Blatant Game rips are blatant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Chick-Family-Pack-Mesh-Full-Perm/5726903Chocobo and much more, all seemingly uploaded within a short period
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/BGC-Helmet-Collection/5502523 skyrim helmets and much more, alluploaded frequently and this store has been goin on for quite some time.

I am seeing a lot of the same animal uploads from these 2 in the recent Full-Perm listing s and its starting to make me physically ill.

Its becomming wher I cant even stand to go on themarketplace because I see so much ripped and copyrighted content. You would think there would be at least one person at LL that would look at new marketplace listings making sure the rules are being followed. It would best to have a team doing it that was familiar with games and what to look for. Failing that a way to report them as at the momenrt only the copyright holder can and we all know none of these companies have SL on their radar.

It getting fairly rediculouse the amount of copyrighted content on the marketplace FP and resold by those who bought them either knowingly or not.

It is almost if we'd do a better job running the marketplace than LL.

Amethyst Gears wrote:You would think there would be at least one person at LL that would look at new marketplace listings making sure the rules are being followed. It would best to have a team doing it that was familiar with games and what to look for. Failing that a way to report them as at the momenrt only the copyright holder can and we all know none of these companies have SL on their radar.

Do you think they could hire staff that could recognise game assets from just about any game by sight?  Nope, it's not feasible.  The process exists to deal with this and that's all that LL are obliged to follow and it's the right thing otherwise we'd risk having genuine items removed on a whim of a droid at LL.  Wait!  We already have that in the flagging process where droids take down stuff that is wholly compliant with the rules.  NO THANKS!

The way to report them is to notify the copyright holder, it's up to them to action it or not.

I would rather LL spend time on taking down empty boxes with the advert of a genuine product, that's a more important issue as it's utter fraud and VERY easy to check but they don't rush to do that either.

Amethyst Gears wrote:

Chocobo and much more, all seemingly uploaded within a short period

skyrim helmets and much more, alluploaded frequently and this store has been goin on for quite some time.

I am seeing a lot of the same animal uploads from these 2 in the recent Full-Perm listing s and its starting to make me physically ill.

Its becomming wher I cant even stand to go on themarketplace because I see so much ripped and copyrighted content. You would think there would be at least one person at LL that would look at new marketplace listings making sure the rules are being followed. It would best to have a team doing it that was familiar with games and what to look for. Failing that a way to report them as at the momenrt only the copyright holder can and we all know none of these companies have SL on their radar.

It getting fairly rediculouse the amount of copyrighted content on the marketplace FP and resold by those who bought them either knowingly or not.

It is almost if we'd do a better job running the marketplace than LL.

Really?  Makes you physically ill?

I looked up Chocobo, because I have never heard of it and therefore would not recognize one of their copyrighted characters by sight, to see evidence of this "blatant" game rip, but I don't see one.  Those do not resemble, in my opinion, the chickens/chicks from the game.  They look like umm...chickens.  The other animals depicted on this stores page look like umm...animals. Animals that exist in RL for which no one can claim IP rights.  The helmets-What particular game are they from?   I wonder if it makes you physically ill when someone is accused of unlawful actions based upon nothing other than someone's opinion? 

Before you let yourself get physically ill, why not contact Chocobo directly, provide the link and let the actual legal process unfold before you potentially libel yourself and get sued? 

Just because you have seen an asset that you've seen before in Skyrim or any other game that allows users to upload their own assets doesn't necessarily mean that it's illegal.  Many people upload their content as "free to use" usually as a compliance with the game's policies on uploads.  To be fair to your point though most add a clause that it is not to be monetised and that any reproduction at least credits them with the original design. 

As somebody has already mentioned, the amount of staff required who could readily identify an asset from another game would be huge and costly and why does it fall to LL to police internet IPR fraud?  In the physical world a large retail store does not have to employ its own staff to police cheap and illegal copies of popular goods produced by other legit businesses.  It's down to the original creators to protect their own copyrights and patents and report them to the police themselves.

If you want to be further outraged then Google SketchUp and Blender both have huge free to use mesh model librarys where you can download thousands of different models of items from cars to furniture and everything else you might expect to see in Second Life.  As you browse through those pages you will recurringly think, 'I've seen that in SL!" and you will probably be correct.  And don't get me started on texture merchants who quite commonly rip a free texture from the web add a little hue, tone or brush effect then put it up for sale as their own original work with the strictest re-use licenses attached for L$250 to L$500.

Yeah, that's definitely not a chicken. Its has floppy ears..

I agree absolutely with the OP. This creator isn't even trying to pretend its their own work. Basic posters, little to no description - its like they know its going to get taken down so are just hoping to make a few bucks beforehand.

I think LL is managing the MP to their own standards. Since its only copyright infringement when the copyright holder claims it, LL can keep making their 5% commission on every sale - in effect they'd be spending resources policing the MP in order to reduce their own revenue.

So yeah, that sucks.

Chocobo - Ridable mount  - From Final Fantasy games.... all of them that I am aware of. It's a very trademarked mount/character/breed.

Skyrim Helms - these are the the helms you can get in the game straight out no mods. Anyone who has Seen a Skyrim ad even should regonise the downswept horns on the helm one.

This is why I called those particular ones Blantant. Anyone worth their salt as a gamer, even a casual gamer would recognise those. There are plenty of other examle sI could point on in both of those accounts that are just as well known.

I am mearly hopeful that LL would even try to hire capable people who would know their stuff or be ewilling to do research.

Reporting does not always work. The only company that I can rely on to look into reports is a company I worked for at one time. I have no ide if th ecompanies I have contacted do anything at all or that even if such action is taken on a few items if the store is allowed to continue anyways. Anytime i have checked, those items were still there. My partner says the only way LL is going to take action is if a bunch of crears Sue LL together. What makes me sick is there seems to be no repercussions, these run rampant, anytime I go into the marketplace I have to weed thorugh them FP or not and I am sure those who know they run ther risk of buying copyrighted items and knowing that if the items are DMCA-ed at some point, those items they bought go bye-bye. That is a form of ripping off consumers, not only of ripping off original ownership. Not even turbo squid has as bad a problem as SL does with ripped/copyrighted material. You can genuinly report to them with proof. As a creator, as a vender, as a honest person, I cannot but help but be upset by it. trust me i am just as upset by any content that is copied/tweaked/used that does not have the original creators permission. I try not to be disheartened by it and I call it what it is.

Even selling CC items without crediting the author is dishonest. But none I could identify where under those terms, most were being sold without permission. Even if one is not CC, it taints the whole. If you don't stand for anything you will fall for anything. I call it out, I hope something can be done. I can but hope Ll will one day. I do not want to just stand idily by and ignore it. You can if you want, your choice. I can be upset by it if I want to be.

Hugs you, because it's late and this a big ugly monster I can't help you with and I've never played Skyrim either.  However, like in Skyrim there will be another hero along in a minute who if they can't solve your problem will surely carve the heads off some likely suspects and generally make us all feel a lot better that their sorts are no longer around.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

Sassy Romano wrote:

LL cannot just make assumptions about who is the rights holder, just because they have seen something on Marketplace.  That is the problem and the resolution method already exists.  That's all there is to it really, just like all the content on Pictogram, YouTube, Vimeo etc.

With a bit of change of emphasis:

Anyone can see something on the Marketplace and make assumptions about the rights holder.  And those assumptions can range from justifiable to malicious. And that is also part of the problem and the reason the resolution method exists.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.