Constant crashing WTF?

friscolives

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The title pretty much explains my frustrations at the moment. Tonight so far i've crashed at least ten to fifteen times. I've used both the SL viewer and the Firestorm version of SL. I uninstalled both, did a reinstall, and still crash with the new ones. I don't know what's going on, but its really frustrating. I'm not sure if i'm the only one dealing with this, but its not a good impression to make--especially with the new Linden CEO just starting. I kind of hope that person tries to log in and gets to experience the same stuff i've dealt with all night. Maybe a new programmers looking for work in the morning hopefully.

most likely it's at your, or isp's side, if there's no stable datastream your avatar can loose connection to the sim and crash. This has nothing to do with the viewer, so uninstall won't help much.

Mostly it's helping to restart your modem and / or router. When i't;s at your isp's side they have to reset the connection.

friscolives wrote:

The title pretty much explains my frustrations at the moment. Tonight so far i've crashed at least ten to fifteen times. I've used both the SL viewer and the Firestorm version of SL. I uninstalled both, did a reinstall, and still crash with the new ones. I don't know what's going on, but its really frustrating. I'm not sure if i'm the only one dealing with this, but its not a good impression to make--especially with the new Linden CEO just starting. I kind of hope that person tries to log in and gets to experience the same stuff i've dealt with all night. Maybe a new programmers looking for work in the morning hopefully.

Don't expect to get any support on that cant without any technical background information.

It's just very frustrating. I can't provide much technical data outside of "darn...looks like you've been logged out" message I got every ten minutes or so after crashing. I use the same computer I've been using for two months now--and its a new computer so it's not like i'm trying to log on via some dinasaur set up. I just had crash after crash. I got to speak to a friend or two during the crash-a-thon and they said they were having similar problems.

I'm not even going to bother logging in today. Hopefully the technical wizards in Linden Labs will be able to find out the problem and resolve it. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope things work better in a day or two. Thanks to anyone who posted advise. I think I checked most all of those fixes last night and didn't have any luck.  I'll look at it a little later and hopefully there's something there I overlooked that will resolve the problem.

With full appreciation for how frustrating crashes can be, a post like yours doesn't give anyone enough information to even begin to help you.

Start with

• exactly what viewer were you using (copy all the information in the 'Help>About Second Life' floater and paste it into your description... there's even a handy button in that floater for doing the copy)
  • what were you doing when you crashed?
  • what exactly happened (did the the window freeze, did it just close, was there a message displayed, if so the exact text of that message)?
  • it sometimes helps to look in your SecondLife.log file for lines with ERROR on them

As much as we'd like to be able to magically solve your problem, you need to do your part too.

I started using the Firestorm viewer, which I have upgraded to the latest version about two weeks ago. I was on for maybe 5 minutes, then things froze, I couldnt go anything for about a minute or two, then got the message "darn, looks like you logged out" (or something similar to that.) I have had crashes before, so I just relogged a few minutes later, the same thing happened after a few minutes. I relogged, then tried to tp to a new area, and when tping it just got very slow, as it the line indicating the progress wasnt moving, then the message SL isnt responding. I uninstalled the viewer and reinstalled the latest firestorm viewer, relogged and after maybe 5 minutes I met a friend and started chatting via IM. Maybe 5 more minutes and suddenly things froze, then I got the message i'd been logged out again. I relogged, same thing happened.

I then went to the SL viewer and tried, again crashing maybe 10 mintes into thing. I think this time I tried switching my avatars outfit and it froze and crashed. I did get a message after loggng in a new viewer (or update was available and  I selected to install next time i logged in. Five minutes later I crashed, so reloged. The new viewer installed, then froze and crashed about five minutes in.  I relogged and again crashed after just roaming about ten minutes. I uninstalled the viewer completely, reinstalled the latest version and relogged. Once again meeting a different friend, chattng, then crashing (the screen freezing, then the message i'd been logged out.) I quit at that point. Just got so frustrated I left my initial angry vent here.

I am using a new HP laptop and connecting via a Verizon mobile hotspot. I realize this is not the ideal connection (wireless would be better) but its worked like a charm thus far. My computer is AMD 1-8 with 6 GB memory. Been able to run on high at a good frame rate for a while now. Windows 8.

It would be really helpful to know more detailed information about your system.
Therefore please do this:

In Firestorm viewer, from menu:
• "Help, About Firestorm"
• Copy the infomation from there and post it here

In Linden Lab viewer, from menu:
• "Help, About Second Life"
• Copy the infomation from there and post it here

Then somebody might have proper ideas what causes your problems; else it's just guesswork. Thanks. :smileyhappy:

The problem seems to have resolved. I was able to get online last night, I did crash once or twice but nothing like the previous evening. All I can think is that I must have been on during some service in my region. Regardless it does seem to work now. Thanks for all the help suggestions and advice. It was frustrating when it happened, but alls well that ends well.

Try logging into a less crowded sim, its no gurentee but might work, for some odd reason I cant log into or tp to a particular sim as it crashes as soon as my avi is there, the sim is my favourite hangout so really annoyig not being able to there.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.