Bitcoin - Local Payments Program by Lindenlab

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3805 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Post by Lindenlab:

Today Linden Lab concluded the Second Life local payments beta program. Our payments system now includes the ability for international Residents to pay in local currencies,  making it easier and more cost effective for Residents to do business in Second Life.

If you participated in the local payments beta, please make sure you have updated your billing information on Secondlife.com:https://secondlife.com/my/account/billing.php

If you have any questions or concerns, please visit our Knowledge Base  or reach out toll-free via phone to Linden Lab Support at 1-800-294-1067 (U.S./Canada) or long distance at (703) 286-6277.

Residents not in the United Stated can reach out to dedicated regional toll-free phone numbers:

United Kingdom: 0800.048.4646

France: 0805.101.490
Germany: 0800.664.5510

Japan: 0066.33.132.830
Portugal: 800.814.450

Spain: 800.300.560

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Update-Local-Payments-Beta-Program-Concluded-Jan-24/td-p/1352369

Question: Are Bitcoins supported ? Would be great, because they are accepted globally and every local currency is changeable globally in Bitcoin.

I am sure not every local currency in the world will be accepted by the program. So Bitcoin would be a very smart solution for it.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

No.  Bitcoins are not a local currency.

Yes, you are totally right - they are a global digital currency like Lindendollar. But Lindendollar is more unknown.

A integration of Bitcoin in the new payments program is cheaper using Bitpay.com then the more exprensive solution integrating a bunch of local fiat currencies.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

A shady global ghost currency

Just this week

I am so glad, that the rest of the real world doesn't believe you - otherwise Bitcoins value wouldn't be at around 1000$ at the moment.

But you mean maybe with shady, global ghost currency Lindendollar. Thats maybe the reason i cant find it at investing.com. In this case i would be sorry.

You can watch live at Bitcoins value here (Trend is "bullish" if you are good with technical analysis):

http://www.investing.com/currencies/btc-usd-technical?period=month

If you need a Forex Lesson inworld, no problem. I am accepting Bitcoin.

Dude, get over the bitcoin thing. It's not happening. Not only is it a legal mine field, but it's not worth it due to the conversion rate.

Bitcoins aren't accepted here. Obsessing over it is making it seem like you're eager to cash in on a scam.

Gadget, he's never going to understand this.  if the lab does take them, I'm out, my company is out,  we will be done.  because it leaves to much risk involved and he'll come in say "what risk"  oh money laundering, more legal issues for the lab, I can go on and on with him on this, but I am going to take the higher route and avoid getting myself into trouble.

Gadget Portal wrote:

Dude, get over the bitcoin thing. It's not happening. Not only is it a legal mine field, but it's not worth it due to the conversion rate.

Bitcoins aren't accepted here. Obsessing over it is making it seem like you're eager to cash in on a scam.

If it is happening or not is written in the stars. The conversion rate is not a problem, when you use a payment processor as middleman, because you are getting dollars or whatever you like in the same minute.

And as far as i know Secondlife is used a lot for money laundering in the past with normal Lindendollars, so i can see no difference.

Pro Bitcoin: i can change it wherever i like, pay with them wherever i like. If i pay to you 10k Linden its a legal minefield as well, because there is no contract exisiting. It works only on the Marketplace buying goods with Lindenlabs as middleman.

I would say: its the choice between 2 devils, if you know what i mean.

bigmoe Whitfield wrote:

Gadget, he's never going to understand this.  if the lab does take them, I'm out, my company is out,  we will be done.  because it leaves to much risk involved and he'll come in say "what risk"  oh money laundering, more legal issues for the lab, I can go on and on with him on this, but I am going to take the higher route and avoid getting myself into trouble.

I toly you my answer: If Paypal is accepting Bitcoin, and you are using Paypal for withdrawals i would like you to guarantee me that your company is out of here. If Lindenlabs is doing the same without Paypal there is no difference. The only contra Point is that it has to be changed fast. But if you can change your Bitcoins the same second at Lindenlabs directly and automatically you cant argue, that you would have some disadvantages.

If you have, feel free to explain them to me.

You are talking about money laundering with Bitcoin.

Do you call the following organizations money laundering organizations?

- Ebay (Thinking about offering Bitcoin as payment option)

- Google (Thinking about integrating Bitcoin as payment option in Google Wallet > Android Apps)

- Zynga (Accepting Bitcoin)

- Overstock.com (Accepting Bitcoin for payments)

- Virgin / Virgin Galactics (Richard Branson - Accepting Bitcoin)

- US government (Accepting Bitcoin for Donations, Selling Bitcoin from criminal organizations)

- 20.000 shops worldwide, feel free to google them all.

Sorry to say that, but you sound like a fanboy. Who told you that i would like to cash them out to $ for example. It is okay for me to pay with Bitcoin and accepting them. No need to "cash them out" ;)

BTW:

If you want to exchange Bitcoin to $ or whatever local currency you use, you have to verify at an exchanger of your choice. This exchanger usually needs your passport and a provement of your address.

Didn't notice that LL is doing that. In my opinion its easier to launder money with L$. If you would like to launder money it would be better just accepting L$ instead of Bitcoin.

Gadget Portal wrote:

I'm not sure you know what "fanboy" means, as you call someone else a fanboy while you flood the forums about how great bitcoin is...

Bitcoin IS great - and a forum is an open discussion plattform. Your opinion is as welcome as my opinion. If this "flood" is to much for you, than just ignore it. People with the same opinion are glad to read this, and i am sure there a many ;)

Every forum on the net you have pushed this and you still do not give up, how many times does no mean no to you.  If LL stupidly did allow it many of us will go and LL know it. Every post you say the same thing, E.G

You are talking about money laundering with Bitcoin.

Do you call the following organizations money laundering organizations?

- Ebay (Thinking about offering Bitcoin as payment option)

- Google (Thinking about integrating Bitcoin as payment option in Google Wallet > Android Apps)

- Zynga (Accepting Bitcoin)

- Overstock.com (Accepting Bitcoin for payments)

- Virgin / Virgin Galactics (Richard Branson - Accepting Bitcoin)

- US government (Accepting Bitcoin for Donations, Selling Bitcoin from criminal organizations)

- 20.000 shops worldwide, feel free to google them all.

SLUniverse are fed up wih it and so are we.

Its only a contra argument.

The guy says with other words, these companies are money laundering companies.

Back to the topic: Will Bitcoin be accepted by the Local Payments Program?

Its more a question directly to LL because the phone support is so weak and quiet.

BTW: i see the same "Contra Bitcoin" guys in every thread i've opened and it has nothing to do with my topic, steph and co.

This was all over the news yesterday. Not that I'm a huge fan of Apple, but the move does illustrate the massive power of Cupertino.

The reports of enraged Bitcoin believers smashing their iPhones for a promised Nexus 5 replacement are also hilarious. Two things about that:

1. The (quite impressive) Nexus 5 is so inexpensive as to be the rounding error on Bitcoin's daily volatility, and
  2. WTF are Bitcoin faithful doing, owning non-jailbroke iPhones?

This flock is so ripe for fleecing!

I am a at a loss on this Bitcoin obsessive group, they are sounding more like a religious order. Gold rush syndrome, someone says they found gold "in them there hills" thousands rush to buy claims from people that just happen to be selling and five years later realize there is nothing there. Were have the land claim sellers gone, um? IDK silly analogy I guess.

That was a very interesting article. I believe you're right about the readiness for fleecing, too. The whole bitcoin thing seemed a bit off to me from the first time I learned of it and it's moved steadily in the 'off' direction ever since.

I think Steph is right. There appears to be more faith-based support for Bitcoin than would normally be the case for an enterprise. There is always a faith element—investors invest because they have faith that the new idea will catch on—but I think the Bitcoin backers are well beyond that normal level.

By the way, Steph: that was a famous expression you used about the hills, but to get it perfectly right in American English you must say, "Them thar hills". It needs that cowboy/desert rat/bohunk sound.

Qie Niangao wrote:

was all over the news yesterday. Not that I'm a huge fan of Apple, but the move does illustrate the massive power of Cupertino.

The reports of enraged Bitcoin believers smashing their iPhones for a promised Nexus 5 replacement are also hilarious. Two things about that:
  1. The (quite impressive) Nexus 5 is so inexpensive as to be the rounding error on Bitcoin's daily volatility, and
  2. WTF are Bitcoin faithful doing, owning non-jailbroke iPhones?

This flock is
so
ripe for fleecing!

Great ;)

Since Steve Jobs is dead Apple is doing the biggest **bleep**, like at lifetimes when Steve Jobs was out of Apple.

And of which "Power of Cupertino" you are talking about? Bitcoin is a threat for them.

Google likes Bitcoin and are thinking about integrating it in Google Wallet, which is used for paying Android Apps.

Its well known that Apple is doing this because they cash 30% of all Appstore earnings. Bitcoin is a threat for them going around this. They are as well thinking about an own "crypto" currency. I think it will be more like these childish Amazon Coins.

Here are Bitcoin Users using IPhone (as a contrary picture to the "power of cupertino") :

https://www.change.org/petitions/apple-allow-bitcoin-wallets-on-the-iphone

I wish Apple all the best with this decision. Google doesnt need any wishes - they know what they do.

• 1 month later...

Maybe you should do a little more research first before making yourself look like a fool. Bitcoin is now officially accepted at Overstock.com amongst several other places and the community behind it like to focus on the open and honest aspect of trading.  The silkroad thing and any bad parts like that are all just one small part, and let me remind you that all local currencies are also used for those types of behaviors.

Antonio

Well, Virwox takes Bitcoin so theres plenty of Bitcoin Lindens in the system now, it would just be easier if they took bitcoin directly. And no one cares if you or your company leave. Bye. lol

The latest (March 27, 2014) Freakonomics radio podcast is entitled "Why Everybody Who Doesn't Hate Bitcoin Loves It". The tagline goes:

Thinking of Bitcoin as just a digital currency is like thinking about the Internet as just e-mail. Its potential is much more exciting than that.

Pretty interesting, and includes some technical reasons that still motivate me to read and sometimes post to these threads, even though I think the specific instance of cryptocurrency called "Bitcoin" is very unlikely to ever have much significance, for a whole host of reasons.

(There are also specific reasons why Bitcoin is mostly redundant in Second Life; in contrast, however, it seems that the L$ is uniquely attractive to certain Bitcoin traders, as we've discussed a bit "across the street.")

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3805 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.