Copyright Royalty Judges Announcment

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've seen discussions in the past regarding licensing and royalties for DJ's iN SL, and whether they are needed. 

I came across this on the Internet, and noticed that IMVU is being audited by the Copyright Royalty Judges. This is related to music.  I'm only hoping this doesn't mean that LL will be next, and if so, what will this mean to the DJ's and clubs of SL. Or does IMVU pay all licensing and royalty fees to the industry?

I'm only raising the question because IMVU is being audited, it seems. 

Thoughts?

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2014/01/15/2014-00654/notice-of-intent-to-audit

" The Copyright Royalty Judges announce receipt of five notices of intent to audit the 2010, 2011, and 2012 statements of account submitted by Sirius XM Radio, Inc.; IMUV, Inc.; Crystal Media Networks; Pandora Media, Inc.; LoudCity LLC concerning the royalty payments made by each pursuant to two statutory licenses."

don't get me wrong, i'm no saint too with streaming my music, but it's as illegal as it can be of course, everybody who streams music for others to enjoy has to pay royalties.

When doing it correctly i would have to pay around 317 euro a year for  he royalties, or a certain amount per user per song and time listened,  and around 577 euro for broadcastingrights (not the stream itself just the right to put it on the internet). And of course use legally owned music, downloads from torrents and newsgroups... well i don't have to tell thats not the most legal way to get your songs :)

Don't think they will announce it when they'r going to hunt some wild streams, they can scan the internet for keys that are baked into the songs, if they find you you wont have to tell what you broadcasted, they know it up to the second, and present you the bill....

The broadcasting in SL isn't a huge priority for them, yet, relatively there are to few people to make it worth the hunt. Thats the only reason it's been quite safe.

Venus Petrov wrote:

I agree that SL is small beans for auditing this stuff.  If it comes down to paying for copyright royalty most, if not all, clubs will be out of biz niz.  If that ever happens, so be it.  I DJ for the lols anyway.

When you play music for profit the club or the DJ you are doing somethign illegal unless you pay royalities and its the Clubs they will go after not the DJ's unless they are making copies and selling them. Its the clubs responsibility to make those payments. If they cant do it, then dont have a club, simple. It is not hard to understand. But like copybotting, as long as they get away with it they will do it.

But we all turn a deaf ear to copyright stuff on music here. We make exceptions.  IF you accept payment you are then doing something illegal and are no better than a copybotter in my opinion. No disrespect intended.  If you do it for LOL and no tips.. then you are not doing anything wrong because this could be like a party at your house where you spin tunes... 

Tarina Sewell wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

I agree that SL is small beans for auditing this stuff.  If it comes down to paying for copyright royalty most, if not all, clubs will be out of biz niz.  If that ever happens, so be it.  I DJ for the lols anyway.

When you play music for profit the club or the DJ

I do not play music for profit in SL.  I have invested many hundreds of dollars (USD) in purchasing music and the tool (SAM) to stream music into SL.  I will never make a profit DJ'ing in SL.

• 2 months later...

> I'm only raising the question because IMVU is being audited, it seems.

I realize I'm a bit late to the conversation, but I sincerely hope IMVU gets audited over a *lot* of things. Copyright infringment and intellectual property theft are running just *crazy* rampant. Young kids are skirting the age requirements too easily. Lots of adult chat and content in the General Access areas, along with pervs scoping for kids there.

And now, malware. IMVU has begun "partnering" with Perion, formerly Conduit, makers of an especially nasty browser hijacker that they rather ironically call Search Protect. It's now "offered" as part of the IMVU client installer; It's *really* difficult to remove and has done some fairly serious damage to users' computers. My wife's was one of them.

I can scarcely believe that products like Search Protect are legal, and that was the very last straw for me. I left after eight years of being a member. Seriously, let 'em go down in flames.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.