2014: Did you know? Growing Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3724 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

shares...

2014: Did you know? Growing Second Life

Second Life has currently more than 37 million residents.

Thats the amount of total residents in Second Life. One year ago and we are talking about 33 millions. 4 million residents in one year. The same between 2010 and 2011. Between 2011 and 2012 the jump was around 6 million. And from 2012 to 2013 nearly 5 million residents joined Second Life.

Open Second Life and you will see permanently 47.000 users online in average. The maximum peak every actual day is around 57.000. While in 2010 the maximum was reached with around 80.000 users.

Roughly 1 million users are using Second Life every month.

While General rated regions decreased by 30 percent and Moderate rated regions decreased by 25 percent, Adult rated regions were increasing by 100 % from 2011 until today. In this way Second Life is growing. The Main Grid total regions show a minus of roughly 17 % between 2011 and today. Today 18 % of all Main Grid regions are "Adult", 68 % are "Moderate" and 14 % "General".

The total area of the Main Grid is mentioned with 1715.86 km² which is equal to San Francisco (where Linden Lab is located), Berlin and Paris together.

Interpretations based on http://gridsurvey.com Our tipp of the day. Have a look for more detailed informations.

Best wishes from Maxim Ouachita for http://janicouachita.blogspot.com

I was logged in briefly last night, on an alt account, and out of the 100 or so avatars I encountered, only half of them were 'real' - the others were alts/Tiny Empires players/"bots". 

The "curiouser and curiouser" thread that was long-running on these forums also illustrates that a lot of "residents" are empty accounts - alts that are not actually contributing financially or socially or creatively to our world. (300 Traffic Injection alts on that particular thread - until LL appears to have pulled the plug on their activities).

Plus all the many landbots, which have now been outlawed by LL as of this year.

Plus all the accounts that I logged back in 2008 that used to pad out sims, hang around in clusters in skyboxes, to fake traffic figures.

All of these accounts - and many more - still exist on the database. These unfairly inflate those figures.  So while Second life may appear to be growing, it is active users that should be counted only, and generally, whenever I log in, there are, according to my log in activity screen, between £36,000 and £55,000 residents logged in at any one time (again, though, some of those are not actually active - see earlier in this post).

And take a look inworld with the Search facility.  Just type into the name search the first three letters of my first name and my surname.  It is not hard to see that Mar_____ Devin accounts mostly are empty profiles - suggestive of inactive users. That's the reality of those figures. A heck of a lot of people register an account with Second Life, never to return after realising how hard it is to get through the first hours/days/weeks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3724 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.