All my HUDS were broken

Amanda9166

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone,

I am very distraught since for some reason ALL of my HUDs were broken at one point when I was exploring Heterocera Atoli. I do not know if this was some sort of attack by some hdden avi who just wanted to make my life miserable, or some technical glitch. 

I had to replace all the HUDs....major pain in the ass.

Do griefers have the ability to do this kind of damage? How can one protect oneself?

Thanks!

Amanda

sometimes you have to recompile the script to fix them, and you can only do that if the script is mod, an unusual thing for bought items.

yes it could happen again, I have had things like AOs break more than once with this. the best course is to not buy stuff that is no copy, and make a backup copy of scripted things before you wear them.

Go to the stores where you got the HUDs that won't reset and see if they have a redelivery terminal and if they do get another copy.  If they don't contact the creator and explain what happened and ask if they will give you a new one since you can't reset the scripts.  Its a reasonable request to make and probably they will do it.

Amanda9166 wrote:

PS: I have Firefox 4.3.03.30936.

How are you traveling from place to place? The fact that the first information you give us is your web browser suggests you're doing something other than just going from place to place just using the viewer. You don't need to use a web browser to get around in SL; it just adds a layer of complication.

Alwin Alcott wrote:

just being curious.... ALL your huds are broken.... how many do you wear ?... i can't imagine the ones that were in your inventory are broken too

Very good question! Huds you use for changing colors or sizes in hair, shoes or clothing can be taken off when you're happy with the way it looks. Just attach them again when you want to change something. Taking them off also reduces scriptcount and helps to reduce lag.

In fact, there is a way for an attacker to cause all scripts entering the region to become not-running. Including huds and vehicles, and scripts in newly-rezzed objects. I typically see this at Linden telehubs/infohubs (where worn crashers are also common).

You will see an error message saying something along the lines of "too many scripts in the region". And if you look at statistics it will probably say there are 45000 or so scripts.

The only thing you can do to avoid this is to avoid Linden hubs. You can usually restore your attachments to working order by going to a different region, opening the editor, clicking your item, and then using the tools option mentioned earlier in the thread. You don't need to detach it for this to work.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.