LL or private renter?!?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3852 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Are their any benefits or drawbacks by getting a sim directly from LL or from a private renter? I have a private renter right now, but I do not have ALL the rates, due to me not being the estate owner. Such as, installing RAW files for my terrain. I have to contact a manager, they have to contact the owner, then u have to wait until he decides to log on in order for him to install it for me. Which is a big inconvenience.

some estates will give you EO rights when you take the full region which allows you to upload raw files ect, most wont allow this, 9/10 youll find the owners are also always offline, leave things for staff to do, you need to look around

purchasing off LL well a few draw backs, you have the initial outlay (if buying from LL 1000$ if buying private the purchase price if you can find one, current market is low on region selling) then you pay bLL directly for your tier rather than to a land owner

I remember seeing an "initial set up fee" when I was looking into LL land. Is that USD or $L? Hopefully $L lol. And you're absolutely right, the estate owner I have is never on, leaves everything to the managers. Which can not do more than I can, besides answer a few simple questions. Besides the EO rights, is there any perks to buying from LL? I'm just trying to see if the fees and money are worth the two extra rights that I know of. 1: renaming the region. 2: Installing RAW files.

hazeonelove wrote:

I remember seeing an "initial set up fee" when I was looking into LL land. Is that USD or $L? Hopefully $L lol. And you're absolutely right, the estate owner I have is never on, leaves everything to the managers. Which can not do more than I can, besides answer a few simple questions. Besides the EO rights, is there any perks to buying from LL? I'm just trying to see if the fees and money are worth the two extra rights that I know of. 1: renaming the region. 2: Installing RAW files.

Its US$. Nobody sets up new serverspace for L$.

The main advantage of renting directly from LL is, that there is no person between you and Linden Lab. That means, there won't be any problems caused by a third person for you. For example: If you are renting from another person, there is always the risk, that they deciede to leave SL or close their renting business or any reason, which will force you to move out of your place and if you have really bad luck, they don't inform you, that they are not going to pay for the next month.

Pretty much what the other poster told you. Find a private estate rental that will allow you to do those two things. I had rented a homestead (Full region with only 3750 prims instead of the full 15k) that allowed me all rights. Though the RAW terrain was another story. I could however upload the texturing for the region. 

To me, paying the initial set up, monthly premium costs as well as tier was -not- worth what I actually spent through a private rental.  I spent less than $140 a month for my homestead, to me that was worth my hobby. 

hazeonelove wrote:

If you are the owner of the region you can also restart the region when necessary and request rollbacks to a previous state in case of emergency.

You could avoid the setup fee by buying a private region outright from someone who's trying to sell theirs. There will be a transfer fee (which some sellers will be willing to eat to get it off their hands) but you can avoid the $1000 fee.

hazeonelove wrote:

Let me ask this, does LL provide payment options? Or do they want the full amount up front? Cuz if I can pay the $300+ (or a tad more) directly to LL, then that would be good. But not sure what the regulations are on that.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Estate_and_Private_Region_Billing_FAQ

I kinda feel dumb, but I'm still not clear on it. I read this link and it explained the logistics. But all it said is that for a private region, I will be billed $1,000 USD to my on-record credit card, then $295 monthly for basically maintenance fees. Which they're calling land use. But it's still not mentioning any kind of payment options for the set up fee. I mean... I would love to own my own estate. But I can't afford that set up fee all in one shot.

There is no payment plan, they expect it up front.  That is not the only way to own a private region.  If you find an individual selling their sim, you can purchase from them for their asking price, and a transfer must be arranged through LL for a fee, and then you become the owner of the sim with payment directly to LL each month for tier.  Unless I am wrong, the sim can be renamed as part of the transfer.  

Thank you for this! I didn't know. Of course, they don't promote it. Of course, they want to sell their own. But this is great to know. How would you think the smartest way to go about that is? I don't think going sim by sim looking for owners and asking them if they want to sell is a good idea lol. And probably a complete waste of time. But should I ask around, look on classifieds, etc.? I'm not familiar with using classifieds. I'm still unaware of how to organize events properly lol. Any info helps!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3852 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.