Spammers complaining about spam

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3856 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, apparently there are still merchants that automatically add you to their spam lists when you visit property they own. I had two do that to me recently.

After repeated IMs asking them to remove me and trying (and failing) to unsub from the devices sending me the spam, I set one up of my own that sends them a notecard and an IM on a regular basis, asking to be unsubscribed. This has worked before to contact people- they get the notecard when they log in, reply to me, and I shut off the server.

In this case... The first one flipped out and told me they'd mute me, among other expletives. The second one threatened to ban me "and all my objects" from their lands and AR me.

Am I the only person that thinks these people may be insane?

spam servers - Copy.JPG

spam server 2.JPG

I had one recently who was using an Alt Account (Bot?) to send the notices.  Her store was under the Alt Acct.  When I contacted her  on her Main she was "how did you find me."  I suggested to her that she needed to practice better Internet habits and should seriously consider doing a boot scan with her AV.

Silly girl!  Was writing the note cards with her Main and transferring them to her Bot.  But if she reads this now she'll know how I knew.

But getting to the point here, Insane People in SL still surprise you?  I'm shocked now!

Still, I have been considering starting a JIRA requesting that auto subscribers be banned in SL, Period.

Recently restrictions were placed on Bots because they were clogging the system.  But there still have to be 1000's upon1000's of messages gettting sent daily, the huge percentage going to people who will never see them because they have muted the sender.

The note in the image above claimed that I TOUCHED one of THOUSANDS, but the note card said "VISITED (landed in store)!"

Oh, and this is not the idiot I was talking about.  This one refuses to reply.

I hate the auto subscribers, and each time you're automatically added to one against your will the owners react like you did it on purpose or wanted to. Even got added to one by making a single purchase because obviously, that single purchase meant I was going to come back all the time to buy each and every future release.

Hippo Subscribers glitch, too. Two days ago I received an advert from a well known adult store which left me stumped as to why I was receiving it. I have never purchased a single of their items and have never been to their store. I used their support system to ask to be removed, and yesterday, the owner contacted me. She was very kind and told me she'd remove me but then she wrote me that she couldn't even find me in the update group list. 
I asked her which product I supposedly purchased, she told me it was a lesbian sex bed. It wasn't in my inventory, I was freaking out thinking that maybe my account was compromised. So I looked at my transaction list for the date and time of the purchase and nope, certainly didn't buy that. I told the merchant that and it took her a bit but it seemed that somehow, somewhere my username got linked to that certain purchase made by someone else as it clearly shows in her transaction history. The correct costumer shows up in the hippo list, however the update still goes out to me as when she clicks the name I somehow come up and being a ghost in that list she cannot remove me.

The glitch strongly reminded us of the marketplace bug where listings got mixed up between two entirely unrelated merchants.

In short, other than the auto add feature of hippo groups they also glitch and spam people who have never been to that store, or purchased a single of their products. 
Which in retrospect would explain why some merchants get defensive, if this glitch is more widespread than one would think, it would explain why we get unsolicited spam. Perhaps someone else touched the subscriber but our name got linked to it instead. Clearly happened to me in this case.

I did something like that a long time ago. I was incensed that when I rezzed a particular object that it shouted in the region that it was illegal to copybot and a whole load of other text accusing me of various things, just by rezzing.

What to do? Drop the object into another box that rezzed the shouty item and made a new copy every second.

Next login, item returned by LL accompanied by an email warning me of conduct, spamming another resident.

Well, since this was being rezzed at my sim and on my build platform, there could have only been one affected person.

How was I to know that her script of accusation would also be IM'ing her each time it rezzed? While I might have suspected, there was no way to know what her script did so LL had no business sending me such a warning when the IM's to creator were self inflicted.

Bottom line, if you don't want to be the potential recipient of junk spam, don't be a source of it.

Laetizia Coronet wrote:

You do realize that if you do not obscure the avatar key in that screenshot, everybody can see who that is, right? Just enter it in Google and you will see who is so
naughty

ooooops.  

fixed to comply with not naming and shaming.

as little as i give a durn in this situation.

Gadget Portal wrote:

Am I the only person that thinks these people may be insane?

Nope. I'm with you on this topic.

I still get spam from a XXX-furniture place from whom I bought some stuff in my early SL days in 2009. I've unsubbed multiple times. Once every few months I have to re-mute a series of objects when she updates her build and adds me to new ones...

And there are of course, a host of other spammers that fill up my notice queue over time, but for whom I have no reference as to how I got on their lists...

Perrie Juran wrote:

Still, I have been considering starting a JIRA requesting that auto subscribers be banned in SL, Period.

I'll sign that one.

I'd like to add this to it:

- manual subscribers are ok, but can only retain a subscriber for 6 months. and they MUST have a working unsub feature that is in a place NO PERSON ON THE LIST is banned from or otherwise unable to enter. And if they work via a third party company providing the service - that third party company MUST have a feature in a publc no-ban list G-rated venue that lets a person see EVERY list they are subbed to, and remove themselves from all or from select individual lists.

More or less, make it similar to the US's can-spam laws.

(Except those also require anyone running an email list ALSO include real world contact information in the form of a name, address, and working phone number - which people can use to unsub or to send 'legal notices'. :) )

Sassy Romano wrote:

I did something like that a long time ago. I was incensed that when I rezzed a particular object that it shouted in the region that it was illegal to copybot and a whole load of other text accusing me of various things, just by rezzing.

What to do? Drop the object into another box that rezzed the shouty item and made a new copy every second.

Next login, item returned by LL accompanied by an email warning me of conduct, spamming another resident.

Well, since this was being rezzed at my sim and on my build platform, there could have only been one affected person.

How was I to know that her script of accusation would also be IM'ing her each time it rezzed? While I might have suspected, there was no way to know what her script did so LL had no business sending me such a warning when the IM's to creator were self inflicted.

Bottom line, if you don't want to be the potential recipient of junk spam, don't be a source of it.

Wait, wait. You got warned because the creator made their own creation IM them? 

Gadget Portal wrote:

Exactly that.  Like I said, I challenged the "warning" because rezzing a copiable object in my own region, over and over is hardly anything wrong and I simply could NOT know what a no mod script inside the item did.  It's their fault entirely if they're spammed by their own creation.

No surprise though, I suspect the LL droid just looked at a pasted chat log of spam from their creation, originating from owner "me".

Sassy Romano wrote:

Gadget Portal wrote:

Exactly that.  Like I said, I challenged the "warning" because rezzing a copiable object in my own region, over and over is hardly anything wrong and I simply could NOT know what a no mod script inside the item did.  It's their fault entirely if they're spammed by their own creation.

No surprise though, I suspect the LL droid just looked at a pasted chat log of spam from their creation, originating from owner "me".

Wow. I've always known LL was made up of really stupid people, but that's a new one.

Gadget Portal wrote:

Sassy Romano wrote:

Wow.
I've always known LL was made up of really stupid people,
but that's a new one.

Only a really stupid person would believe what you wrote there. I've seen enough of your writing to know you're not stupid so I can only assume you were trolling as usual. You missed.

Anyone with even a fraction of a brain can see that LL is not made up of 'really stupid people'. Really stupid people could not have created this environment and kept it working. Yes, the person (or droid) who dealt with Sassy's issue was way off base (might not have been stupid, but was clearly not up to par on how things work in SL).

Your comment, if it can believed to be your actual opinion (which as I said I doubt), makes you look stupid.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Gadget Portal wrote:

Sassy Romano wrote:

Wow.
I've always known LL was made up of really stupid people,
but that's a new one.

Only a really stupid person would believe what you wrote there. I've seen enough of your writing to know you're not stupid so I can only assume you were trolling as usual. You missed.

Anyone with even a fraction of a brain can see that LL is not made up of 'really stupid people'. Really stupid people could not have created this environment and kept it working. Yes, the person (or droid) who dealt with Sassy's issue was way off base (might not have been stupid, but was clearly not up to par on how things work in SL).

Your comment, if it can believed to be your actual opinion (which as I said I doubt), makes you look stupid.

Really? Everything in this thread, and you're going to nitpick that?

I think PC is right.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3856 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.