Is there any way to acquire land, or a home, that doesn't require monthly payments?

VoluptuousVictoria

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello All,

I'm rather new to SL, so please go easy on me.  :)

My ultimate goal is get a house or home of some kind, but I don't way to have to pay montly fees.

1)  My first question is, is there a way to buy land, or acquire land, that doesn't require montly "tier" payments, or rent payments?   I don't mind spending a lot of cash up front if I could just "buy" something outright, but I just do not l ike the idea of having to continue to make monthly payments.

2)   If I cannot get land, is there any creative way to buy a home outright, where it doesn't require monthly payments?  For example, could I buy some type of large yacht, house-boat, RV, spaceship... etc.... where the vehicle contains a home inside?

Just like in real life, you have to pay monthly (or weekly) payments to someone. You can buy land through Linden Lab or a private seller, but you still have to pay monthly fees. There just isn't any way around it. No matter where the home is, it still takes up space on the Lnden Lab servers, and someone has to pay. You can pay them directly or you can pay someone else for the use of their home or land and THEY have to pay Linden lab the tier fees. The only way you will ever have a home in Second life is to pay for it and keep paying for it as long as you have the home/land. It is possible you could have a friend who may give you free rent or free space, but they have to pay for it themselves and would be a very good friend to you in deed! 

Now if you want affordable housing, I do own rental property with some of the best rates in SL, but I do require payment weekly/biweekly/monthly. You can find me in search: Melody Star Paradise Village. Even if you don't rent, feel free to stop by for a visit and enjoy the amenteties.

Good luck to you!

Star

They're not common, but you could get a yacht or RV. The problem is you wouldn't be able to customize it much, if at all. And you'd still have nowhere to put it.

The only way to get land without tier is to find some generous person that might share theirs.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Inworld-Employment/Hiring-Assistant-and-or-Clothing-Model/td-p/2461537

Can someone explain how yachts work?   Sorry, I = noob.

Let's say I saved up and bought a mega yacht, aka   https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Large-Luxury-Yacht-ES-Fortune-by-Titilayo-Yachts/425570?page=1

How would I be able to use, or store/park, something like this?  

Is there free ocean water where I coudl just rez and it keep it, or would I need to pay some kind of "docking fee" to a boat club somewhere? 

VoluptuousVictoria wrote:

Can someone explain how yachts work?   Sorry, I = noob.

Let's say I saved up and bought a mega yacht, aka  

How would I be able to use, or store/park, something like this?  

Is there free ocean water where I coudl just rez and it keep it, or would I need to pay some kind of "docking fee" to a boat club somewhere? 

For a boat like that, no. You'd need to still pay a weekly or monthly tier for a large portion of land.

However, something like this, you could rez on the Blake Sea while you're there and using it.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/MLCC-Oceanic/3394559

It would get returned to you once you logged out though, and you'd have to rez it again once you logged back in.

Or if you wanted to use mainland roads...  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/AnacondaS-Road-Odyssey-House-Bus/3039433

hi!

After 7 years living DAILY in virtual worlds, i can say im experianced enough and so i have seen many people who are exactly like you! And thats how all we have to be!

So, with a few words..

I own more than one and a half Region and most of it it is for sale..

ALL my lands are FREE for the community to be used unless rented or sold.

So, if i add my land to all that protected land and all the rest landlords who let the parcels free, then im sure its going to be more than the half grid free to use from people. -Now if the people want to have them stuff rezed out permantly or they want to have "rights" more than those are given... Then simply go pay like the rest 90% of the Virtual world users!

p.s. this world is beautiful simply because a lot of people left for FREE their work here...

Cheers! Keep demanding free worlds! Real or virtual! We all deserve it!

p.s.2. for to go to my land(s) ...Simply open my profile.. i dont want to spam this post with my LMs

All linden water has autoreturn on, with the exception of small rez areas.  If you are not sitting on your boat using built in animations linked to the boat its going to be returned to you within a short time.  You are also not allowed to keep a boat in the rez areas.  They are strictly for rezzing a boat then moving out. 

Boats suitable for a house come in two varieties.  Those intended for stationary use and those for sailing.  When you sail it you are limited to a certain number of prims by the physics in SL, so these boats rarely have much in the way of furniture or they have a system to rez out the furniture for use only when you need it.  But again, unless your avatar is sitting on something linked to the boat itself, it will be returned. So neither of these two types is going to work for this.

Just about everything in SL can be found for free if you look hard enough , but not land.  Land tiers are your share of the cost of running the servers.  You either have a home and pay tiers or rent, or you don't have a home.  Offers of free places to live rarely are available and don't usually last long. Even a good friend that lets you live free on their land will eventually come to the point of feeling that you are using them if you don't pay something to help out with tiers.  After all why should anyone else pay for your SL?

Luckily you don't HAVE to have a home in SL, and many people don't.  However it is nice to have one and makes your SL all the more enjoyable, IMO.

You say you don't mind paying for land, but don't want to pay every month...have you considered paying for a Premium membership? You could go for the annual payment so that you only have to pay once per year, and have a Linden home or 512 sq m land allowance (plus the sign-up bonus and weekly stipend). Just a thought, if  your concern is just that you don't want to have to make payments very often. 

VoluptuousVictoria wrote:

Well the thing is... I want an actual "house" vehicle, with rooms and at least a bedroom and stuff. 

How do I know what the size limit is for free storage?

There are two basic "states" for any given object in SL - the "rezzed" state, where it is a physical object in-world, and the "inventory" state, where it exists only as a notation in the inventory databases. You can have basically limitless items in your inventory, for free, and forever.  It's only when they're rezzed in-world that they're subject to return, etc.

You could keep a vehicle in your inventory and only rezz it out when you're in-world; however, you'd either need to stay "seated" on it or have it on a region with an auto-return time longer than the time you'd be planning to spend in-world for that session.

Sylvia Tamalyn wrote:

You say you don't mind paying for land, but don't want to pay every month...have you considered paying for a Premium membership? You could go for the annual payment so that you only have to pay once per year, and have a Linden home or 512 sq m land allowance (plus the sign-up bonus and weekly stipend). Just a thought, if  your concern is just that you don't want to have to make payments very often. 

This seems like the closest OP will come to what they want, especially if they are happy enough with the 512 sq m allowance.   I like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Wearable tents and small boats exist, but they don't really feel like a home.  Wearable skyboxes meant for quick wardrobe changes also exist, and don't feel like a home.  If you use the Firestorm viewer, you can set up outfits and only need minimal privacy to quick change between them.

What does exist are very cheap weekly rentals of land from land barons.  This might be a way to experiment with the idea of having a small home if you're not ready to go premium or commit to a larger rental.

You could also just remember to always log in at a LL owned water sim or park, if what you really just wanted was a chance to gather your thoughts and answer messages, before heading out onto the grid.  When I was landless I'd keep two SLURLs to hand, one for the deep ocean floor on a LL water sim, and one at the sim where my favorite community did most of its gathering.

It's also possible to belong to a group that will let you set home on group land, once you get involved with something.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.