Why does the Marketplace/SL website/SL slow my internet down so much?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3774 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First off, i HATE coming to these forums because usually they are just full of jerks who post obnoxious sarcastic comments so hopefully I can actually get a legit answer.

Everybody I know that plays this game has this same problem but ive never knew why. Why does the SL website/game make my internet run so slow? I mean i understand the game because it has to load so many things I guess even though im working with a 45mbps DL/15mbps UL speeds, but how come the website does this to me? It destroys my bandwith. If i try to go onto the SL website and try to do ANYTHING else that involves my internet...it just takes forever. If im on skype, if i go to the SL website, my skype quality drops 100%. Does anybody know why it does this? Its not just me either...I am just really confused. Never had a problem with any other website in the world doing this to me besides for SL's. 

Jandid Harcourt wrote:

First off, i HATE coming to these forums because usually they are just full of jerks who post obnoxious sarcastic comments so hopefully I can actually get a legit answer.

Everybody I know that plays this game has this same problem but ive never knew why. Why does the SL website/game make my internet run so slow? I mean i understand the game because it has to load so many things I guess even though im working with a 45mbps DL/15mbps UL speeds, but how come the website does this to me? It destroys my bandwith. If i try to go onto the SL website and try to do ANYTHING else that involves my internet...it just takes forever. If im on skype, if i go to the SL website, my skype quality drops 100%. Does anybody know why it does this? Its not just me either...I am just really confused. Never had a problem with any other website in the world doing this to me besides for SL's. 

I think they are trying to get it to imitate being In World.

I've never dug into why but this is the only web property I peruse that consistently and regularly crashes my browser (Firefox).

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Jandid Harcourt wrote:

Good luck.

...Dres

you were actually the exact person I was talking about, everytime I make a post YOU are the first to comment with something obnoxious or that doesnt answer my question at all. Now that you got that out of your system, hopefully somebody can reply with something related to the post :)

Perrie Juran wrote:

Jandid Harcourt wrote:

I think they are trying to get it to imitate being In World.

I've never dug into why but this is the only web property I peruse that consistently and regularly crashes my browser (Firefox).

mhmmm not sure why it does this but oh yeah i have problems. My page was just refreshing for 2 minutes lol, its really annoying =/ 

I don't experience this myself and haven't heard from other people that I know that they have this issue either.  Sometimes SL sites themselves run very slow when I am on them, because SL does have issues from time to time.  But if I have other web pages open on other tabs, they run fine.

Some ISP providers do throttle data, perhaps the one you use does this.  If you have SL open as well as a few web pages plus skype, that could very well be the case. 

Check what your max bandwidth is set to: Preferences>Setup - adjust the slider. Its possible its set too high and hogging your bandwidth?

Marketplace etc being slow is probably a separate issue. I've had that happen plenty of times and just put it down to peak traffic.  Skype can be even worse for sucking up bandwidth and its the first thing to have problems, so that's not really a symptom of anything except that skype sucks bandwidth.

And yeah...seriously...bad way to ask for help. There's my attempt at helping because I just had coffee #1.

IvanBenjammin wrote:

<snip>

Marketplace etc being slow is probably a separate issue. I've had that happen plenty of times and just put it down to peak traffic.  Skype can be even worse for sucking up bandwidth and its the first thing to have problems, so that's not really a symptom of anything except that skype sucks bandwidth.

</snip>

I figured they were using a dial-up connection for the Market Place.

I just timed it.  Time from clicking my bookmark to the home page loading:  29 Seconds.

That is really about average for me.

I got through to the ObamaCare website faster!  ;)

Jandid Harcourt wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Jandid Harcourt wrote:

Good luck.

...Dres

you were actually the exact person I was talking about, everytime I make a post YOU are the first to comment with something obnoxious or that doesnt answer my question at all. Now that you got that out of your system, hopefully somebody can reply with something related to the post
:)

I didn't answer your question because I simply don't have an answer and if you think that someone wishing you luck is obnoxious, you have more problems than a slow internet site.

...Dres

Hi Jandid,

I’m not a technical expert but I do try to look into factors that affect the performance of my computer on SL. The items I mentioned below are things that I have taken into consideration in order to run SL smoothly on my computer or run SL and my search engine at the same time. I really hope this helps in some way. I also hope that someone with more technical knowledge can help you pin point your issues and fix your problem. If you do encounter such information, please post it here so I can learn also. I wish you the best, thank you

Here are some reasons that may be causing your problem:

1. You are using a Wifi connection (laptop?) <NUMBER 1 reason

2. You are using Explorer as your search engine

3. Your PC is running too many unnecessary programs that are draining your CPU and slowing your PC down

4. Your computer does not meet the minimum requirements or meets some but not all of the minimum requirements for SL.

5. Your internet provider does not provide a required internet connection for high impact 3D gaming. (It seems ok based on the info you provided)

6. Your graphics card is not in sync with your computer specs

7. You only have an integrated graphics card

7. You SL viewer graphic settings are set too high

8. Your SL viewer is not up to date

9. Your Drivers are not up to date (Windows and/or Video Card)

Best, Lori

LoriLexa wrote:

Hi Jandid,

I’m not a technical expert but I do try to look into factors that affect the performance of my computer on SL. The items I mentioned below are things that I have taken into consideration in order to run SL smoothly on my computer or run SL and my search engine at the same time. I really hope this helps in some way. I also hope that someone with more technical knowledge can help you pin point your issues and fix your problem. If you do encounter such information, please post it here so I can learn also. I wish you the best, thank you

Here are some reasons that may be causing your problem:

1. You are using a Wifi connection (laptop?) <NUMBER 1 reason

2. You are using Explorer as your search engine

3. Your PC is running too many unnecessary programs that are draining your CPU and slowing your PC down

4. Your computer does not meet the minimum requirements or meets some but not all of the minimum requirements for SL.

5. Your internet provider does not provide a required internet connection for high impact 3D gaming. (It seems ok based on the info you provided)

6. Your graphics card is not in sync with your computer specs

7. You only have an integrated graphics card

7. You SL viewer graphic settings are set too high

8. Your SL viewer is not up to date

9. Your Drivers are not up to date (Windows and/or Video Card)

Best, Lori

1. Wifi and ive tried on hardwire

2. Chrome

3. I have an i7 8core processor with 16 gigs of ram, i have more than enough recources and its not that trust me

4. oh it does

5. yeah it does lol

6. It is 

7. I have an integrated and Nvidia card, i run SL on the nvidia card, its not the graphics its a bandwith problem

7 ^^. once again, its not graphics, but i do run the game on low alot just to let it run at at least 60fps

8. viewer is always up to date

9. drivers are always up to date

i appreciate the answer but yeah its not my graphics settings, its a bandwith problem =/ its ok i was just curious

Hi Jandid

I was once a regular poster, but I only ever use these forums now if I'm trying to find a specific problem I am having. The MP site has been very slow for me as well, especially today. I do something else while I wait, as I am doing now.

I can relate completely, not only to your web site problem but also to the reason you state for being hesitant about posting here. I'm sure there are many others who would never be brave enough to post here, which is a shame. Same old faces everyday.

And I thought the same thing you did when I read the second post.

Well, MP has loaded for me now so I'm off to do more productive things.

Jandid Harcourt wrote:

Everybody I know that plays this game has this same problem but ive never knew why. Why does the SL website/game make my internet run so slow?

Obviously, and fortunately for me, you don't know me then, since I don't experience that problem. LL's website is just like any other website, all the extensions (MP, maps, whatever) as well. Now the "game" itself is a different beast altogether. Since it opens up many multiple ports and also depends on your upload far more than  any other game.

And what everybody should know about the rules of SL:

1) you don't do anything else on the internet while playing SL

2) you don't skype

3) you don't check your mail

4) you don't do torrents

5) you don't watch or listen to streams other than the ones available in world

6) you never talk about fight club

Rya Nitely wrote:

And I thought the same thing you did when I read the second post.

And here I thought I was being gentle in my reply to the OP.  Perhaps I should have just stated outright my dislike of the negativity displayed within the portion of that post which I'd quoted.  I mean, honestly, if wishing someone good luck is enough to bend you and the OP all out of shape, then why hold back, right?

...Dres

Jandid Harcourt wrote:

[
annoying intro deleted
]

[
pre problem statement of representing many others ignored
].

[ Actual question: ]  Why does the SL website/game make my internet run so slow? I mean I understand the game because it has to load so many things I guess even though I'm working with a 45mbps DL/15mbps UL speeds, but how come the website does this to me? It destroys my bandwidth. If I try to go onto the SL website and try to do ANYTHING else that involves my internet...it just takes forever. If I'm on skype, if I go to the SL website, my skype quality drops 100%. Does anybody know why it does this? [
post problem statement of representing many others ignored
] I am just really confused. [
pre problem statement that only SL web-sites cause this problem ignored
]

What you are experiencing is some kind of limiting of HTTP requests on your PC and/or Network Card and/or ISP provider.  You can verify this by visiting similar websites as the MarketPlace, [like Facebook or a Store Market Place] which have many embedded image links requiring many HTTP requests to satisfy the display of the complete page(s).

The clue to the problem is that your Skype Quality drops when this happens. Skpye requires many sequential sent & received HTTP packets to have a 100% quality number. IP Packet rebroadcast requests kill Skype quality.

Now possible causative locations is what you need to discover.

To determine if this is an issue with your PC or your ISP please try another known clean and properly prepared PC hooked to your ISP supplied router. If the results are the same then you have either

1) a faulty ISP supplied Router

~ or ~

2)  one of those ISPs with terrible Internet Edge Hand-off connections. The speed of your internet connection to your home doesn't matter a hoot. Any particular internet session [Web page or SL Viewer Session] can only operate as fast at the sending Server plus the ISPs internal routing services plan and the allowed simultaneous open HTTP requests. Unfortunately, you can not force your ISP to correct this issue if both PCs experience the same issue.

All the high-speed [45mbps DL/15mbps UL] service allows for is great Digital TV services. You even can use tools like www.speedtest.com to verify that speed but that doesn't mean that your internet services are not being throttled in some way.

Anyway, perform that 2nd PC test and post your results back here please. If by your claim that many are experiencing this same issue you mean that other members of your household see the same thing on their PCs then you have your answer.

Now how to get your ISP to correct this is a good question. If you are on a School or corporate network then that "entity" is a possible source of the issue you are experiencing.

Remember, it's not Linden Lab's [or Facebook's or any other store website's] issue that you can not interact with their site.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3774 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.