such a tool would be https://www.malwarebytes.org/free/

It is quite feasible that you could have been tricked at some point, not necessarily related to the viewer crash event, into visiting a website with malicious content that might have installed a keylogger or other malware.  There are other ways to exfiltrate credentials from a PC.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Even though what they did sux, naming and shaming is not allowed in the Forum so your post is at risk of being removed.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to bring this up but this is the kind of thing that drives me up the wall. I don't mean to rant, but why is it that the idiots/morons/a**holes who harrass (and often post repeatedly in the forums) have this protection from the TOS when the rest of us have to suffer? I've been on many a thread where one of these people post a comment, then get accused of something and quickly hide behind the skirts of the TOS saying "Oh, you can't say that! I'm going to report you to LL."

Maybe if more of these people were shamed into the open, less of this crap would happen.

Edited to hopefully make more gramatical sense..although I don't think it worked

:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Tex Monday wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to bring this up but this is the kind of thing that drives me up the wall. I don't mean to rant, but why is it that the idiots/morons/a**holes who harrass (and often post repeatedly in the forums) have this protection from the TOS when the rest of us have to suffer? I've been on many a thread where one of these people post a comment, then get accused of something and quickly hide behind the skirts of the TOS saying "Oh, you can't say that! I'm going to report you to LL."

Maybe if more of these people were shamed into the open, less of this crap would happen.

Edited to hopefully make more gramatical sense..although I don't think it worked

:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

I think I know what you are trying to say.

We should be able to name the GRIEFERS & THIEVES & HARRASERS.

And that they should have no protection under the law (ToS).

The thing is I have a choice here, to accept at face value the OP's claim or not.  Based on what I know I have concluded that the OP's claim is plausible.  But I still have only her word for it.

But we have seen other similar claims of harrassment where something in th estory did not click and when we went digging there was much more to the story than the OP originally stated.

So that is the problem.  Innocent until proven Guilty and in the Court of this Forum it's going to be a subjective judgement call just like the one I made.

Now InWorld, I do think that we should have the right to share chat logs with a SIM owner or possibly their appointed agent so they can manage their SIM.  But those logs should go no further. 

But even then there is the problem of edited Chat Logs.

I had it happen to me. Someone posted an edited version of a private conversation to their Blog.  They really tried to make it sound like I was saying something that I wasn't.  And I got messaged about it.  That was how I found out what they'd done.

So as much as I wish we could name and shame here, and I really wish we could, at the very best it would just turn this Forum into a giant free for all.

eta:there/their/they're

Thank you everyone for your advice and help it allowed me to know I'm safe in RL & SL! I understand all of your point of views and everyone is free to say what they want. At the time I was just in shock and scared because someone random sent me that, I was literally shopping and they just kept messaging me. I know how people try to hack people and get their information they can pretend to be an admin or what not and I've had someone do that to me before, not here on Second Life though. But this guy was very harash and aggressive saying really scary things that any woman wouldn't want to hear especially when they are threatening to come to your house and rape, hurt you, etc. I've never met the guy, talked or anything. So it was pretty scary at the time for me especially since my Second Life crashed after he told me he would prove he could hack me. But I'm glad to know I'm alright, I'm all about peace & love. :) 

<3

maritzababyxo wrote:

No where in the rules does it actually say that - but people over-read the policy against harrassing others on the forums and presume it does. LLs has acted inconsistently in the past...

This is one case where I recommend going to a third party forum, posting the name, and then adding a note here just saying "full details at X".

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

maritzababyxo wrote:

No where in the rules does it actually say that - but people over-read the policy against harrassing others on the forums and presume it does. LLs has acted inconsistently in the past...

This is one case where I recommend going to a third party forum, posting the name, and then adding a note here just saying "full details at X".

Naming & Shaming is a phrase we use.

I don't know if it is 'over-reading' the policy but you are right, it at least has apeared to be inconsistantly applied.  But we have seen enough threads pulled that I think we can say it's a good guidline.

For the OP, the actual rule reads:

Interpersonal Disputes or Personal Negative Commentary: If you have a personal disagreement, do not post about it on the Second Life community pages. Residents who have personal differences have other channels of communication available to them — private messaging in the forums, IM within Second Life, or chatting within Second Life.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Community_Participation_Guidelines

If I was you I would be contacting support for an update on what has happened with your report and specifically whether it was the sim they crashed or you specifically. If it is the latter then I would be impressing on Linden Labs their obligations to advise and support you with regards to a potential need to report what has happened to the police for your own protection.

Aethelwine wrote:

If I was you I would be contacting support for an update on what has happened with your report and specifically whether it was the sim they crashed or you specifically. If it is the latter then I would be impressing on Linden Labs their obligations to advise and support you with regards to a potential need to report what has happened to the police for your own protection.

Absolutely agree with this. Normally LL says they don't give updates on Abuse Reports or anything, but in this case, threats of murder and rape on the internet are a federal crime. That's the sort of thing that gets the FBI and local police agencies involved, and if LL doesn't follow up with you on this, you've got every right to hold them just as liable as the person making the threats.

If it were me, I'd already have FBI cyber crimes already ripping hard drives out of LL's servers.

To OP: As this is a real life criminal act, if you know a lawyer - have them make a phone call to Linden Lab asking for an update. Support itself will just brush you off I suspect. But having someone make a call and start talking laws to the person on the other end of the phone, noting a Bar association number or something, and legal consequences - will at least push the issue beyond the 'outsourced to somwheristan phone support level'.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.